•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New line of APO refractors from TS Germany

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 Deadlake

Deadlake

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 March 2021 - 04:02 AM

Did anybody notice that the 102mm F/7 comes with a 3.7" focuser (!) ?

Yes. For the 130mm the "Working distance of 140 mm can be extended to 240 mm by removing the extension between tube and focuser". This adds a lot of flexibility. The weight is also on the heavy side, 11 kg. The 3.7" focuser adds to this.

#27 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:15 AM

Yes. For the 130mm the "Working distance of 140 mm can be extended to 240 mm by removing the extension between tube and focuser". This adds a lot of flexibility. The weight is also on the heavy side, 11 kg. The 3.7" focuser adds to this.

I would have liked a 3.7" focuser in a 80mm . lol.gif

#28 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:24 AM

I'm a bit confused by the 90mm.  It's listed as a 90mm f/6, but also as a 90/600.

https://www.teleskop...Zertifikat.html

Umm...

Clear Skies,

Phil

#29 Ben the Ignorant

Ben the Ignorant

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: At the center of the exploding Universe, where it is safe

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:02 AM

It's only because the older version had a 600mm focal length. They wrote that 600mm figure so many times they did it again. 

#30 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:48 AM

The 90mm is quite compact and would be very portable - also a good choice for astrophotography. The 102 would make a slightly better visual scope, but should be very good for imaging also. Focal length really depends upon what you want to frame and your sensor size.  The  3.7 inch focuser on the 102mm is a really nice step up over the 2.5 inch on the 90mm. I  would choose the 102mm over the 90mm just for the focuser and at not much difference in price.  You should buy both.

Edited by drd715, 31 March 2021 - 12:02 PM.

#31 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:19 PM

Guys like me, who like to look through eyepieces, would like longer focal ratios. What's the problem with a 80 mm @ F8?

How about the Stella Mira from FLO.  80 mm f/10 using FPL53.  At 848 BP's a bit more than the TS offering, but looks like it would satisfy your needs.  A real beauty!

Edit: Forgot to mention it comes with a sturdy case and that price includes VAT.  For a US buyer ~770 BP's, including shipping.

https://www.firstlig...rp-focuser.html

Dom Q.

Edited by daquad, 31 March 2021 - 12:27 PM.

#32 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 31 March 2021 - 01:22 PM

Did anybody notice that the 102mm F/7 comes with a 3.7" focuser (!) ?

Hello Voyager3,

That's Afirmative Ghost Rider.

#33 Wow!

Wow!

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:14 PM

So I was always planning on getting a TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130 mm f/7 (3.7") towards the end of this year. That one retails for about € 2k.

The similar scope in this new line is this one

What makes this latter scope €600 more expensive? Am I missing something?

#34 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:54 AM

So I was always planning on getting a TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 130 mm f/7 (3.7") towards the end of this year. That one retails for about € 2k.

The similar scope in this new line is this one

From the TS website...

"The color-pure 130 mm apochromat is equally well suited for visual observation and astrophotography. Thanks to the FPL55 APO element, the imaging is first-class and in practice indistinguishable from the world-famous LZOS lenses from Russia."

"The Apos are equipped with new R&P ball bearing slides that support heavy accessories."

"Each CF-APO is optically checked before shipment. A certificate with serial number is enclosed to the apos."

Based on the above statements from TS, I’m guessing that TS wants you to believe that the optical figure on the lens is better, the focuser is up a notch in quality and the scopes are checked before shipping.

Now, that is what they “say”. Whether any of that is true is another question. Is the optical figure “in practice” as good as a lens from LZOS like they say? And what does “in practice” mean? The lens is either as good as a LZOS lens or it is not. Sounds like a marketing phrase to me, unless they can clarify. One might also wonder why the APM/LZOS 130 F6 is TWICE the price of this scope.

Certificates are worthless. Getting a piece of paper does not mean that you are getting a good lens. Just ask if there is a minimum optical quality guarantee on these new offerings and what that might be. And how is that different from similar previous offerings. Also ask if you have the scope independently tested and the results differ, can you return the scope for a full refund?  

I’m sure these scopes are fine telescopes but there are some marketing/promotional gray areas that need clarification.

Bob

#35 Nippon

Nippon

Skylab

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:23 PM

From the TS website...

"The color-pure 130 mm apochromat is equally well suited for visual observation and astrophotography. Thanks to the FPL55 APO element, the imaging is first-class and in practice indistinguishable from the world-famous LZOS lenses from Russia."

"The Apos are equipped with new R&P ball bearing slides that support heavy accessories."

"Each CF-APO is optically checked before shipment. A certificate with serial number is enclosed to the apos."

Based on the above statements from TS, I’m guessing that TS wants you to believe that the optical figure on the lens is better, the focuser is up a notch in quality and the scopes are checked before shipping.

Now, that is what they “say”. Whether any of that is true is another question. Is the optical figure “in practice” as good as a lens from LZOS like they say? And what does “in practice” mean? The lens is either as good as a LZOS lens or it is not. Sounds like a marketing phrase to me, unless they can clarify. One might also wonder why the APM/LZOS 130 F6 is TWICE the price of this scope.

Certificates are worthless. Getting a piece of paper does not mean that you are getting a good lens. Just ask if there is a minimum optical quality guarantee on these new offerings and what that might be. And how is that different from similar previous offerings. Also ask if you have the scope independently tested and the results differ, can you return the scope for a full refund?  

I’m sure these scopes are fine telescopes but there are some marketing/promotional gray areas that need clarification.

Bob

You know they would probably be better off if they just said the optics perform to the theoretical limits for their aperture rather than saying they are as good as some legendary optic.

Edited by Nippon, 06 April 2021 - 02:23 PM.

#36 Deadlake

Deadlake

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:04 PM

You know they would probably be better off if they just said the optics perform to the theoretical limits for their aperture rather than saying they are as good as some legendary optic.

The lens cell for a 130 mm LZOS is nearly 4500 EUR’s on its own, so indeed if you believe you get what you pay for then some claims being made. OK-1 and OK-4 only comes from one place....

#37 Wow!

Wow!

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:19 AM

From the TS website...

Bob

Yeah the more I look into this, the less interested I am. 

If it's marketing, it's poor marketing. It's done the opposite job with this consumer....

#38 jerr

jerr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:48 AM

Blue color it could be.

• Wow! likes this

#39 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 07 April 2021 - 03:21 PM

My scope arrived the country, but because i didn't get the tracking number and didn't expected the arrival they called me for delivery but have to pay duties and VAT, i didn't have the payment, so i told them to just keep it with them for few days until i can get the money to pay and receive the scope.

It is TS Optics 90mm F/6 FPL-55, i hope i will be happy with this scope and it will be my main scope next to another scopes i will be using, can't wait.

I won't do any reviews as i am not good at all in this, i will just share box and scope images in Facebook, and later when i have data from this scope i will share it everywhere, i will think about using my new latest camera 294M-Pro with it first, but no filters so maybe D2 filter which i also need to test more.

#40 jerr

jerr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:09 PM

My scope arrived the country, but because i didn't get the tracking number and didn't expected the arrival they called me for delivery but have to pay duties and VAT, i didn't have the payment, so i told them to just keep it with them for few days until i can get the money to pay and receive the scope.

It is TS Optics 90mm F/6 FPL-55, i hope i will be happy with this scope and it will be my main scope next to another scopes i will be using, can't wait.

I won't do any reviews as i am not good at all in this, i will just share box and scope images in Facebook, and later when i have data from this scope i will share it everywhere, i will think about using my new latest camera 294M-Pro with it first, but no filters so maybe D2 filter which i also need to test more.

Hi Tareq,

I see that you can't wait for that scope - she's alredy landed at your footnote...

#41 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:24 PM

Hi Tareq,

I see that you can't wait for that scope - she's alredy landed at your footnote...

If i had the money then i will pay the duties and then i will be busy unboxing it and sharing pics of the scope [not out of the scope yet lol.gif ]

Now, the next step is, getting a reducer for it and a camera, i will delay a second scope for later.

#42 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:26 PM

By the way, Blue color is my favorite, so that i like the scope, i will use my Pegasus Focus Cube V2 which is blue with it, i hope it is compatible with the focuser, i just don't know if there is any focuser of 3" for it or 3.7" maybe, but that will be like too much wasting money where i can put it elsewhere better.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics