•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Boller & Chivens retirement

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:55 PM

Look what I just found! It’s still a useful reference for working on older equipment. This is the 1963 edition which was several years old when I had the class. Textbooks stayed in print much longer back then. Now the textbook publishers are constantly renumbering pages and adding pictures just to put out a new edition every year or two in a greedy attempt to circumvent the used book market.

...reading the "Electrical Measurements" index had me remembering some of the my practicals in training school - calculating & making shunts for ammeters & series resistors for voltmeters. (nowadays I cannot even recall the FSD - "full scale deflection" of a "standard" meter...probably 1mA or less)

Then the "Power Supplies" index had me recalling 80's...5Y3's & 6X4's etc rectifying tubes, winding centre-tapped transformers with valve heater-filament windings, etc, etc. lol.gif

My old man had tech books piled high from Oz, the US & UK on almost everything valve/vacuum tube & electronics in general...I still have hundreds of tubes & even an old valve-tester from him that I really should pass on to someone who can use them!

Perhaps some old radio ham might read this & recall my old man yarning to others around the globe back in the days of yore - call sign VK5MU. lol.gif

• Terra Nova likes this

#77 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:34 AM

...reading the "Electrical Measurements" index had me remembering some of the my practicals in training school - calculating & making shunts for ammeters & series resistors for voltmeters. (nowadays I cannot even recall the FSD - "full scale deflection" of a "standard" meter...probably 1mA or less)

Then the "Power Supplies" index had me recalling 80's...5Y3's & 6X4's etc rectifying tubes, winding centre-tapped transformers with valve heater-filament windings, etc, etc. lol.gif

My old man had tech books piled high from Oz, the US & UK on almost everything valve/vacuum tube & electronics in general...I still have hundreds of tubes & even an old valve-tester from him that I really should pass on to someone who can use them!

Perhaps some old radio ham might read this & recall my old man yarning to others around the globe back in the days of yore - call sign VK5MU. lol.gif

I love re-visiting my old college textbooks from time to time. I also have a couple of my dad’s and also a couple that belonged to my uncle who was a civil engineer.

Edited by Terra Nova, 04 April 2021 - 07:34 AM.

#78 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:35 AM

I had that same book my first semester at Case in 1967! I believe the cover was a dark blue with that same design.

‘67 was my first semester in college as well Bob!

• rcwolpert likes this

#79 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:48 AM

+1

I have looked through several large scopes with very good optics. They suffer a universal challenge; very long focal lengths and high magnification that rarely matches the limits permitted by seeing. The trick is coming up with a combination of eyepieces and focal reducers that reduce the magnification to a reasonable level. If you can, they often blossom into fine performers.

• gnabgib likes this

#80 MassiveRedTelescope

MassiveRedTelescope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Today, 06:34 AM

Progress on saving the Berea College 16-inch Boller and Chivens Telescope

Many thanks to you all for your responses of support for my efforts in saving Berea College's B&C.  I am delighted in that one of our number has offered to pay the $15,000 cost of removing the telescope and dome from atop the condemned science building.  The person offering to pay for removal is also an accomplished telescope restorer and ATS member.   This still does not guarantee success.  There is now the matter of educating the college's board of directors about the additional effort required to actually remove the instrument intact. 

Berea College is very careful about its perception by the public and protects its reputation diligently.  This is my reason for posting today.  If you are aware of stories about the tragic loss of a significant instrument that was owned by an institution and a negative reaction by the public, I'd like to hear about it.  Please send me stories and links via PM.

Berea's board of directors meets this week and I'd like to get a message to them and college president Dr. Lyle Roelofs on Monday.

My apologies if you have tried to communicate with me via Cloudy Nights without success.  I am not a regular user but the power of this forum is now dawning on me!

Edited by mdowns, Today, 06:58 AM.

• gnabgib, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics