•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bushnell Sky Chief I 78-5500

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:15 AM

Practically pristine although no box GW online bargain. Appears little used ,all parts there. Two small scratches on wood tripod legs. Objective spotless.SR5,H10,H15,2x Barlow.Metal focuser knobs. Made in Japan but haven't found a maker mark.This GW store did excellent packing. No Institute sticker but  Bushnell Certified Quality one instead.

• Terra Nova and Tenacious like this

#2 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:24 PM

Tell us how it goes under the stars.

I have a Sky Chief II, Circle T - OTA only.  Converted to 1.25" VB.  Descent optics, IIRC.

#3 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:33 PM

I meant to put this in "..finds...' originally. Perhaps first light tonight .Was too tired last night.The objective is spotless and the terrestrial view if fine.Big scopes give big views yet a smooth operating 60mm can be quite satisfying.

My current work schedule is less conducive to late night viewing since the alarm goes off at 5a.m.But better pay means more imported glass!

I miss my faithful Talkey (a most vocal cat) who always came to "help" and keep company.

Afraid observing is taking a back seat to collecting.

#4 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:41 PM

Although this is one of the smoother az-el mounts of it's class the overall vibrations  make focusing  tedious .The focuser operated smoothly .The merest touch causes the image shaking.Note that the tripod legs were fully extended for my seating comfort.

Using the H15 eyepiece is fairly easy and the Orion Nebula quite nice but Trapezium not separated. The H10 not too bad and now we're at 70x . Finally the SR5 at 140x and patience and perseverance is needed. Tonight I could reliably see only three Trapezium stars with the fourth popping in and out of view.

Possibly the OTA would do much better on a motorized mount and motorized focuser. 

A slight purple cast to the brightest stars was noticed.

Edited by BigC, 03 April 2021 - 09:44 PM.

• Tenacious and Van Do9:3 like this

#5 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:42 AM

It is the silver and blue model? I always liked those!

• steve t likes this

#6 BigC

BigC

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 April 2021 - 02:00 PM

White tube  with Bushnell and hash marks in black

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics