•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

new AT80EDL

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mrsjeff

mrsjeff

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:01 PM

Am I the only one who has noticed the new listing in Astronomics' refractors section? https://www.astronom...ublet-3515.html

Even though the URL says it's the AT102EDL, if you follow the link, it's a smaller but otherwise similar 80mm FCD-100/lanthanum doublet. So now there's one more option to cloud my decision of what ED refractor to get! lol.gif

But seriously, I appreciate the nice selection of Astro-Tech ED refractors currently available. There's something for practically everyone! 

• Jon Isaacs, eros312, BFaucett and 3 others like this

#2 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:35 PM

Hello Mrsjeff,

I own two Astrotechs a AT60ED and a AT102ED neither one has any bad habits. I dont know how Astronomics can sell their high quality scopes at the price points they do.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

• duck2k, dagadget, mrsjeff and 1 other like this

#3 sportsmed

sportsmed

Messenger

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:30 AM

I recently bought a AT80ED and I really love that scope, I dont think you can go wrong with Astro-Tech gear for the price. I haven't had a chance to look at Jupiter or Saturn with it yet but I have been very happy with the views so far.

• duck2k, dagadget, Jethro7 and 1 other like this

#4 2112_Mike

2112_Mike

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kuna Idaho

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:05 PM

Well I just ordered one.
I suspect it will be somewhat of a lead time.
Give me time to pay it off😁
  • eros312, dagadget, Jethro7 and 1 other like this

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 04 April 2021 - 05:27 PM

I hadn't noticed this new scope before in their lineup, so thanks for the tip.

• Jon Isaacs, 2112_Mike and mrsjeff like this

#6 awong101

awong101

Messenger

Posted 07 April 2021 - 02:34 AM

The pricing makes no sense.

The new 80EDL is a doublet and F/7

For $50 more, the 80EDT gives you the performance of a triplet and significantly faster at F/6...

#7 2112_Mike

2112_Mike

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:02 AM

And you also get a case...what ?

Yes you are right for $50 more it seems like you might want to opt for the triplet..

I wanted the new doublet to try out the new optics listed as FCD-100 and Lanthanum.  The sales pitch also claims .95 strehl ratio minimum guarantee.

I suspect FK61 or something similar used on the triplet. I have that already with the 130mm.

I don't need F/6, but I do like the handle.

I have not jumped in to astrophotography as of yet but I will be able to compare this scope visually side by side with the AT80ED that I already own.

Then I might have to say goodbye to one of them...

Of course all of this is probably way in the future based on ETA

• Jon Isaacs, eros312, sportsmed and 1 other like this

#8 KevH

KevH

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:33 AM

I sent an e-mail this morning asking when these would be available and now the page is gone.   I wonder if Astronomics has decided to not offer it? I was really thinking about buying one...

#9 TNmike

TNmike

Ranger 4

• Loc: Kingston, TN

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:44 AM

https://mailchi.mp/a...54?e=945aab43c9

#10 mrsjeff

mrsjeff

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:20 AM

I sent an e-mail this morning asking when these would be available and now the page is gone. I wonder if Astronomics has decided to not offer it? I was really thinking about buying one...

My phone is still showing them on their website. Maybe they took the page down temporarily?
  • KevH likes this

#11 KevH

KevH

Viking 1

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:43 AM

Hmm... you are right.  The mobile version does still show it.  The desktop version of the site isn't though.  I looked at it this morning on my laptop and it loaded fine.  After I sent the inquiry, it wouldn't load anymore.  The timing just made me wonder.  Guess we will see.

Kevin

#12 2112_Mike

2112_Mike

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:22 PM

Just checked the site using my laptop.  It shows them 'more on the way'...

I ordered one a couple weeks ago, didn't hear from Mike until a couple days back.  He said I should have one in a few weeks.  Not in a hurry.  

• KevH likes this

#13 KevH

KevH

Viking 1

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, I just checked and it's back up for me now.  Weird.  Sorry for the false alarm!

#14 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Soyuz

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:07 PM

For $50 more, the 80EDT gives you the performance of a triplet and significantly faster at F/6...

The EDL has better glass. It's FPL-53 or equivalent vs. FPL-51 or equivalent in the triplet.

Performance is probably similar, but I'd love to see a comparison done.
  • dagadget likes this

#15 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 April 2021 - 06:53 PM

The EDL has better glass. It's FPL-53 or equivalent vs. FPL-51 or equivalent in the triplet.

Performance is probably similar, but I'd love to see a comparison done.

Hello Mitrovarr,

The primary difference will be at high magnification and bright objects. I can see a little CA with either my AT102ED and the AT60ED. I have to be really looking for the CA to even notice it, just a Very slight hint of CA but it is there. The AT102EDL should exhibit none at all. There have been some really good discussions here on CN, about the glass being used for lenses and there is a lot more to the story than just the glass chosen for the lenses. I have owned much higher priced scopes with the better glass and they were some what of a nominal  disappointment. That disappointment being not much of a difference or none at all. I am not comparing my Astrotechs with the premium brands like TEC, Tak or AP scopes, with those premium scopes you will see a difference. My Astrotechs and my Altair 102ED F/11, with FPL-51 glass manufactured by Kunming United Optics whom Manufactures the Astrotech scopes, have all exceeded my expectations for inexpensive scopes and I have yet to be disapointed by any Astrotech products. I still have plans to purchase a Astrotech 152EDT at some point this year and I can trust that it will also exceed my expectations.

P.S. I pay more attention to real life reviews of a scope than the choice of glass used in the lenses. If I had, I never would have bought the Altair Starwave Ascent 102ED F/11. Having bought one, I now fully understand why this scope has garnered such a cult following even though it has the cheap FPL51 glass.

Edited by Jethro7, 15 April 2021 - 07:20 PM.

• dagadget likes this

#16 dagadget

dagadget

Apollo

• Loc: Avon Park, Florida

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:05 PM

Hello Mitrovarr,

The primary difference will be at high magnification and bright objects. I can see a little CA with either my AT102ED and the AT60ED. I have to be really looking for the CA to even notice it, just a Very slight hint of CA but it is there. The AT102EDL should exhibit none at all. There have been some really good discussions here on CN, about the glass being used for lenses and there is a lot more to the story than just the glass chosen for the lenses. I have owned much higher priced scopes with the better glass and they were some what of a nominal  disappointment. That disappointment being not much of a difference or none at all. I am not comparing my Astrotechs with the premium brands like TEC, Tak or AP scopes, with those premium scopes you will see a difference. My Astrotechs and my Altair 102ED F/11, (all with FPL-51 glass) manufactured by Kunming United Optics whom Manufactures the Astrotech scopes, have all exceeded my expectations for inexpensive scopes and I have yet to be disapointed by any Astrotech products. I still have plans to purchase a Astrotech 152EDT at some point this year and I can trust that it will also exceed my expectations.

Jethro I have a AT 152EDT and it is marvelous. if you even make it to central Florida you can try it out. I have an AT 72EDII coming tomorrow and it went right by you in the rain it is bringing with it. The 80EDL is a slightly bigger cousin to the AT 72EDII 

• BRCoz, sportsmed and Jethro7 like this

#17 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:12 PM

Jethro I have a AT 152EDT and it is marvelous. if you even make it to central Florida you can try it out. I have an AT 72EDII coming tomorrow and it went right by you in the rain it is bringing with it. The 80EDL is a slightly bigger cousin to the AT 72EDII 

Hello dagadget,

Thank you for the offer and your simple and straight forward evaluation of the AT152 EDT. I can trust that it is on point.  When you hunt down the reviews on the AT152EDT you can not find anybody that is not impressed with that scope.

• BRCoz and dagadget like this

#18 dagadget

dagadget

Apollo

• Loc: Avon Park, Florida

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:56 PM

Hello dagadget,

Thank you for the offer and your simple and straight forward evaluation of the AT152 EDT. I can trust that it is on point.  When you hunt down the reviews on the AT152EDT you can not find anybody that is not impressed with that scope.

It all started with my first AT 115 EDT  I sold that to a friend and bought the AT 130EDT sold that to someone here on Cloudy Nights when I got the AT 152EDT. I had to upgrade my mount at the same time to a CGEM II as the AVX would not handle the 152 very well. I wanted a wide field scope to go with my bigger scopes and I have an AT 72 coming tomorrow via FedEx.  I will keep looking up out of my Sky Shed pod whenever possible. The AT 80EDL is a nice looking scope and that one was on my list of possible buys along with the 72EDII

Edited by dagadget, 15 April 2021 - 07:57 PM.

• Jethro7 likes this

#19 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Caretakers
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 15 April 2021 - 08:29 PM

Not everyone wants a triplet and they want as high a quality glass as they can get. Couple that with a faster cool down time and it works a bit better as a visual scope in that respect. People have liked the EDL line, so it was a natural extension. It might work, it might flop. The public will decide and the doublet cost to us is quite pricey so the cost is in line.
  • BRCoz, eros312, sportsmed and 5 others like this

#20 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 April 2021 - 09:11 PM

It all started with my first AT 115 EDT  I sold that to a friend and bought the AT 130EDT sold that to someone here on Cloudy Nights when I got the AT 152EDT. I had to upgrade my mount at the same time to a CGEM II as the AVX would not handle the 152 very well. I wanted a wide field scope to go with my bigger scopes and I have an AT 72 coming tomorrow via FedEx.  I will keep looking up out of my Sky Shed pod whenever possible. The AT 80EDL is a nice looking scope and that one was on my list of possible buys along with the 72EDII

Hello dagadget,

For me, already owning a AT60ED and the AT102ED I feel that the AT152EDT would be the logical progression of these scopes. Maybe I could find a niche for a AT130 EDT in the line up also. I already own mounts that can easily handle the AT152EDT. I thought this mount thing through in the beginning of my venture into this hobby. A few years ago I was bitten by the refractor bug and have become a huge fan. Some one here on CN made a statement in their signature " I never met a well designed refractor that I did not like" laugh.gif

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

• BRCoz and dagadget like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics