•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astronomik Deep sky RGB versus LRGB filters

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:43 AM

I see two version of RGB filters from Astronomik: one is called Deep sky RGB filters and they recommend getting a L1/2/3 filter in addition to it. The other is LRGB filter that is cheaper than the Deep sky RGB. I can't seem to understand the difference. Which one is better? 

Also I'm looking into getting Astronomik 6nm NB filters for fast apertures over the Baader ones that are also MaxFR (but bandwidth not known, guess is 12nm). I have heard Astronomik is better than Baader. Is that so? Chroma is way way expensive. 

Thoughts? 

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:48 AM

I'm an Astronomik fan, the balance of cost and quality suits me and my budget.  <smile>.

I have the Deep Sky RGB because they're significantly newer, and Astronomik seems to improve things over time.  I didn't bother with the associated L, just a use a simple UV-IR cut or a Baader neodymium, both of which I already had.

• imtl and Jose_Salcedo like this

#3 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:51 AM

Thanks for the info. I was also simply planning on using Ha as my luminance layer. 

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 01 April 2021 - 12:56 AM

Thanks for the info. I was also simply planning on using Ha as my luminance layer. 

That'll work on emission nebulae, although the processing is challenging.  Maybe on clusters, though I use straight RGB on those.

It will you cost you _way_ too much signal on galaxies and diffuse nebulae.

• imtl likes this

#5 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 April 2021 - 01:05 AM

Oh yeah. Galaxies I'm seriously considering doing OSC shots instead of mono LRGB. 

#6 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:01 PM

Isn't the UV/IR cut filters the roughly the same as the L-1/2/3 filters? They are pretty much over the RGB spectrum. 

#7 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:07 PM

Oh yeah. Galaxies I'm seriously considering doing OSC shots instead of mono LRGB. 

Why? LRGB Galaxies are faster and (IMO) better than OSC. 

As for the original question: The Deep Sky RGB filters (which I have) are phenomenal. I don't have the Astronomik regular LRGB to compare, but they were *miles* better than the ZWO, and--seriously--I can't imagine they could be better. 

I shoot galaxies with an L-3 (Astronomik) for Lum, and the Deep Sky RGB. Ideal is 1 hour each R, G, B and 4+ hours L. 

• dswtan, moonrider and KarthikNagaraj like this

#8 moonrider

moonrider

Viking 1

• Loc: Murphy, NC

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:45 PM

Why? LRGB Galaxies are faster and (IMO) better than OSC. 

As for the original question: The Deep Sky RGB filters (which I have) are phenomenal. I don't have the Astronomik regular LRGB to compare, but they were *miles* better than the ZWO, and--seriously--I can't imagine they could be better. 

I shoot galaxies with an L-3 (Astronomik) for Lum, and the Deep Sky RGB. Ideal is 1 hour each R, G, B and 4+ hours L. 

Yep, this is also what works for me. The Deep-Sky filters are very good, better than most others except Chroma but then I am not near good enough/want to invest that much$ in those,,,,,yet. 

#9 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:34 AM

So with the ZWO ASI2600MM/MC L-3 might be a good fit? I was thinking of the CLS-CCD one from Astronomik for use with the OSC but from Stelios's suggestion it looks like the L-3 might be a good bet. Also to note that I will be using the ZWOs on both Canon lens system and CPC 1100 scopes. 

All said and done, I'm impressed with Astronomik too. Love their filters. 

#10 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:35 AM

Stelios, what are your subs for RGB and L?

#11 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:27 AM

Stelios, what are your subs for RGB and L?

Are you talking exposure times? I use double the L exposure for RGB (so if L = 60, then R= 120, etc.) How long depends on F/ratio, I shoot at ratios from F/4.8 to F/7. At the shorter ratios L is 30 or 60, at the longer 60, 90 or 120. The choice of duration will also vary with the faintness of the object.

But regardless of what actual exposures I shoot, total integration time remains as stated in my previous post. 1 hour each R, G, B and 3-4 hours L. 

• mgutierrez and KarthikNagaraj like this

#12 KarthikNagaraj

KarthikNagaraj

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Stelios. This helps. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics