•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Integrated AZGTi & ASIAIR Pro

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Battle Creek, MI - USA

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:53 PM

Inspired by CardboadBoxProcessor, I thought an integrated AZGTi and ASIAIR Pro DIY would be fun to tackle.

3D printed enclosure contains ASIAIR Pro internally powered and connected to mount via FTDI circuit.  An added benefit is the ASIAIR WiFi signal isn’t hindered by its native aluminum case.

406A4958 916C 4555 AD85 53F370452199
Integrated AZGTi & ASIAIR Pro Design
Integrated AZGTi & ASIAIR Pro Prototype
Integrated AZGTi & ASIAIR Pro Prototype

• eros312, DevilJack, Cometeer and 5 others like this

#2 maxsid

maxsid

Viking 1

• Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:25 PM

Very cool, David.

I wish I could print...

• tkottary likes this

#3 Berny

Berny

Messenger

Posted 01 April 2021 - 05:52 PM

Well done.  How much time did you spend on that project?

#4 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:02 PM

Well done.  How much time did you spend on that project?

I'd say 10 - 12 hours tinkering with the electronics, tracing the signals/connections and soldering in the quick-disconnects to AZGTi, ASIAR, and FTDI circuit.  Then maybe another 10-12 hours measuring and designing the case... which is still not my final version...  this prototype is completely functional, however, I want to "spiffy" it up, and finally print it in black... or if I can find a PLA filament that matches the ZWO Red waytogo.gif

• lpalbou likes this

#5 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:21 PM

Do you have plans to release the 3d stl to the public once you are happy with the design (pretty please)?

#6 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:42 PM

Yes, I’ll put it out on Thingiverse waytogo.gif   And write up some kind of pseudo-instructions on the electronics part of it.  No promises on a release date, but I’ll definitely share it when it reaches ‘shareable’ respectability lol.gif

• tkottary likes this

#7 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 01 April 2021 - 08:57 PM

bow.gif  Thank you David!

#8 Shopaholic

Shopaholic

Mariner 2

• Loc: East Bay, California

Posted 01 April 2021 - 09:51 PM

Fantastic! And while you are at it, may be incorporate iPolar camera in the front for PA

#9 Brainebula

Brainebula

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:32 PM

Excellent work! Please post a pix with it in action. I'd love to see a rig fitted with this.

#10 omomomo

omomomo

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 01 April 2021 - 10:53 PM

Isn’t there some thermal paste/pads for the 12V distribution board?

#11 illenitram

illenitram

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 April 2021 - 11:07 PM

David, I have been loving all the AZGTI content you post. It has been super helpful. Thank you.

I actually have a bit of a noob AZGTi question. My mount came with the latest firmware. Typically, every time I connected with the SynScan Pro app it would ask if I wanted to use AltAz or EQ.

In some sort cruel proof of Murphy’s law, I finally got around to putting the thing on the wedge and now it no longer gives me a choice of which mode to use. Instead, once I hit connect and select the device’s IP it jumps right to the main UI in Alt-Az mode. All my hunting and pecking around the iOS UI did not seem to help. I also tried deleting the app off iPad and reinstalling, that didn’t help either.

Before I try and reinstall the firmware on the mount, I was wondering if there is something more obvious I might be missing.

Thanks,
Rich

#12 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2021 - 07:58 AM

CardboardBoxProcessor’s Mod incorporated an iPolar, very cool, which is what inspired me, however, I won’t be adding one since ASIAIR achieves Polar Alignment via the main camera.

Thermal paste pads: yep there is, which normally use the original case itself as a heat sink, i simply have a smaller heat sink (plate) instead of wrapping the whole thing in aluminum

AZ/EQ Mode on SynScan startup, this always appeared as the result of the mount Firmware, so I’d probably check/re-flash that, making sure you use the Right side/EQ version

• tkottary and illenitram like this

#13 DevilJack

DevilJack

Sputnik

• Loc: Chicago suburbs & SW Michigan

Posted 03 April 2021 - 11:04 AM

Great job! Can't wait to see more of your projects on Thingiverse.

#14 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:46 PM

Final version is uploaded to Thingiverse for your tinkering DIY pleasure.

Power for the mount is supplied internally via the ASIAIR Pro (quick-disconnect)

Data is wired from ASIAIR USB2 though FTDI circuit to the AZGTi connector

The AIR-GTi is fully operational.  I plan to use it with my C5 for which I also created a mount for the ZWO EAF

AIR-GTi

AIR-GTi

AIR-GTi

AIR-GTi

AIR-GTi

AIR-GTi

Edited by davidparks, 15 April 2021 - 08:56 PM.

• eros312, LauraMS, Cometeer and 1 other like this

#15 Taylor

Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:23 PM

Wow, this is amazing!

Might need to print this and apply it to my ASIair.

Could you give more specifics to the wiring of the unit? Also, with the ASIair in place, can the AZ GTi still be used in its standard visual use with the Synscan app? Or is it fully for astrophotography at that point? 

• lpalbou likes this

#16 davidparks

davidparks

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 April 2021 - 03:36 PM

2nd question first:  you can still use the GTi wireless and SynScan, yes.  However you can not longer connect to the GTi via a EQMOD cable from a computer USB port.   Visual with SynScan on phone, or Skysafari from tablet work just fine (although the AIR would still be powered on and the AIR Wife signal present.

1st question second:  There is a small board that is removed from the GTI that includes the Hand Controller port, SNAP port, Power Button and Power LED.  This board is connected to the GTi via a ribbon cable connector.  Simply trace the power and HC connections to know how to map the AIR to it.  You can get power from any of the 12v DC ports of the AIR to connect to the power on the GTi.  You can connect to the back side of one of the AIR USB Ports through the FTDI circuit used in EQMOD cables before joining it to the ribbon connector on the GTi.  Just do some careful tracing with multimeter or continuity check to know which line goes where.

• LauraMS and lpalbou like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics