•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

FUN with a 1985 Crabby Tak Sky Patrol EQ Mount

Classic EQ Equipment Mount Tripod
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:09 PM

I decided to start a thread on this dinky Tak EQ so that posts & findings don't get scattered all over this Forum; and, because I'm gonna break it down into its even smaller components...

First:  What's with the name?  (A lot, apparently!)

Everybody calls this mount Sky Patrol -- EXCEPT Takahashi (but what do They know?).  On the TAK site Time Line, scroll down to the year 1981 (year introduced), and the linked JPG is CANCER:  https://www.takahash...-img/CANCER.JPG

Takahashi JP - Sky CANCER EQ (1981).jpg

Two platforms top the DEC axis.  One fixed with a long rubber grip-pad, the other on an arm the swings up/down, and each has a standard 1/4-20 (camera-sized) captured threaded knob.

(I like to do Side-By-Sides with my sub-60mm refractors, so this 2 platforms feature is perfect.)

Second:  Crab-like Appendages (Hence the Name)

Here's one of many ways to use this mount:

Takahashi JP - FC-50 on Sky CANCER EQ (1981).jpg

Here's the way I'm using it right now with just my 1984 FC-50:

Tak SC EQ Restore S26 - Filo Tripod Assembled (BEFORE).jpg

Which explains why the scope & mount knobs can get very close to each other!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 03 April 2021 - 01:12 PM.

• RichA, mdowns, blakestree and 6 others like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Aurora

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:27 PM

I Like It !!

• Bomber Bob likes this

#3 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:31 PM

Breaking Down the HD-4 Drive System

One of the Tak battery pack kits:

Takahashi JP - HD-4 for Sky CANCER EQ (1982).jpg

What I got in the buy:

Tak SP EQ Delivered S02 - Complete Shipment.jpg

Battery Pack?  Nope.  Two A/C adapters... that fit nothing on the mount...

But note that the Tak Pack power in cord has a Male Plug...  On my Tak EM-1S, the power in port on the panel was Female...  I built a battery pack for the EM-1S, and had enough spare parts to make one for the SC, BUT the power out cord has a Male plug.

IF I want to make a copy of the original Tak Pack, I need to fit it with a Female port, and an ON / OFF Switch...

• Terra Nova likes this

#4 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:36 PM

I REALLY Miss Radio Shack!

Decades ago, we had a Radio Shack less than a mile from the house...  Wouldn't take me an hour to build a new 6V battery pack -- IF I had the right parts!

Anywho, let's see the original Tak parts that I do have:

Tak SC EQ - HD4 Drive S02 (ALL Parts).jpg

Tak SC EQ - HD4 Drive S03 (Circuit Board BOTTOM).jpg Tak SC EQ - HD4 Drive S04 (Circuit Board TOP).jpg

HD-4 Single-Axis Drive

- HD4 Circuit Board
- P43G Stepper Motor:  12V / 70 Coil D / Steps 24 / G Ratio 1:500
- System Power:  6V
- 2-button (red / black) Hand-held Controller

After I saw the circuit board, I briefly toyed with... un-soldering the original power line, and soldering the leads from my battery pack onto the board.  Then, I considered the reactions of -- and fainting couches required for -- the many Tak Fans on CN...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 03 April 2021 - 12:40 PM.

• Terra Nova and GreyDay like this

#5 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:47 PM

I Like It !!

Me, too!  I'm aggravated with the HD-4 right now, as Takahashi did their usual NON-STANDARD stuff (check posts on Tak wiring!), but the mount itself is pure precision.  And -- IF you use it as intended -- the controls & such are well-placed.  And, no matter what, Tak put a lot of Big Mount features into it, too.

• mikerepp likes this

#6 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 April 2021 - 12:48 PM

WAY cute! wink.gif

• Bomber Bob and mikerepp like this

#7 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:27 AM

Breaking Down the HD-4 Drive System

But note that the Tak Pack power in cord has a Male Plug...  On my Tak EM-1S, the power in port on the panel was Female...  I built a battery pack for the EM-1S, and had enough spare parts to make one for the SC, BUT the power out cord has a Male plug.

IF I want to make a copy of the original Tak Pack, I need to fit it with a Female port, and an ON / OFF Switch...

Although I'm almost certain you're already aware, check the cautionary note here (https://www.cloudyni...e/#entry9241996 ) concerning polarity of the connections ... gender of the plugs not being the only thing potentially non-standard !

Have fun !

-- Jim

• blakestree and Bomber Bob like this

#8 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:45 AM

I decided to start a thread on this dinky Tak EQ so that posts & findings don't get scattered all over this Forum [...]

Heretofore, the most detailed CN thread I've run across on the Tak Sky Patrol was this one, in the Mounts section:

https://www.cloudyni...trol-version-i/

Just thought I'd post the link here in case it helps anyone who happens to find this new "Classic Telescopes" thread first.

Congrats again Bob on your auction find !

Clear Skies,

-- Jim

• Bomber Bob likes this

#9 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:21 PM

Thanks Jim!  The DC "pigtail" should be here by Monday - I already had everything else to build a battery pack - no Mods will be made to the Tak.

#10 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:24 AM

Back in the day the Sky Patrol  was a hot seller for Eclipse chasers..

#11 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:45 PM

I repaired the electronic for one of these for a club member about 2 years ago. The polarity is back wards on the power plug.   The hand controller was missing on the one I repaired and I had a heck of time trying to find a data sheet on the IC that drives the stepper. I never did but was able to find a schematic of  a circuit that used that IC and showed me enough to figure how to wire a new hand controller into the circuit. 

The black button stops the motor and the red one increases the speed by 2x.

- Dave 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#12 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:03 AM

I decided to start a thread on this dinky Tak EQ so that posts & findings don't get scattered all over this Forum; and, because I'm gonna break it down into its even smaller components...

Everybody calls this mount Sky Patrol -- EXCEPT Takahashi (but what do They know?).  On the TAK site Time Line, scroll down to the year 1981 (year introduced), and the linked JPG is CANCER:  https://www.takahash...-img/CANCER.JPG

attachicon.gifTakahashi JP - Sky CANCER EQ (1981).jpg

Two platforms top the DEC axis.  One fixed with a long rubber grip-pad, the other on an arm the swings up/down, and each has a standard 1/4-20 (camera-sized) captured threaded knob.

(I like to do Side-By-Sides with my sub-60mm refractors, so this 2 platforms feature is perfect.)

attachicon.gifTakahashi JP - FC-50 on Sky CANCER EQ (1981).jpg

attachicon.gifTak SC EQ Restore S26 - Filo Tripod Assembled (BEFORE).jpg

That is a great little mount.  waytogo.gif

• Bomber Bob likes this

#13 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:00 AM

attachicon.gifTakahashi JP - Sky CANCER EQ (1981).jpg

attachicon.gifTakahashi JP - FC-50 on Sky CANCER EQ (1981).jpg

attachicon.gifTak SC EQ Restore S26 - Filo Tripod Assembled (BEFORE).jpg

I wonder if the name was changed for marketing reasons given the negative subliminal message in the original name- ‘Cancer.’ 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#14 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:15 AM

I just swapped the Tak EQ for the Edmund EQ on the Filo tripod.  Then, I put the swing arm back on the Tak, and mounted the Jaegers 50 test OTA to it; and, the FC-50 on the fixed platform.  This setup makes sub-60 Side-By-Sides a cinch.  I'm loving all this versatility! 

• Terra Nova likes this

#15 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:55 PM

I'm curious what you think might be the payload-scope(s combined) weight limit for the Sky Patrol mount (both without -- and with -- the RA drive motor operational) ?   Thanks in advance for sharing any thoughts you have on this.

CN member mrlocksmith uploaded a Sky Patrol user manual to a Google Drive location that he posted in the forums here (https://www.cloudyni...n-i/?p=10567069 ), but access isn't public and I wasn't able to reach it.  (Google gave me the option to request access from the owner, which I did, but I have no way of telling whether mrlocksmith received any request from Google to grant me access ... may have gone straight to his spam folder : - ).

-- Jim

Edited by jkmccarthy, 13 April 2021 - 09:57 PM.

#16 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:46 PM

I'm confident that this EQ can carry an FC-76 with cradle + finder + 4-slot Turret.  I think scope length will be a limiting factor more than weight -- will test my F11 C80 on it by bolting a dovetail base on each 1/4-20 platform...

The two 50mm fracs put zero stress on the mount -- clutches on both axes engage with slight knob-turns (don't have to crank them down).  I had them perfectly balanced, such that they stayed on the target when swapping out eyepieces.

I'm also interested in seeing if the SC can deal with 2 counterweights.  Its versatility invites all kinds of experimenting...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 13 April 2021 - 10:46 PM.

• jkmccarthy likes this

#17 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:31 PM

(Actually I was looking for a max payload weight estimate in lbs. [or a max payload mass estimate in kg : - ], not in units of integer FC-76's + fractional accessories ... but thanks nevertheless ! - )

(( I too will be experimenting on my end, so here I was just looking to get some idea of when I might run into trouble : - ))

Have fun and keep us posted !

-- Jim

P.S.  I've already used mine with a Nikon DSLR and [heavy] telephoto lens combination that exceeds the weight of a C80 so I don't think you'll have any trouble there .... [Edit:  sorry -- when I wrote this initially I was thinking of the stubby little C90 MCT -- see below for an example from the classifieds -- not the C80 refractor you had in mind !   My bad.]

classifieds-12861-0-79629800-1579822933.

Edited by jkmccarthy, 13 April 2021 - 11:54 PM.

#18 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:48 AM

I'm confident that this EQ can carry an FC-76 with cradle + finder + 4-slot Turret.  I think scope length will be a limiting factor more than weight -- will test my F11 C80 on it by bolting a dovetail base on each 1/4-20 platform...

The two 50mm fracs put zero stress on the mount -- clutches on both axes engage with slight knob-turns (don't have to crank them down).  I had them perfectly balanced, such that they stayed on the target when swapping out eyepieces.

I'm also interested in seeing if the SC can deal with 2 counterweights.  Its versatility invites all kinds of experimenting...

Don’t underestimate the weight of the FC-76. My 1997 F8 FC-76 is quite heavy for its size- very robustly built right down to the iron manhole cover objective dust cap. The clamshell is heavy too. I never balanced it against the C80 but I’m pretty sure it’s heavier. I’ve had lighter 4” refractors.
Such a wonderful telescope! love.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• D5416E6F-CC65-4423-B84F-B2585C934507.jpeg

• blakestree, Bomber Bob and STE411 like this

#19 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 06:52 PM

Not sure if a Classic (1980s) FC-76 is significantly heavier than a new one, but looks like about 6.5# bare; so, add a cradle, 6x30 finder & bracket, and the C/V Turret, I figure about 12# max -- 4 lbs lighter than my TN5 RFT...

Actually I was looking for a max payload weight estimate in lbs.

Based on the counterweight & shaft length, 15# IF balanced.  But, a wide short heavy scope like my TN5, would be tough to balance on it -- even using the 2 platforms.  It was designed to carry a small Tak (like the FC-50) with 35mm camera attached on one side, and a guide scope on the other.  My C80 is about 11#, but it's over twice as long as the FC-50.

So, it will take some trial & error.  I didn't want the tripod to be a weak part, and the Filo is over-kill.

Look at that Edmund EQ that I bought from Terra:  The castings are small, yet it carries the TN5 very well -- so long as I keep it balanced.

#20 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:08 PM

Not sure if a Classic (1980s) FC-76 is significantly heavier than a new one, but looks like about 6.5# bare; so, add a cradle, 6x30 finder & bracket, and the C/V Turret, I figure about 12# max -- 4 lbs lighter than my TN5 RFT...

Actually I was looking for a max payload weight estimate in lbs.

Based on the counterweight & shaft length, 15# IF balanced.  But, a wide short heavy scope like my TN5, would be tough to balance on it -- even using the 2 platforms.  It was designed to carry a small Tak (like the FC-50) with 35mm camera attached on one side, and a guide scope on the other.  My C80 is about 11#, but it's over twice as long as the FC-50.

So, it will take some trial & error.  I didn't want the tripod to be a weak part, and the Filo is over-kill.

Look at that Edmund EQ that I bought from Terra:  The castings are small, yet it carries the TN5 very well -- so long as I keep it balanced.

Maybe they just seem heavy because they are so compact. Is that weight including the clamshell? BTW, the little Edmund mount you bought from me handled the FC76 very well. I used two counterweights on it, a two pound and a four ? pound. This was the Mercury transit in November 2019. My FC-76 is on the Edmund Mount with two counterweights, together weighing the same or maybe a bit more than the stock Edmund counterweight.

Attached Thumbnails

• C6BDDC4A-0952-44FD-82EB-B4FED7F77928.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 14 April 2021 - 07:20 PM.

• Bomber Bob and jkmccarthy like this

#21 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:16 PM

Maybe they just seem heavy because they are so compact.

Yes, that's one factor to consider besides OTA Weight -- its Distribution.  Not to worry:  I got lots of scopes to test on it... just gotta find the time!

• Terra Nova and jkmccarthy like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Classic, EQ, Equipment, Mount, Tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics