•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:50 PM

A slightly different spin on a theme.

And now the purple dusk of twilight time
Steals across the meadows of my heart
High up in the sky the little stars climb
Always reminding me that we're apart
You wander down the lane and far away
Leaving me a song that will not die
Love is now the stardust of yesterday
The music of the years gone by.

1) The basic guideline for this thread is to list ads and auctions that others may be interested in. It is not intended to replace CL or eBay as a site to find all possible classic ads. Please keep your posts to actual "classic" equipment. If you have to ask if it's classic, it probably isn't.

2) Do not post your own ads or the ads of your friends, this includes items you may be trying sell for someone else. This is considered sale promotion in the open forums and is a violation of the CN TOS. Please post your own ads in the Cloudy Nights Classifieds.

3) We request that you do not post photos from ads. If you must have some reference to a photo in the post, post a link to the photo, not the photo itself.

4) Do not post the entire ad text, or large blocks of it, without permission from the author.

5) Concentrate on the item for sale, and not the seller.  Any listed prices must be given in Danish Ore.

6) Although not mandatory, when posting ads, including a short description of the item is a courtesy to others who don't have time to click on every link. It also provides some data when the link is no longer active. Be a little specific.

Here's an example of a good post:

4" f/8 Jaegers OTA on eBay. LINK

Poor post:  4" telescope. LINK

7) Please post a live link to the item. Do not post "PM me for link". We realize that this is an honest attempt to prevent non-CN member flippers from finding the posts, but most of the hard-core flippers are CN members already. Flippers look for bargains, they won't be outbidding you at top-dollar because they won't make any money on the item. Most of the time you are outbid, it is by a fellow Classics CN member.

8) Please limit yourself to one "found" post per hour. If you find more items within that time, just edit your post and add them, or wait until you have finished looking at all the ad sites and post them all at once.

9) Short discussions can take place about the items listed. When quoting a post, edit the quoted post to include only the part you are replying to. Do not quote an entire string of replies. If not quoting, make a note of what your reply pertains to, so others won't misinterpret your reply. Please keep these discussions limited to the actual items posted. If the discussion becomes protracted or the noise level gets too high, these posts will be moved to a new thread. Further comments on the item should then be made in the new thread.

10) Ads that are odd or have humor may find a better home in the Favorite Used Telescope Ad thread.
Posts that do not follow these posting guidelines or are for items not appropriate for this thread may be removed at moderator discretion.

11) Keep on topic, please!!

Buyer Beware- CN is not responsible for any of the ads or auctions posted here or their content. There are some scams floating around, so do your homework before pursuing any ad.

• mdowns, Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#2 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Viking 1

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:07 AM

5)  ....Any listed prices must be given in Danish Ore

I don't get this.  Is this supposed to be funny, or are we supposed to convert to Danish Ore for some reason?

Edited by Sleep Deprived, 01 April 2021 - 12:07 AM.

• Defenderslideguitar and ziggeman like this

#3 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:15 AM

I can see we're off to a great start keeping on topic, but I'm glad to see that you read the rules. wink.gif

• tim53, Vesper818, pbealo and 6 others like this

#4 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:22 AM

I can see we're off to a great start keeping on topic, but I'm glad to see that you read the rules. wink.gif

Ah, moderator who is a trickster...

tempting  tempting. 

(I promise to return with on topic posting. My home internet has been down since Sunday and me cell phone version is just weird to me.) 

LGM

• Ken Sturrock and Defenderslideguitar like this

#5 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vanguard

• Loc: 76707

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:03 AM

Super Polaris mount head.

$1108.81 Krone.

https://www.cloudyni...d made in Japan

• tim53, Sean Cunneen, godelescher and 4 others like this

#6 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:32 AM

Unitron 4” F15

https://buyee.jp/ite...tion/h547325743
  • Defenderslideguitar likes this

#7 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:54 AM

A bit beat up and no mount.   Wonder what the shipping costs on that scope would be?  That is a big box. 

Edited by starman876, 01 April 2021 - 06:54 AM.

• dgreyson and Defenderslideguitar like this

#8 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:56 AM

I don't get this.  Is this supposed to be funny, or are we supposed to convert to Danish Ore for some reason?

I will gladly comply with this requirement.

#9 vvalmiki

vvalmiki

Messenger

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:46 AM

This would be perfect on/for Cloudy Nights.

Regards, Vinay

• starman876 and Terra Nova like this

#10 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:34 AM

Super Polaris mount head.

$1108.81 Krone.

https://www.cloudyni...d made in Japan

Før fænden, mand...You didn't read the rules. Prices must be in øre, not kroner. 100 øre to the krone. One krone = about 20 cents Canadian.

Edited by Senex Bibax, 01 April 2021 - 09:36 AM.

• dgreyson and AstroKerr like this

#11 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:36 AM

Drink and view from the same device.

• AstroKerr likes this

#12 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:05 AM

A bit beat up and no mount.   Wonder what the shipping costs on that scope would be?  That is a big box. 

About the big 4 inch Unitron sans mount and tripod. I am intrigued and partially interested but hesitant. Someday we might be for looking for a big longfellow 4 or 5 inch refractor (Unitron, Edmund, D and G), without the mount and tripod is a limited universe... and there are few folks who have a Unitron mount and tripod without the OTA.....Funny thing about grabbing a local  big capable Unitron 150 mount   you start to look for a big passenger for it....

Yes  it does seem to have had  a lot of use   and wear and tear is obvious on the OTA or more on the ancillary scope / rings

One wonders      what happened to it to get all those bangs and nicks and loss of paint? How did the rest of the telescope do when all the use took place?

And at least there are many pics......there is even a pic of the lens cell   but as has been pointed out   we really need a pic of the lens      there is one but it appears of little or no value  because we cannot see a bloody thing in that lens pic.     So the price so far looks doable   shipping will be expensive    but who's going to ship it? If it was coming from Koji   I would be comfortable...

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 01 April 2021 - 10:12 AM.

• Eric P, jim kuhns, starman876 and 4 others like this

#13 Eric P

Eric P

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:44 AM

Regarding the shipping process for Buyee purchases.  The seller ships to Buyee’s warehouse and the buyer has the option of DHL or FedEx for shipping to the States.  The buyer also has the option of adding protective packaging or combining shipments before Buyee ships.  Shipping prices with FedEx are not horrible.  I just had a Tak tripod (3 ft long box about 13 lbs) shipped to Pennsylvania for $80 which is about half the DHL rate.

• Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#14 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:54 AM

Regarding the shipping process for Buyee purchases.  The seller ships to Buyee’s warehouse and the buyer has the option of DHL or FedEx for shipping to the States.  The buyer also has the option of adding protective packaging or combining shipments before Buyee ships.  Shipping prices with FedEx are not horrible.  I just had a Tak tripod (3 ft long box about 13 lbs) shipped to Pennsylvania for $80 which is about half the DHL rate.

With Japan post EMS and SAL shut down  UPS is currently the least expensive compared to DHL or Fed ex to get items from Japan.  I know this from recent experience.  Anything over 160 cm L+W+H

is very expensive.  If you can keep the item under 160 it is relatively reasonable.  So for this Unitron 102mm F/15 I went and measured one of my boxes for the same OTA model and come up with the following:  65" L + 12" W + 6" H......In Centimeters this adds up to 210.   Way over 160 and that is not including protective packaging.  I estimated the weight will be 45 lbs.  I set the price at 950 usd so no import tax.   Here is the UPS estimate:

UPS Worldwide Expedited

Latest Pickup Time:

By End of Day Thursday

April 1, 2021

Schedule by :

10:00 A.M.

Delivered By:

By End of Day Wednesday

April 7, 2021

737.47  USD *

Billable Weight:

45.0   lbs.

Edited by PawPaw, 01 April 2021 - 10:57 AM.

• RichA, Stew44, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#15 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• Loc: Silver Spring, MD

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:54 AM

A classic scope

And - a truly classic add - read the title carefully

https://www.facebook...af-f0d6b140896f

And - it is only 631.90 DKK

#16 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 01 April 2021 - 11:04 AM

About the big 4 inch Unitron sans mount and tripod. I am intrigued and partially interested but hesitant. Someday we might be for looking for a big longfellow 4 or 5 inch refractor (Unitron, Edmund, D and G), without the mount and tripod is a limited universe... and there are few folks who have a Unitron mount and tripod without the OTA.....Funny thing about grabbing a local  big capable Unitron 150 mount   you start to look for a big passenger for it....

Yes  it does seem to have had  a lot of use   and wear and tear is obvious on the OTA or more on the ancillary scope / rings

One wonders      what happened to it to get all those bangs and nicks and loss of paint? How did the rest of the telescope do when all the use took place?

And at least there are many pics......there is even a pic of the lens cell   but as has been pointed out   we really need a pic of the lens      there is one but it appears of little or no value  because we cannot see a bloody thing in that lens pic.     So the price so far looks doable   shipping will be expensive    but who's going to ship it? If it was coming from Koji   I would be comfortable...

But you are NEVER going to get a better image out of a long 4” achromat (Edmund, Unitron, D&G) than you get with your 4” Tak/C-F/TV so I fail to get the point. It’s just one more thing to store unless you just want a big, looong telescope. At least, that’s what it was for me. I’d rather put a shorter 5” apo on the big 150 mount if it were me.

At any rate, I have a feeling you could find a very nice 4” Unitron OTA from a most reputable vendor and well known CN member just a short hop of a couple hundred miles down I-95 in VA, where you could go get it yourself and have no shipping cost, just gas for a day trip.

Edited by Terra Nova, 01 April 2021 - 11:16 AM.

• wfj, Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#17 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 01 April 2021 - 11:10 AM

With Japan post EMS and SAL shut down  UPS is currently the least expensive compared to DHL or Fed ex to get items from Japan.  I know this from recent experience.  Anything over 160 cm L+W+H

is very expensive.  If you can keep the item under 160 it is relatively reasonable.  So for this Unitron 102mm F/15 I went and measured one of my boxes for the same OTA model and come up with the following:  65" L + 12" W + 6" H......In Centimeters this adds up to 210.   Way over 160 and that is not including protective packaging.  I estimated the weight will be 45 lbs.  I set the price at 950 usd so no import tax.   Here is the UPS estimate:

UPS Worldwide Expedited

Latest Pickup Time:

By End of Day Thursday

April 1, 2021

Schedule by :

Delivered By:

By End of Day Wednesday

April 7, 2021

737.47  USD *

Billable Weight:

45.0   lbs.

Thats about what I figured it would be.  Not really worth it.  

• AstroKerr likes this

#18 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:23 PM

Yes you are both correct of course.....waytogo.gif

thanks for the sage advice

meanwhile  .....Not sure if this was posted before but I .like the Haint Ashbury color of this little 1956 Sears zoom thing.. 50.00

https://nh.craigslis...7288837551.html

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 01 April 2021 - 12:30 PM.

• Terra Nova and Bagwell like this

#19 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 01 April 2021 - 03:14 PM

Kansas City area estate sale Mayflower 816. There don’t appear to be any pictures on the auction site aside from a tag with the model number, indicating it’s in a wooden box. April 2-3.

Pricey FC50 on Ebay coming from Japan. Do the objective coatings look dirty, moldy, or damaged?

Edited by sdedalus83, 01 April 2021 - 03:53 PM.

#20 Sean Cunneen

Sean Cunneen

Let Me Think

• Moderators
  • Loc: Flossmoor Il.

Posted 01 April 2021 - 03:38 PM

I just cleaned up a bunch of off-topic posts in this brand-new thread. I showed leniency on those having trouble with exchange rates but for all others I showed no mercy....  Lets keep the rest of the thread on track please!

Thank you from myself and the other moderat-Ores.

• jim kuhns, strdst, Ken Sturrock and 2 others like this

#21 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:34 PM

https://www.cloudyni...eflector-build/

a better application for a Dynamax mount. 

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#22 Piaget

Piaget

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:55 PM

30LB Towa 305 Telescope w/Extras Bundle AS IS ... Looks like a nice kit shipping $28 for 1000 miles to me ... https://www.shopgood...49#shipping-tab

#23 Piaget

Piaget

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:00 PM

Celestron 8 Schmidt Vintage Telescope W/Case , I do not know the model or size , looks substantial. With base & case $11 now ...https://www.shopgood.../Item/118770471

#24 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:27 PM

UPS Worldwide Expedited

Latest Pickup Time:

By End of Day Thursday

April 1, 2021

Schedule by :

Delivered By:

By End of Day Wednesday

April 7, 2021

737.47  USD *

Billable Weight:

45.0   lbs.

Add that amount to the local shipping from seller to the warehouse, and tax if eligible. Also a payment fee, and a bidding fee.

#25 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:31 PM

At any rate, I have a feeling you could find a very nice 4” Unitron OTA from a most reputable vendor and well known CN member just a short hop of a couple hundred miles down I-95 in VA, where you could go get it yourself and have no shipping cost, just gas for a day trip.

People here forgot that the system is different.

You can't really contact the seller with proxy services for questions or more pictures. You have no return policy after you paid. You basically gamble thousands of dollars for an item based on couple of pictures (which can be deceitful).

Also, the shipping rate is NOT the item weight, because you'd want protective packaging if possible (add cost) and that means it's up to them how secure they pack it up with additional volume for paddings, because you can't contact the seller how you want it to be packaged. (or you can just ship it as it is, and risk of it being banged around in the truck).

• Steve_M_M and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics