•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyFi Wireless Telescope Control

Accessories Astrometry Beginner Equipment Mount SCT
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 arshadwm

arshadwm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:14 AM

I need advise on SkyFi Wifi scope control 

is it good ? Better then Celestron Wifi Module. 

I'm getting lot of issues with Celestron Wifi Module and want to replace with SkyFi. 

Thank You. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 47D3E36D-494B-43FB-BD09-564AD1D90255.jpeg

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:23 AM

It's MUCH better!  It has a stronger signal; can be connected via Mini-USB or 9-pin Serial; it can control over 50 Telescope 'Brands' (That's close to 200 hundred different mounts!) and you can move it between mounts!; it uses the SkySafari App, which has SO many Stars & Objects, it makes SkyPortal look like a toy.

#3 AtlantaAstro

AtlantaAstro

Mariner 2

• Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:41 AM

Have you tried sky portal with sky safari? I’m pretty satisfied with the results. But Skyfi will work on your scope. Whether it’s “better” is subjective.

#4 Sky_LO

Sky_LO

No Kick - Mount Marker Lights

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 29 March 2021 - 11:39 AM

I have the celestron wi-fi dongle/module.  Lots of monkeying with it.  Squirrely.

I had an issue with it working (as a test) indoors and then disconnecting outdoors

Indoors was sheltered.  Outdoors, too many networks looked "superior" to my tablet as celestron has no "internet"

so the tablet was rejecting it.  EVEN though you told the tablet to prioritize the celestron and 

telling the tablet to use the celestron network without internet...it would still disconnect, 

I had no luck with "direct connect" mode.  Maybe it would work in the middle of the desert where there are no other networks to interfere, but it wasn't working for me.   

I solved the issue by using "access point" mode.  I do want to take the scope into the field, so I created the access point as a "personal hotspot" on my phone.  So celestron would connect though the phone and phone to the tablet

via the phone hotspot.     This totally worked and the celestron is now stable by using the phone hotspot.   

This approach would probably fail in the middle of the desert, but all of my dark sky locations do have internet access.  I don't have any that don't.   

You might want to try this fix for the celestron module before spending more $$ . 

-Lauren    

Edited by Sky_LO, 29 March 2021 - 11:40 AM.

• AtlantaAstro likes this

#5 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:10 PM

I have not used the Celestron WiFi, but the SkyFi works great! Luv it!

• Bean614 likes this

#6 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Gemini

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 29 March 2021 - 02:06 PM

As far as I know, you would need the hand controller for SkyFi.  The celestron version replaces the hand controller.

#7 atnbirdie

atnbirdie

Mariner 2

• Loc: Middletown, MD

Posted 29 March 2021 - 06:45 PM

I haven't used the Celestron device, just SkyFi and I love it.  It works perfectly on my Celestron CPC1100 and AVX mounts.  I can totally control the scope from my SkySafari app using the SkyFi connection.  You can still control the scope with your Celestron HC even while connected to SkyFi.  However, I have at times had issues arise if I'm connected to the scope with SkyFi and then try to do a GoTo from the HC.  Just using the direction buttons on the HC while connected to SkyFi is no problem, but pulling up the HC database and initiating a GoTo from it while connected to SkyFi can cause problems requiring reboot (and so re-alignment) of your scope (although you can skip the re-alignment by choosing "use last alignment").  So if I'm going to use the HC for a database GoTo, I just 'disconnect' from SkyFi, then reconnect when finished.

All that said, I use my SkySafari w/SkyFi connection every time I go out to observe.  When just controlling from SkySafari, I've never had any problem establishing or maintaining connection to my mounts.  SkyFi is very powerful and reliable.

#8 arshadwm

arshadwm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:20 PM

Thank You all. In SkySafari which scope should I select. Mine is Alt Azm Mount with Wedge. There’s no option of wedge in it b

#9 arshadwm

arshadwm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 March 2021 - 07:21 PM

Thank You all. In SkySafari which scope should I select. Mine is Alt Azm Mount with Wedge. There’s no option of wedge in it b

#10 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 March 2021 - 08:27 AM

"Mine is Alt Azm Mount with Wedge.".......?????????????????????

WHICH(!) 'alt/az mount with Wedge' do you have?  Brand & Model?

#11 arshadwm

arshadwm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:51 AM

Celestron cpc EdgeHD deluxe 1100 Alt Azm Mount with Wedge

#12 arshadwm

arshadwm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:46 PM

Thank You all. 

#13 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:44 PM

On SkySafari------  For SCOPE TYPE:  select "Celestron CPC"

For MOUNT TYPE:  select "GoTo Equatorial (Fork)"

Done

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrometry, Beginner, Equipment, Mount, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics