•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

brass televue renaissance f5.5

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kelsiraed

kelsiraed

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2021 - 09:58 PM

Hey so I am the new owner of this Renaissance f5.5 best I can make out it's serial number 1004 which makes it the 4th one to be built? How rare are these? Is this something that should be preserved and restored or modified to be more modern and useful? I'm more interested in imaging than in visual astronomy so I'd prefer to stick a moonlite on it and install it on my side by side

renwhole.jpg

rensn.jpg

Edited by kelsiraed, 30 March 2021 - 09:59 PM.

• Paul Hyndman, Bomber Bob, jcruse64 and 1 other like this

#2 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:07 PM

It is certainly your telescope and you can do with it as you wish.

If it were mine, I'd lean towards leaving it be as a nice, classic, visual instrument. The Renaissance was a neat design and is kind of cool to leave original (or at least convertible back). Moreover, for imaging, I suspect that you can do better.

• kelsiraed likes this

#3 kelsiraed

kelsiraed

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:13 PM

Moreover, for imaging, I suspect that you can do better.

definitely could I may just end up selling it

#4 ravenhawk82

ravenhawk82

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:19 PM

I think a gold anodized Moonlite on that thing would turn it into a wonderful modern tool while retaining the classic vibes. Telescopes are tools, and if you can make a tool more useful by changing it I'm of the opinion that there's no reason not to. Just keep whatever you replace so that you can restore it back if you ever decide to sell it, but if I had that scope I'd absolutely upgrade it like you suggest.

• Terra Nova and kelsiraed like this

#5 Peter Ceravolo

Peter Ceravolo

Vendor (Ceravolo Optical Systems)

Posted 31 March 2021 - 12:41 AM

Check out my thread on my Renaissance touch up.

https://www.cloudyni...naissance-1778/

• PawPaw, Bomber Bob and walter a like this

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:07 AM

I think a gold anodized Moonlite on that thing would turn it into a wonderful modern tool while retaining the classic vibes. Telescopes are tools, and if you can make a tool more useful by changing it I'm of the opinion that there's no reason not to. Just keep whatever you replace so that you can restore it back if you ever decide to sell it, but if I had that scope I'd absolutely upgrade it like you suggest.

Or a Feathertouch focuser.

#7 kelsiraed

kelsiraed

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:54 PM

I was considering a black moonlite because I really love my moonlites but even that would be more than I paid for this scope :D

#8 Peter Ceravolo

Peter Ceravolo

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:26 PM

I was considering a black moonlite because I really love my moonlites but even that would be more than I paid for this scope laugh.gif

I'm not a big fan of forcing an instrument to do something it wasn't designed to do. If your intent is astro-imaging, I would consider another instrument, a more modern apo. I have a William Optics GTF 81 that is fabulous for off axis images - flat field - and uniform illumination on a 35mm format camera.

Broad band imaging with the Renaissance will be compromised by chromatics, but narrow band should be ideal with constant refocusing between filters. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

The Renaissance was designed before apos were generally available. Al Nagler teamed a long focus objective with a focal reducer type doublet in back (a Petzval lens) to offer a well corrected wide field instrument with relatively little chromatic aberration. I've used my Renaissance at 500x - great images! Visually the color is not that bad at all. But at the same time it's a lot longer and heavier than a typical modern apo with ad on field corrector of similar fl.

I think the Renaissance is a great visual scope. Cleaned up the brass looks great in the garden and living room too!

IMG_2606b.JPG

• Paul Schroeder, SkyRanger, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#9 kelsiraed

kelsiraed

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2021 - 01:36 AM

I'm not a big fan of forcing an instrument to do something it wasn't designed to do. If your intent is astro-imaging, I would consider another instrument, a more modern apo. I have a William Optics GTF 81 that is fabulous for off axis images - flat field - and uniform illumination on a 35mm format camera.

Broad band imaging with the Renaissance will be compromised by chromatics, but narrow band should be ideal with constant refocusing between filters. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

The Renaissance was designed before apos were generally available. Al Nagler teamed a long focus objective with a focal reducer type doublet in back (a Petzval lens) to offer a well corrected wide field instrument with relatively little chromatic aberration. I've used my Renaissance at 500x - great images! Visually the color is not that bad at all. But at the same time it's a lot longer and heavier than a typical modern apo with ad on field corrector of similar fl.

I think the Renaissance is a great visual scope. Cleaned up the brass looks great in the garden and living room too!

attachicon.gifIMG_2606b.JPG

I agree peter I tried it out last night with a few of my eye pieces and provided some fantastic views. You seem to have the slightly newer version with the name/model tag on the focuser instead of the clamshell. your focuser also seems to thread on if I'm correct? This one is bolt on. I adjusted it a bit and cleaned it and it's much more solid and less wiggly but I still wouldn't trust an imaging train on it. I talked to ron newman of moonlite and they don't sell an adapter for this design I modeled the face of the rear of the telescope in fusion 360. focuser model.png focusertvold.jpg

I haven't been able to find a comparable example of this telescope for sale anywhere if I was to sell it I'm not sure what a fair price would be

• Bomber Bob likes this

#10 kelsiraed

kelsiraed

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2021 - 05:11 AM

I got it mounted and tested it out last night for ap it's not too shabby optically a little bit of ca  Ex8-CVvVEAEiH_F.jpg renpinsmall.jpg

Edited by kelsiraed, 02 April 2021 - 05:13 AM.

• Paul Schroeder, Paul Hyndman, RichA and 4 others like this

#11 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:16 AM

I agree peter I tried it out last night with a few of my eye pieces and provided some fantastic views. You seem to have the slightly newer version with the name/model tag on the focuser instead of the clamshell. your focuser also seems to thread on if I'm correct? This one is bolt on. I adjusted it a bit and cleaned it and it's much more solid and less wiggly but I still wouldn't trust an imaging train on it. I talked to ron newman of moonlite and they don't sell an adapter for this design I modeled the face of the rear of the telescope in fusion 360. attachicon.giffocuser model.pngattachicon.giffocusertvold.jpg

I haven't been able to find a comparable example of this telescope for sale anywhere if I was to sell it I'm not sure what a fair price would be

looks like the scope has not seen any use in a long time?

#12 kelsiraed

kelsiraed

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:19 AM

looks like the scope has not seen any use in a long time?

Yes i went through it though and cleaned the spider webs out :)
  • Paul Hyndman and Terra Nova like this

#13 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

Yes i went through it though and cleaned the spider webs out smile.gif

Spiders seem to  love telescopes.   I have had my share.

• kelsiraed likes this

#14 Peter Ceravolo

Peter Ceravolo

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:55 PM

I got it mounted and tested it out last night for ap it's not too shabby optically a little bit of ca  attachicon.gifEx8-CVvVEAEiH_F.jpgattachicon.gifrenpinsmall.jpg

That's better perfermance than I would have thought!

I now remember comparing the 4" Renaissance to a 4" f/7 Stellar Vue Apo, not much difference visually.

• kelsiraed likes this

#15 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:11 AM

I got it mounted and tested it out last night for ap it's not too shabby optically a little bit of ca  attachicon.gifEx8-CVvVEAEiH_F.jpgattachicon.gifrenpinsmall.jpg

Thats  a nice 101 with your 101.waytogo.gif

• kelsiraed likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics