•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light with a high spec PVS 14

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:32 PM

Yes, I concluded that it is much easier to make an inherently fast mirror go slow (when needed) than to make an inherently slow mirror go fast.

For someone just getting into NV astronomy, getting by with the scope already owned makes sense.

But eventually, they will "see the light".

Hello Jeff,

Thank you have always have  provided good sound advice along my path on my journey though Astro hobby and it is appreciated more than you know.

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

#27 a__l

a__l

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:28 PM

The next step is to increase the fast with various reducers and afocal using long-focus eyepieces.

If it is Newt it is possible to combine it with coma correctors.

Edited by a__l, 07 April 2021 - 11:30 PM.

• Jethro7 likes this

#28 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:34 AM

The next step is to increase the fast with various reducers and afocal using long-focus eyepieces.

If it is Newt it is possible to combine it with coma correctors.

Hello a__i,

I understand, thank you.

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING IP Jethro

#29 chemisted

chemisted

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:41 AM

It seems with NV nearly all things are possible. I have taken my OGS RC-10 from f/9.38 to an amazing f/2.0 through a combination of afocal and focal reducer.
  • Joko and Jethro7 like this

#30 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:30 PM

Jethro7,

Look at W Cancri with normal visual eyepiece, the NV (either IR filter or no filter) and let me know what you think. 

I don’t want to spoil it for you. 

Hello Ray,

I did tonight, Theta Cancri, is not visable at all with either naked eye nor with a standard eyepiece. I do believe I had it in the ocular of the PVS14, FWIW As a star, it did not stand out particularly.  As Edggie once stated " The skies are filthy with stars"

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Tonight's set up

20210412 194544

Edited by Jethro7, 12 April 2021 - 10:33 PM.

#31 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:41 PM

Jethro
It’s six magnitudes brighter with NV .(approximately)
  • Joko and Jethro7 like this

#32 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 01:22 PM

Jethro
It’s six magnitudes brighter with NV .(approximately)

Hello Ray,

The PVS 14 has caused a issue with my Celestial navigation. There are so many stars that I have never seen that it renders my usual navigation methods, that I have been really good at, sort of a form dead reckoning worthless.  I know when I see a certain  star formation the object I wish to view is just up to the left or what ever. This is a totally new ball game and I will have a blast learning  this a new. With the  overwhelming amount of stars, I think that I may need  to revisit the use of Digital Setting Circles.

Edited by Jethro7, 14 April 2021 - 04:32 AM.

• Joko likes this

#33 Joko

Joko

Vendor - OVNI

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: FRANCE, EUROPE

Posted 13 April 2021 - 01:36 PM

There are so many stars that I have never seen that it renders my usual navigation methods, that I have been really good at, sort of a form dead reckoning worthless.  I know when I see a certain  star formation the object I wish to view is just up to the left or what ever. This is a totally new ball game and I will have a blast learning  this a new. With the  overwhelming amount of stars, I think that I may need  to revisit the use of Digital Setting Circles.

This is a very positive issue ! laugh.gif

• Jethro7 likes this

#34 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:28 PM

This is a very positive issue ! laugh.gif

Hello Joko,

No complaining here my friend. It is a great problem to have. In order to keep it simple, I went to a totally manual set up with a Losmandy AZ8 and a Stellarvue M2C mounts. Now my situation has gotten quite a bit ( A LOT) more complicated and maybe I need a Push To system. The Astro Devices Nexus DSC system seems be popular and they are cheap by astronomy hobby gear.

HAPPY  SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

• Joko likes this

#35 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 PM

During galaxy season, your C8 is going to be good at things like Needle, Markarian, Sombrero...

During summer, no matter how much your jaw drops under light polluted skies, don't fail to drive out to dark skies.  Under Bortle 1 I was able to barlow up my C11 and gaze into the heart of the Crescent Nebula.

I'll bet that this summer, your AT60 or AT102 is going to get a LOT of use.  But keep in mind: as good as the H-alpha views are, don't fail to look at Sagittarius in NV unfiltered (under dark skies, if possible).  The wisps of dark nebula in the star fields are just sublime.

Hello Peter,

I've only been able to get out under the stars only three nights with the NVD due to crummy weather. It has been amazing to say the least. Tonight I guess the newness of the whole thing has been tempered just enough that I felt like taking the time to play around with different combinations. At least from my moderately light polluted back yard the best filters for me, are the 7nm Ha narrowband and the 542nm IR longpass filters. To night I decided to try a TV 2X powermate with the AT102ED F/7 with the odd surprise the views were nearly  the same as viewing through the C8 Edge HD. I spent the first part of the evening saying good bye to Orion, as it is slipping low on the Horizon now. I still cant believe my eyes that I can see the Horshead Nebula and M42 is always amazingly wicked through a NVD. The rest of the evening I went Galaxy and Starcluster hunting the AT 102ED and NVD did not disappoint.  So, oh yes the AT102ED and the AT60ED certainly will see alot of star time.  I would like to try the NVD with a 6" APO. One of these will be my next scope purchase.

Thank you Peter, you Edggie, Jeff Morgan and the great YouTube Videos by Cnoct, convinced me that in the great words of Dewey Cox, " I think I need one of those" For that I am grateful. Certainly all the help and advice from the CN regulars  that have chimed in with all the great advice and suggestions. 

HAPPY SKIES AND GOOD HUNTING Jethro

Tonight's set up, I wanted to take light.

20210420 215359
This a awkward and silly looking set up. "It works"
20210421 223528

Edited by Jethro7, Today, 01:35 PM.

• Jeff Morgan and AllStarez like this

#36 maxmir

maxmir

Viking 1

• ***--

Posted Today, 09:07 AM

You never posted your specs for your first device or current device that you paid 1500 more for.

#37 chemisted

chemisted

Viking 1

• -----

Posted Today, 10:27 AM

You never posted your specs for your first device or current device that you paid 1500 more for.

Yes he posted his specs for the current device but they were removed by a moderator.  

#38 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted Today, 11:06 AM

I would like to try the NVD with a 6" APO. One of these will be my next scope purchase.

If you want a 6” refractor JUST for NV observing, consider the Sky-Watcher 150mm F5 or Altai, Starwave 152mm F5.9 or other such fast achromats. When used with filters, they will deliver the goods. And you will of course save a ton of money. If you have other regular visual observing goals in mind then of course the apo would be the better choice.

Bob

#39 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted Today, 01:43 PM

Hello

I did post them. Let's just say that it was well worth the difference in cost. The performance between a basic Mil Spec tube and my new one is very noticable.

#40 Jethro7

Jethro7

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted Today, 02:58 PM

If you want a 6” refractor JUST for NV observing, consider the Sky-Watcher 150mm F5 or Altai, Starwave 152mm F5.9 or other such fast achromats. When used with filters, they will deliver the goods. And you will of course save a ton of money. If you have other regular visual observing goals in mind then of course the apo would be the better choice.

Bob

Hello Bob,

Those fast Achros are cheap. I have considered that option. 

#41 maxmir

maxmir

Viking 1

• ***--

Posted Today, 04:50 PM

Hello

I did post them. Let's just say that it was well worth the difference in cost. The performance between a basic Mil Spec tube and my new one is very noticable.

Sorry about that Jethro,

I understand that we are not supposed to publish the spec sheet due to federal law... ITAR. 

We can't say my tube is a EBI .3 and SN 35  etc ?

What are the rules here?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics