•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iPad / Phone Sky Safari full red mode tip

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saint Augustine, FL

Posted 02 April 2021 - 12:42 PM

EDIT:

This may not work with older versions of IOS. I am using ios 14 on an ipad mini 5th generation.

ORIGINAL POST:

Hadn't seen this mentioned before so thought I would share it since most of those using sky safari are pushing dobs.

As you probably realized night mode in sky safari (red screen) will leave you blinded if you accidentally exit sky safari, or access pull down menus, etc.

You can put your ipad or iphone into red mode easily and then no longer use night mode in sky safari with a few simple settings.

You simply press the home button 3 times and you are in red screen mode for all apps.

To enable this:

Settings->Accessibility->Display and Text Size->Color filters (enable)

Choose "tint" and move intensity just a hair from all the way to the right

Chose "hue" and move it all the way to the left

Now, disable the filters option

Settings->Accessibility->Accessibility Shortcuts (enable Filter Shortcut)

Now press the home button 3 times fast.

Surprise!

I recommend setting sky safari to monochrome mode for best contrast.  Pull down menu and lock screen rotation on your device.  Now just rotate it 180 degrees to see newtonian fov (or use sky safari option if you prefer)

Edited by Tom Stock, 02 April 2021 - 03:08 PM.

• Bill Jensen, Doug Culbertson, turtle86 and 8 others like this

#2 PMac1

PMac1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: London

Posted 02 April 2021 - 12:55 PM

Nice one - thank you!

#3 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:06 PM

Well does that depend tho on what version you have!? As I’ve gone into settings (Appearance and behaviour)

#4 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:18 PM

Settings->Accessibility->Accessibility Shortcuts (enable Filter Shortcut)

Now press the home button 3 times fast.

Surprise!

In addition, when you swipe up (or whatever direction for your version) to get the short cuts for selecting airport mode, volume, etc., you should also see the button for "Accessibility Shortcuts".  Select that, and you can select "color filters".

You can also following the paths that Tom Stock outlined find under Display "Reduce White Point", which dims the screen greatly when selected and will come up as a shortcut just like color filters.

Edited by eyeoftexas, 02 April 2021 - 01:18 PM.

#5 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:31 PM

thanks for the handy tip!!

Dave

#6 skysurfer

skysurfer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: EU, N 52 E 6

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:39 PM

I know this option in iOS. Android does not have this unfortunately, unless you are rooted like me. I use the CF Lumen app which makes the screen red, very useful when I am observing or control my camera using astrophotography.

#7 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:44 PM

Lol I think I will stick with what I’ve got,I have android tho it’s just finding the sweet spot in image brightness so it does not effect your night vision so much and not to dim you can hardly see it.

#8 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 April 2021 - 02:37 PM

Interesting tip, but can't find it in my (old) ipad. . . will report back if I figure it out.

#9 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 April 2021 - 02:43 PM

Interesting tip, but can't find it in my (old) ipad. . . will report back if I figure it out.

Well there is more than one skysafari I have the plus version mainly because it was pointless going for the pro as you can never see all the objects anyway

#10 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:00 PM

Well there is more than one skysafari I have the plus version mainly because it was pointless going for the pro as you can never see all the objects anyway

I also have the plus version, but I think what areyoukiddingme is talking about is IOS.  The older versions of IOS do no have the filter option.

I am using an iPad mini that I purchased a couple of years ago.

• areyoukiddingme likes this

#11 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:07 PM

Older versions of IOS probably wont have this option. I am using ios 14 on a 5th gen ipad mini.

#12 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 02 April 2021 - 03:25 PM

I also have the plus version, but I think what areyoukiddingme is talking about is IOS.  The older versions of IOS do no have the filter option.

I am using an iPad mini that I purchased a couple of years ago.

Lol my mistake IOS it is iPad mini 4

#13 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Apollo

Posted 02 April 2021 - 06:13 PM

This is in the settings in the operating system for the phone, not in SkySafari.  It is an option to control the accessibility of seeing the screen.  It has been in many generations of iOS, and I am running it on my iPhone 6 and iPad from 2013.  The exact names differ from version to version, but it comes down to Display Accessibility, whatever they call it in a given version iOS.  I use SS6 Plus and Orion StarSeek (=SS5) on my phone and iPad.

#14 Supernova74

Supernova74

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 03 April 2021 - 02:14 AM

This is in the settings in the operating system for the phone, not in SkySafari.  It is an option to control the accessibility of seeing the screen.  It has been in many generations of iOS, and I am running it on my iPhone 6 and iPad from 2013.  The exact names differ from version to version, but it comes down to Display Accessibility, whatever they call it in a given version iOS.  I use SS6 Plus and Orion StarSeek (=SS5) on my phone and iPad.

Ok I got ur I think I will leave things as thay are to be honest,if it was revolutionary by all means worthwhile 

#15 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:36 AM

This will be very handy once my last piece of Xtra Dark Red Cling has too many scratches to use. (The owner of Sirius Astro Products retired, and I don't know the source for that film.)

In fact anything that reduces the number of items to prepare for the night is worthwhile, so I will use this on my next observing session.

I knew about the filter setting, but not the activation shortcut. Thanks!

• eyeoftexas likes this

#16 Mainuh

Mainuh

Sputnik

• Loc: Tucson AZ

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:44 PM

Great shortcut Tom!  Thanks for sharing. Works great on my iPhone and my iPad mini 4. Both are IOS 14.x

#17 Spikey131

Spikey131

Vanguard

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:12 PM

Also, if you go to Settings>Control Center>Accessibility Shortcuts, you can add color filters to the shortcuts.

#18 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 04 April 2021 - 03:56 PM

Tried this last night while flying. Excellent, the shortcut really makes it sing. Set up my iPhone the same way.

• eyeoftexas likes this

#19 Virtus

Virtus

Ranger 4

• Loc: SE NC

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:20 AM

Awesome trick! It works on my iPad mini 2 running 12.5.1 but the menus were slightly different than OPs directions.

• areyoukiddingme likes this

#20 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:23 PM

My phone worked for the instructions above. I had to do some digging to get IOS 12.5.2 to work.

1. To set up the filter: 

Settings --> general --> accessibility --> display accommodations --> color filters --> color tint:

Then a. intensity nearly all the way right, and b. hue, all the way to the left.

2. To set up the home button short-cut:

Settings --> general --> accessibility shortcut (at the bottom of the list) --> select color filters.

Now triple click of home button should toggle the filter.

Edited by areyoukiddingme, 05 April 2021 - 02:24 PM.

• Tom Stock and eyeoftexas like this

#21 Brainebula

Brainebula

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:47 AM

Not sure if you were the original poster of this tip (I found it a month ago in another discussion), but it's useful even when using SynScan Pro app's night view screen since the SSP app still leaves the top status block white and obviously can't turn any other app red that you might need to visit. But the 'color filter' tip turns EVERYTHING red. It's a great feature of the phone so that no matter what app you visit, it's always red. 

#22 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:00 PM

My problem is I find red somewhat uncomfortable and it is difficult to pick out 2 color contrasting stars when everything is red.

#23 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:37 AM

The IPad mini 5th generation does not have an AMOLED screen..

Non AMOLED screens leak light, white light.

A red film blocks everything but red, protecting your night vision as well as significantly increasing the contrast, allowing for even lower light levels.

There apple device with AMOLED screens but not many.

Jon

#24 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:24 AM

Moving to Astronomy Software and Computers

#25 luxo II

luxo II

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:15 PM

This has been known for some years in iOS, pretty sure I posted it back then.... and I’ve pointed it out before in the threads about red films.

There’s also a similar setting buried deep in MacOS. There’s a free app that implements it to make it easy.

Edited by luxo II, 08 April 2021 - 06:17 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics