•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#26 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

• Loc: Page, AZ 36°54'45"N 111°27'39"W 1327.7AMSL

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:35 AM

Most / All (?) Yahoo Auctions, thru Zen etc, you can contact the seller during the auction and request things - pictures, additional packing if needed if you win - they don't ship the item to Zen until you win, pay Zen for the item & in-country shipping. Extra packing from seller, you take a hit in-country and Int'l - but you can get it from the seller or Zen, save a few øre on in-country by waiting until it gets to Zen.

When Zen gets the item, you can get 3 pix for ¥500 - many times as you want and they will open the package the seller sends them if you okay it.  You can see what the seller shipped it in, actual contents & condition so you can work things out before Int'l shipping, etc. Although it isn't free, I wouldn't call it steep - their base fee is only ¥300. They can add reinforcement, generally edges and corners and lots of tape for ¥1000 (and it does indeed reinforce) and they can do additional boxing - and if they think you need it, they will suggest it - your call. They know to pack tight, light. And no, no returns - you can file claims / damage claims with Zen, UPS, etc - but it isn't going back, no. 12 or 11 transaction now - always been happy.

I've done best with OTAs 100cm or less, sans mounts and particularly CWs whenever I can. Week or two ago UPS volume based weight allowance was (IIRC) 12.5 or 13.5 lbs / ft3, after which weight takes over - otherwise it's dimension. As far as I know, the Big 3 all charge the greater of wt or volumetric wt. Fair enough - I don't have their infrastructure and resources. I could get that Uni 102x1500 in it's case only @ 165x30x15cm here to Page for about $480 - add 10cm to each dimension for ~5cm foam/cardboard all around (175x40x25cm) and it's ~$915 - either way, it's a Stateside purchase in my books. 

Zen with Int'l shipping is pricier, but a lot less risk for damage than SGW/FedEx. Zen listens and accomodates whenever possible (for a fee) and things arrive intact. SGW is more "Hi! Got your request, Thank You" and they shear the trunions anyways. Really Great Ship-Scope-In-Mount Loose/Rattly Packers. 

About Average SGW - 75~100mm slop:

1080xLoose3

Average Zen/YA Japan so far  ~0mm slop (this one 0mm sides, <5mm end may be due to piece Gandalf removed, there was still bubble lower in that end - nothing shifted when box shaken before opening) This was the Mizar 60/1000, seller packed:
1080xTight0

SGW:

Milben 40mm Variable Power Telescope W/Metal Tripod  -=:LiNk:=-

Vintage Kelvin & Hughes London Telescope   -=:LiNk:=-

Bausch & Lomb 60mm Telescope The Discoverer IOB   -=:LiNk:=-

Meade 1000mm f/11 Mirror-Lens Coated Optics   -=:LiNk:=-

Pic No. T1 40x40mm Achromatic Coated Telescope    -=:LiNk:=-  6.32øre shpg.

JCPenney #0135 J-B Catadioptric Telescope   -=:LiNk:=-   

CN:

Celestron C-90   -=:LiNk:=-

Celestron ExploraScope   -=:LiNk:=-

eBay:

Vintage TASCO 9F 400X60mm Telescope in Original Box   -=:LiNk:=-   62,541øre BIN, free shpg

Tasco Vintage Refractor ... #99VR in Original Packaging (1984)   -=:LiNk:=-  94,759øre BIN free shpg

Edited by AstroKerr, 02 April 2021 - 12:22 PM.

• starman876, PawPaw, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#27 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:21 PM

lovely 55 year old classic Edmund gem mount from extremely knowledgeable and trusted member    seems to be nicely maintained , upgraded at a good price......

https://www.cloudyni...ght-edmund-gem/

• Marc-Andre, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 5 others like this

#28 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:51 PM

and poof......just like that it is sold.. someone picked up a nice mount indeed

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and AstroKerr like this

#29 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2021 - 09:20 PM

She has a very generous heart and that is a beautiful, well executed mount. waytogo.gif

Edited by AstroKerr, 02 April 2021 - 09:20 PM.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 2 others like this

#30 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 02 April 2021 - 10:26 PM

Kansas City area estate sale Mayflower 816. There don’t appear to be any pictures on the auction site aside from a tag with the model number, indicating it’s in a wooden box. April 2-3.

Pricey FC50 on Ebay coming from Japan. Do the objective coatings look dirty, moldy, or damaged?

Yes, there is an issue, likely mold as dust inside lenses tends to be uniform.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#31 RichA

RichA

Gemini

Posted 02 April 2021 - 10:31 PM

A classic scope

And - a truly classic add - read the title carefully

https://www.facebook...af-f0d6b140896f

And - it is only 631.90 DKK

They've churned out thousands of those things in the last 10 years.  Junk.

#32 RichA

RichA

Gemini

Posted 02 April 2021 - 10:37 PM

But you are NEVER going to get a better image out of a long 4” achromat (Edmund, Unitron, D&G) than you get with your 4” Tak/C-F/TV so I fail to get the point. It’s just one more thing to store unless you just want a big, looong telescope. At least, that’s what it was for me. I’d rather put a shorter 5” apo on the big 150 mount if it were me.

At any rate, I have a feeling you could find a very nice 4” Unitron OTA from a most reputable vendor and well known CN member just a short hop of a couple hundred miles down I-95 in VA, where you could go get it yourself and have no shipping cost, just gas for a day trip.

I've compared Unitrons to apos.  On planets, they are as good,  the colour is marginal, not a major consideration.  Unless you intend to spend $$$$ on a 130mm apo from the U.S. or Europe, there are ones out there that are not that great, I've owned a couple.  You have a much greater chance of getting a text-book diffraction pattern out of a 4 inch f15 Unitron than a 100-130mm f7-8 apo of middlin' manufacture pedigree. 

• Starsareus, clamchip and Steve Allison like this

#33 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Messenger

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:00 PM

30LB Towa 305 Telescope w/Extras Bundle AS IS ... Looks like a nice kit shipping $28 for 1000 miles to me ... https://www.shopgood...49#shipping-tab

I coudn't comment before but now that mine is sold, how do they ship so cheap? Mine calculated at $114 to Florida.

#34 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2021 - 11:58 PM

I coudn't comment before but now that mine is sold, how do they ship so cheap? Mine calculated at $114 to Florida.

Either GW gets a great discount, or FedEx gets duped (or somehow subsidized for working with a charity?). FedEx 'shipment facts', even just weight, seldom match what GW lists.  Couldn't guess as to how they balance the ledgers on each end, scary thought.

Tasco 4.5” Reflector Telescope / Model 911TR 500mm  -=eBaY=-  $150 BIN, free shpg

Tasco Spotting Scope 32T   -=eBaY=-  $60 BIN, ~$25 shpg  

Mayflower telescope, model 806, 15x60x60   -=eBaY=-   $97 BIN, + shpg

Vintage Sears ... Discoverer Model 412 ... 60/700   -=eBaY=-  $89 BIN, free shpg

Rare Mayflower ... 60mm 15 X 30 X 45 X 60   -=eBaY=-  $98 BIN, LPO Glendale, CA.

VINTAGE AUTHENTIC SIGNED ATCO MINI TABLE TOP TELESCOPE ... NO RES   -=eBaY=-   $40 BIN, low shpg.

Meade D=90mm F=1000mm Telescope Lens   -=SgW=-  West CO, ~$43

Meade 1000mm f/11 Mirror-Lens Coated Optics  -=SgW=-   Orange County, CA  currently $54.21

Edited by AstroKerr, 03 April 2021 - 04:01 PM.

• Bomber Bob and DouglasPaul like this

#35 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:15 AM

Yep!  Ole BB was quick on the click.  Terra saved me hours of work, $$$, and an unsatisfactory situation:  My heavy TN5 hanging off the side of a Vixen clamp on a Big AZ.  I lost my Edmund EQ when I sold the 4" F15 kit -- great to get one back.

• Sean Cunneen, Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and 3 others like this

#36 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:17 AM

She has a very generous heart and that is a beautiful, well executed mount. waytogo.gif

It's gonna look & work great on the Filo.

• Terra Nova and AstroKerr like this

#37 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:20 AM

Yes, there is an issue, likely mold as dust inside lenses tends to be uniform.

After studying ZEN for weeks:  The more honest sellers use a word that translates to JUNK in the item description; and, the ad text points out the major issues; and, they make an honest effort to show those in their photos.

Here's an example of the Other Kind of Ad -- TAK FCT-76:  https://www.ebay.com...cAAOSwVAxgLRFy 

Compare it with one of Koji's ads...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 03 April 2021 - 06:23 AM.

• Littlegreenman and AstroKerr like this

#38 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 03 April 2021 - 07:41 AM

I've compared Unitrons to apos.  On planets, they are as good,  the colour is marginal, not a major consideration.  Unless you intend to spend $$$$ on a 130mm apo from the U.S. or Europe, there are ones out there that are not that great, I've owned a couple.  You have a much greater chance of getting a text-book diffraction pattern out of a 4 inch f15 Unitron than a 100-130mm f7-8 apo of middlin' manufacture pedigree. 

The first time I looked through a 75mm Unitron I was a amazed.  I kept asking myself " now why do I want to buy and APO again?" 

• clamchip and Steve Allison like this

#39 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 03 April 2021 - 07:43 AM

https://www.cloudyni...8-f7-and-mount/

restored Cave 8" F7  $1100.  This should bring some comments from the gallery graduate.sml.gif

• tim53, blakestree, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#40 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:48 AM

I had in mind Takahashi, Vixen (Japan), TeleVue, AstroPhysics, Brandon, TMB, TEC, etc., something older, verging on classic. Certainly not a new Chinoisé telescope!

Edited by Terra Nova, 03 April 2021 - 08:49 AM.

• AstroKerr likes this

#41 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:08 AM

The first time I looked through a 75mm Unitron I was a amazed.  I kept asking myself " now why do I want to buy and APO again?" 

My 75mm Unitron F15 I purchased from you J gave a perfect star test, beautiful Airy disk replete with beautiful, delicate, concentric, defraction rings. The images of Jupiter and Saturn were lovely, edges sharp, crisp, well contrasted, black surrounding sky. Color (false) was limited. And images held right up to 150 to 180X. It was the perfect achromat, and the best Unitron of the six that I have owned. Then I bought Dave Trott’s FC-76 F8 and it was game over. I’ll never forget the night I had it up to 300X on Jupiter! Admittedly, seeing was perfect that night. It had to be at that magnification. The image held at 100X per inch! And the images were consistently brighter than the Unitron, the colors noticeably more saturated with subtle changes in hue easily discernible, the edges ever so slightly sharper, and contrast even better! Saturn in its more subtle beauty was more alive! For any experienced observer, the difference in the views from the two instruments was readily detectable. After that, my impression was the opposite of yours- why do I want to buy an achromat again. A few months later, I got the FC-60 F8.3 and that’s when I really narrowed the field in my 60mm holdings, including the Swift and the Zeiss.

Please don’t get me wrong! I will always love well-made, long, classic achromatic refractors. I’m just in a different place now (spiritually, not physically). I’ve taken a more minimalist approach in my life, and reduced excess and clutter, and with regard to our wonderful hobby, I have re-prioritized things and have decided to spend time observing rather than money collecting. So I have vastly pruned my herd of telescopes, traded up in doing that, and very much simplified my life in that regard. I’ve also been cutting down on mounts, eyepieces, and other accessories. It feels good to me, and I’m not saying that’s the direction everyone should go, just me. So with fewer telescopes, I really want those that I perceive, give me the best views, and also that are the easiest to use, move around, and store. That’s why I’ve gone the apo and classic semi-apo route, but I will say, all my scopes are still classics or near-classics, they’re all made either in Japan or here, and they almost all refractors. My love of refractors will never change!

Edited by Terra Nova, 03 April 2021 - 09:24 AM.

• wfj, SandyHouTex, Marc-Andre and 7 others like this

#42 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:42 AM

My 75mm Unitron F15 I purchased from you J gave a perfect star test, beautiful Airy disk replete with beautiful, delicate, concentric, defraction rings. The images of Jupiter and Saturn were lovely, edges sharp, crisp, well contrasted, black surrounding sky. Color (false) was limited. And images held right up to 150 to 180X. It was the perfect achromat, and the best Unitron of the six that I have owned. Then I bought Dave Trott’s FC-76 F8 and it was game over. I’ll never forget the night I had it up to 300X on Jupiter! Admittedly, seeing was perfect that night. It had to be at that magnification. The image held at 100X per inch! And the images were consistently brighter than the Unitron, the colors noticeably more saturated with subtle changes in hue easily discernible, the edges ever so slightly sharper, and contrast even better! Saturn in its more subtle beauty was more alive! For any experienced observer, the difference in the views from the two instruments was readily detectable. After that, my impression was the opposite of yours- why do I want to buy an achromat again. A few months later, I got the FC-60 F8.3 and that’s when I really narrowed the field in my 60mm holdings, including the Swift and the Zeiss.

Please don’t get me wrong! I will always love well-made, long, classic achromatic refractors. I’m just in a different place now (spiritually, not physically). I’ve taken a more minimalist approach in my life, and reduced excess and clutter, and with regard to our wonderful hobby, I have re-prioritized things and have decided to spend time observing rather than money collecting. So I have vastly pruned my herd of telescopes, traded up in doing that, and very much simplified my life in that regard. I’ve also been cutting down on mounts, eyepieces, and other accessories. It feels good to me, and I’m not saying that’s the direction everyone should go, just me. So with fewer telescopes, I really want those that I perceive, give me the best views, and also that are the easiest to use, move around, and store. That’s why I’ve gone the apo and classic semi-apo route, but I will say, all my scopes are still classics or near-classics, they’re all made either in Japan or here, and they almost all refractors. My love of refractors will never change!

I agree the FC 76 is a wonderful scope and easily ooutperformed any 75mm Unitron.  I was just saying for the cost the Unitron did really well.    A $400 Unitron OTA versus a $1200 Tak OTA  is an interesting comparison.   A shame Unitron never really got off the ground with their APO line up.  Would have been very interesting.

Edited by starman876, 03 April 2021 - 11:09 AM.

• blakestree, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#43 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:00 AM

Sears 6339a in Michigan:

https://www.facebook...story_type=post

That looks like mine . . .

• mdowns, Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#44 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:52 AM

Sears 6339a in Michigan:

:wow: Someone stole your identity!?

• Garyth64 likes this

#45 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

https://www.cloudyni...8-f7-and-mount/

restored Cave 8" F7  $1100.  This should bring some comments from the gallery graduate.sml.gif

Only a couple from me.  The 8" lightweight deluxe is a sleeper - it should be too much scope for the 1" shaft mount, but the one I had was a joy to use.  Many of the upgrades don't bother me, though I wouldn't necessarily want a 50' power cord.  Price?  Hm.  I think they've been going up since ads for Caves on sites like Craigslist are getting fewer and farther between.

• Defenderslideguitar and AstroKerr like this

#46 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:58 AM

Unitron 40mm Monochro/Monochrome/Monochromatic eyepieces, a word to the wise:

https://www.cloudyni...-shipped-minty/

Tho these are frequently thought to be 1.25” eyepieces, the older ones that I have come across including both the italic and block lettered, engraved and white painted lettered types, including the one that I currently have (block, engraved, mid 1950s) are closer to 1.27” than 1.25” and will not fit in most 1.25” diagonals. You need a Unihex to use them or a Unitron adapter/drawtube especially designed for them. Or you can make a special adapter which is easily machined by simply opening up a 2”/1.25” reducer on a lathe (shaving 0.01” all around off the inside and use them with a 2” diagonal.

Edited by Terra Nova, 03 April 2021 - 11:00 AM.

• starman876, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#47 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 03 April 2021 - 11:11 AM

Unitron 40mm Monochro/Monochrome/Monochromatic eyepieces, a word to the wise:

https://www.cloudyni...-shipped-minty/

Tho these are frequently thought to be 1.25” eyepieces, the older ones that I have come across including both the italic and block lettered, engraved and white painted lettered types, including the one that I currently have (block, engraved, mid 1950s) are closer to 1.27” than 1.25” and will not fit in most 1.25” diagonals. You need a Unihex to use them or a Unitron adapter/drawtube especially designed for them. Or you can make a special adapter which is easily machined by simply opening up a 2”/1.25” reducer on a lathe (shaving 0.01” all around off the inside and use them with a 2” diagonal.

you are so correct.  Unitron pulled a trick on us with this one. 

• Terra Nova and AstroKerr like this

#48 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 03 April 2021 - 11:30 AM

ohmy.png Someone stole your identity!?

No, it is mine.  smile.gif

I'm starting a spring sale.  Some Sears', some Tascos, my first 831, the dob

I rather not ship anything.

Edited by Garyth64, 03 April 2021 - 12:56 PM.

• Pete W, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#49 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Messenger

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:33 PM

Sears 6339a in Michigan:

If that were in WA I would be sorely tempted.

#50 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors

Posted 03 April 2021 - 01:42 PM

https://www.ebay.com...=p2047675.l2565

unitron 142 mount sold for $760.  sure hope they have the slow motion and other rods and the counterweight shaft.  Talk about getting the shaft lol.gif

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics