•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best refractor in the 3,000 to 4,000 USD (visual and DSLR photo)

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#51 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:56 PM

Yeah... if you mean zero light falloff, I suspect there are none, but my NP101is has only minor falloff to a full frame easily corrected by flats.

If you mean perfect round stars at center and corner... well, it's a work in progress for me, I did something stupid and did not design my imaging train so I could adjust backfocus (I just ordered parts to hit the number they said). I think I'm a mm or so short (or long) and so get a tiny bit of coma in the far corners. But I don't think it is the optics, I think it was stupidity's cost. But I cannot prove it.

And of course there's just "how flat is flat". Does that mean zero measurable variation in PSF or eccentricity measures? Or "not noticeable to a human". I'm after the latter, and even with what I can see is wrong, I think the NP101is meets that. When I look at a final wide image nothing says "not flat". Example (very large image, bandwidth warning): https://photos.smugm..._Narrowband.jpg

There's some "shape" to the corner stars, but at any reasonable viewing distance I do not think you can see it.

Visually no star elongation. I think it’s pushing it to have measurably no star elongation.

As for the FSQ106, it’s possible I have a problem with mine but even looking at the spot diagrams for the FSQ106, with small pixels across a full frame sensor, I think it’s questionable whether “visually” a flat frame is possible.

I’d be delighted to be wrong so I’m not looking for a bust up!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics