•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mac lunar/planetary stacking software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 28 March 2021 - 11:06 AM

Two nights ago I was in my backyard looking at the stars (a pretty frequent occurrence) and cursing the presence of the big bright moon that was screwing up my ability to see fainters stars.  That's when I decided to break out my DSLR (full frame) and 100-400mm lens, put them on my tripod, and try to get a decent shot of the moon.  I ended up getting some OK shots and once I was done I went looking for some software to stack the images on MacOS (I know, I know get a Windows VM...I just can't stand that OS and will go to extreme lengths to not even run it in a VM).  I already have Siril, but didn't realize that could be used for planetary/lunar stacking.  I ended up downloading and using Lynkeos to the stack the images and ended up with something I liked (albeit I went a little overboard with the wavelet settings).

So, my question is are there any other Mac folks that use lunar stacking software on their Macs instead of running in a Windows VM?  And if so, what do you use?  I'm going to give Siril a try and see what I can come up with, but I was just wondering if there were other alternatives I wasn't aware of.

And here's the shot I ended up with for tax. smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• MoonStackedSharpened.jpg

• Kenny V. likes this

#2 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 March 2021 - 11:32 AM

Very nice image! 

I use FireCapture for capturing lunar video, and PlanetarySystemStacker to stack/process the images.

Both programs run great on the Mac, though installing PSS requires installing python3 and working with a package manager (PIP). I have Parallels and I used to run AstroStakkert! and Registax under Windows like everybody else, but I think PSS is both easier and produces better results. 

DM me if you need some help getting it installed.

imrbium - 1 (1).jpeg

Edited by airscottdenning, 28 March 2021 - 11:36 AM.

• John_Moore, KJL and jpengstrom like this

#3 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 28 March 2021 - 11:44 AM

Very nice image! 

I use FireCapture for capturing lunar video, and PlanetarySystemStacker to stack/process the images.

Both programs run great on the Mac, though installing PSS requires installing python3 and working with a package manager (PIP). I have Parallels and I used to run AstroStakkert! and Registax under Windows like everybody else, but I think PSS is both easier and produces better results. 

DM me if you need some help getting it installed.

Thanks for the recommendations!  Looks like FireCapture only supports QHY and ZWO cameras on MacOS.  Right now I'm shooting with my DSLR but when I eventually upgrade I'll keep that in mind.  I'll check out PSS - I'm familiar with PIP and python3 but if I run into any trouble I'll send you a message.

• airscottdenning likes this

#4 jeffry7

jeffry7

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 March 2021 - 12:12 PM

+1 for PSS.

The dev is here on the forums and there is a thread for support issues.

https://www.cloudyni...ser-experience/

https://www.cloudyni...ution-problems/

I am not a Mac user myself, but I understand you can run Wine on it, which is a program to let you run Windows programs in non Windows environments. Might be worth checking. I use Wine in Linux to run PIPP and Autostakkert.

• jpengstrom likes this

#5 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 28 March 2021 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the recommendations!  Looks like FireCapture only supports QHY and ZWO cameras on MacOS.  Right now I'm shooting with my DSLR but when I eventually upgrade I'll keep that in mind.  I'll check out PSS - I'm familiar with PIP and python3 but if I run into any trouble I'll send you a message.

You probably don't need specialized capture software with your DSLR anyway. Just shoot videos on the camera or with vendor-supplied software, and then process them on the mac in PSS.

• jpengstrom likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics