•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen Polaris 2 finder mount question

Equipment Accessories Classic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lxeth

lxeth

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:31 PM

I'm a relatively new to Cloudy Nights, so if this questions has already been answered somewhere, apologies.

I have a question about mounting a modern 8x50 RACI finder on an old Vixen Polaris 2 80mm scope.

The finder I have uses a standard dovetail mount, but the finder on the older scope is attached with 4 screws/bolts, 1 on each corner.

Does any one know a way to attach a standard dovetail mount to using these 4 screws? All the dovetail mounts I have been able to find online don't seem to have attachment points on the corners, just on the center lines axes.

Attached Thumbnails

• Vixen Polaris 2 finder attachment.jpg

Edited by lxeth, 31 March 2021 - 07:32 PM.

#2 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Apollo

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:35 PM

You will probably need to make an adapter plate with the corner holes and attach a standard Vixen mount to it. A thin piece of aluminum plate would be easy to work with simple hand tools and a drill.

Clear skies.

• Terra Nova likes this

#3 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 31 March 2021 - 07:38 PM

Mount it to a new, separate plate drilled to fit the four original screws and also the new dovetail. An adapter as it were. You can buy metal of various thickness to clear the tube etc. Etc. I do it all the time.

#4 lxeth

lxeth

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 March 2021 - 08:23 PM

Blue Moon and dgreyson, thanks for those suggestions, and for answering so quickly!

I was hoping for something I could just buy, since I don't have the tools to make the adapter plate (living in a small apartment in Japan), but I'll see what I can do!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Accessories, Classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics