•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Canadian Omcon

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 RobVG

RobVG

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle Washington

Posted 02 April 2021 - 02:11 AM

For what it's worth, I paid 65 CA$ for the 811s. A little much for the condition it was in, but I'm looking forward to see what it can do.

• LDW47 likes this

#27 RobVG

RobVG

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle Washington

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:55 AM

Thanks to "Gemini" for the detailed information .

#28 Dwight J

Dwight J

Soyuz

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 02 April 2021 - 12:20 PM

I have a couple of Omcon finders; an 8X50 straight thru and a 12X80.  They used to be one if the dealers that would flog their wares at the Mt. Kobau Star Party waaay back. 

• RobVG likes this

#29 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:27 PM

I have known Glen Speers personally since Sept. 1984 when I just showed up out of the blue at his office/factory/warehouse which was located in a small industrial park just east of number 5 rd. Richmond centered between Bridgeport and Viking way. I was looking for a good deal on a pair of 11X80 binoculars inspired because I had recently purchased and read Terrance Dickenson's Night Watch. A telescope shop in Vancouver wanted $599.00 for a pair of Celestron orange box 11X80 astronomical binoculars. Ouch!

Glen offered to sell me an identical set of 11X80 "white box" astronomical binoculars for $245.00 which I paid for with a post-dated personal cheque. And as Rick said at the end of Casablanca, "I think could be the beggining of a beautiful friendship", which did happen. 

BTW, in the early days Glens products were known as "Omnicon" which later became Omcon. 

Over the next 4 decades I purchased about 10 telescopes, numerous eyepieces, binoculars and various accessories from Glen. He is an upstanding, straight-shooter of a guy. The fact that his company has lasted this long while others have gone out of business should say something about Glen. Interesting fact, Glen possesses a Master's Degree in Optics from the University of British Columbia and is incredibly experienced and very knowledgeable.

While his operation has moved to a new location, but is still located in Richmond, Glen has not changed. He is the same hounorable businessman full of integrity. You will not regret making any purchase from his company.

I am proud that I got to know Glen!

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

• brian dewelles, LDW47, Rick-T137 and 2 others like this

#30 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:51 PM

I have known Glen Speers personally since Sept. 1984 when I just showed up out of the blue at his office/factory/warehouse which was located in a small industrial park just east of number 5 rd. Richmond centered between Bridgeport and Viking way. I was looking for a good deal on a pair of 11X80 binoculars inspired because I had recently purchased and read Terrance Dickenson's Night Watch. A telescope shop in Vancouver wanted $599.00 for a pair of Celestron orange box 11X80 astronomical binoculars. Ouch!

Glen offered to sell me an identical set of 11X80 "white box" astronomical binoculars for $245.00 which I paid for with a post-dated personal cheque. And as Rick said at the end of Casablanca, "I think could be the beggining of a beautiful friendship", which did happen. 

BTW, in the early days Glens products were known as "Omnicon" which later became Omcon. 

Over the next 4 decades I purchased about 10 telescopes, numerous eyepieces, binoculars and various accessories from Glen. He is an upstanding, straight-shooter of a guy. The fact that his company has lasted this long while others have gone out of business should say something about Glen. Interesting fact, Glen possesses a Master's Degree in Optics from the University of British Columbia and is incredibly experienced and very knowledgeable.

While his operation has moved to a new location, but is still located in Richmond, Glen has not changed. He is the same hounorable businessman full of integrity. You will not regret making any purchase from his company.

I am proud that I got to know Glen!

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

A great write, you are a lucky guy ! As I mentioned, I love my 5 Antares scopes and other accessories ! I never met him, I don’t know him but I had heard he was a great all round, astronomy knowledgeable person ! Anyone who knows his products love their quality and performance vs cost, another Gary Russell for sure. Vive’la all his products, both their products !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics