•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which refractor to buy to match 8" Newt

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:33 AM

Hi all,

I want to start planning for getting a scope in future that i can depend on and use just next to my 8" F5 Newtonian, and for now i was thinking for few options i can go with, so which one do you think i better consider to get in future?

1. Sharpstar 140PH + Paracorr [most expensive option here]
  2. Astro-Tech 130 or TS Optics 130 + Paracorr
  3. ES 127 ED [triplet cheaper model] + Paracorr
  4. WO Zenithstar 126 + Paracorr
  5. TS Optics 125 F/7.8 + Paracorr
  6. Astro-Tech 115EDT or TS Optics 115 triplet and no Paracorr
  7. Anything else as refractor [triplet or doublet] in 900-1000mm FL + Paracorr
  8. Or anything else as refractor [triplet or doublet] in 750-800mm and no Paracorr

Note that the Paracorr is for my 8" Newt, not for the refr as i know, just to match FOV which i use two different cameras.

#2 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:04 PM

Hi all,

I want to start planning for getting a scope in future that i can depend on and use just next to my 8" F5 Newtonian, and for now i was thinking for few options i can go with, so which one do you think i better consider to get in future?

1. Sharpstar 140PH + Paracorr [most expensive option here]
  2. Astro-Tech 130 or TS Optics 130 + Paracorr
  3. ES 127 ED [triplet cheaper model] + Paracorr
  4. WO Zenithstar 126 + Paracorr
  5. TS Optics 125 F/7.8 + Paracorr
  6. Astro-Tech 115EDT or TS Optics 115 triplet and no Paracorr
  7. Anything else as refractor [triplet or doublet] in 900-1000mm FL + Paracorr
  8. Or anything else as refractor [triplet or doublet] in 750-800mm and no Paracorr

If you mean compliment, rather than match your 8 inch Newtonian. then I think your on the right track.

All the brands you mention offer good value for the money.

#3 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:15 PM

If you mean compliment, rather than match your 8 inch Newtonian. then I think your on the right track.

All the brands you mention offer good value for the money.

I don't know what is the meaning of compliment, but my plan is building more and more of dual or multiple imaging system, now i am working on the wide field side first, i am just waiting my 90mm to arrive and this i will buy 0.65x and also APS-C camera, this will match another scope i will buy later which i am waiting a budget for it sooner or later, and to my good luck this 90mm triplet with F/6 is giving 540mm focal length, it will be same as my 6" F/4 Newtonian with 0.9x reducer if i buy that reducer, so it will be like i will match FOV at 270-300mm and i am already covering 540mm if i buy only a reducer, now left is my 8" Newt.

So, for my dual imaging system if i will use my 8" i have few choices, either native FL 1000mm then using APS-C camera, that will be nearly equiv to 800-900mm with my 4/3" cameras, or buying Paracorr to give me 1150mm, that will be about 950-1200, or using 0.9x reducer then it will like 700-800mm with 4/3" sensor, i will buy APS-C OSC camera and i want to use this with the Newt 8" for spikes, so left is my 4/3" cameras [QHY163, ASI1600mm, QHY294M] to use, and although i want to use another 8" Newt but i have no time trying to match the spikes with experiments, if there is an instruction for that then i will forget about all those refr and get another 8" F5 or even an RC with reducer, so i don't know if what i want is compliment or something else.

#4 Suavi

Suavi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 20.25 deg South of the Equator

Posted 04 April 2021 - 03:20 PM

To match resolving power of a well made 8" aperture (for DSO imaging in good seeing conditions and with precise and accurate guiding) one needs...another well made 8" aperture. A small aperture telescope, because of a higher degree of diffraction of light, gives by comparison bloated stars and washed out detailes on DSOs.

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:41 PM

To match resolving power of a well made 8" aperture (for DSO imaging in good seeing conditions and with precise and accurate guiding) one needs...another well made 8" aperture. A small aperture telescope, because of a higher degree of diffraction of light, gives by comparison bloated stars and washed out detailes on DSOs.

Why?

#6 Suavi

Suavi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 20.25 deg South of the Equator

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:48 PM

Why?

Because of diffraction limit.

#7 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:59 PM

Because of diffraction limit.

The diffraction is there, but it will never mean or say that it is impossible to match, in fact the better word i should use is, PAIR, or Combine, so "matching" is a strong non correct word maybe.

#8 PiotrM

PiotrM

Soyuz

• Loc: Poland

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:32 PM

Paracorr

IMHO if you want a refractor for imaging then pick one that comes with it own dedicated flattener. That gives the best match and known imaging circle and image quality. Using generic flatteners is tricky and may not always give the best result and/or be price ineffective. Also Paracorr is a coma corrector not a field flattener, it's not intended for refractors.

Also there are "quadruplet" refractors that have corrector built in.

And in the end if you have  a big scope then the best match would be a small scope - very short focal length to get widefield view while the big scope will give you narrow field of view. Large APO with similar focal length won't differentiate much for the Newtonian. A lot of DS objects is quite big so if they won't fit on an APS-C sensors on a Newtonian then you will need something with much shorter focal length. TS 70/350 Quadruplet could be a good option or even the Red Cat 51 with 250 mm of focal length (although not as well corrected).

Edited by PiotrM, 04 April 2021 - 07:35 PM.

#9 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:27 PM

1. IMHO if you want a refractor for imaging then pick one that comes with it own dedicated flattener. That gives the best match and known imaging circle and image quality. Using generic flatteners is tricky and may not always give the best result and/or be price ineffective. Also Paracorr is a coma corrector not a field flattener, it's not intended for refractors.

2. Also there are "quadruplet" refractors that have corrector built in.

3. And in the end if you have  a big scope then the best match would be a small scope - very short focal length to get widefield view while the big scope will give you narrow field of view. Large APO with similar focal length won't differentiate much for the Newtonian. A lot of DS objects is quite big so if they won't fit on an APS-C sensors on a Newtonian then you will need something with much shorter focal length. TS 70/350 Quadruplet could be a good option or even the Red Cat 51 with 250 mm of focal length (although not as well corrected).

1. I never talked about which flattener to buy because i certainly will go with flattener that is designed for the scope i mentioned in the options, that if they have flattener anyway, but that i can put in the test when i will receive my 90 APO soon, because i already have a flattener 1.0x and a reducer/flattener 0.8x, if those will work fine with my refr scope then most likely they can do the job with more refr scopes, but i can buy another if needed, but my plan is to buy APEX 0.65x reducer for it, many said that it worked for their refr that are different brands.

I mentioned already that i plan to get the Paracorr for my Newtonian, it is clear there, but this plan is not a must or top priority, i just need someone to tell me if i have to get it or i can leave without it, depends on the second pairing scope.

2/3. I am buying a second scope later when the budget is coming, and that is FRA400 i believe, i tried to search too much, but then i felt like this scope is a nice one, it is a quintuplet, and great thing is that they already made a reducer for it, so this is my next plan soon, but the topic of this thread is about a far future plan or later plan, i will finish the wide field side with two or three scopes, then i will be left with long or mid range 1000mm side, i want to use 2 scopes here and not planning to use three, so i already have 1000mm FL scope as one, need another one.

I am planning to build or have multiple imaging systems on different FOV or FLs, so i keep going in this until i am done, i have three mono cameras and i will add forth a color, this will force me or will push me to use more than one scope at once for same target, i can collect data more this way, i have filters sets, so better i use one scope forever and spending many long times i better get more scopes and saving nights, or say using those nights for double acquiring, at wide field it is easier because scopes are mostly lightweight, so my mount can handle 2-3 scopes fine, while for longer i think i will buy a mount later, but the budget of the best or great mount is bigger than scopes, mostly if i will think about high end mounts or near high end ones, while scopes the best will be near high end mount prices, but i didn't mention those anyway.

Bottom line is, i already bought one APO triplet scope, planning for second next to it soon, my 6" F4 Newt can match this triplet if i use 0.9x reducer, so i have already one FL covered by two scopes, later with FRA400 i am covering another one [280mm with 4/3" to match 540mm + 0.65x + APS-C], and then i am left with 8" 1000mm + APS-C, either i use my Newt with 0.9x if i buy, or Paracorr, or just CC 1.0x, i am flexible as i have three cameras [4th soon i hope] and i even will add more filters [Ha 3nm and LRGB].

#10 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:16 AM

Just to add to the topic, for that second scope i am looking for i really plan to use only one of two filters with it, either Lum filter or Ha filter, i already mentioned that i will use a color camera [or only RGB filters] with the Newt, so the rest filters will be with this second scope, i can go with a doublet also if it is only Ha or OIII filter i will be using, but with a Lum, either i go with LP filter to make it good data with no CA or a Lum with cut off in blue/red sides, i don't know if that is a good idea over buying a triplet or nice quality and not worry about CA with standard Lum [IR/UV cut] filter anyway.

#11 PiotrM

PiotrM

Soyuz

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:55 AM

1.  my 6" F4 Newt can match this triplet if i use 0.9x reducer, so i have already one FL covered by two scopes,

Newtonians have little backfocus and adding a focal reducer limits it even more not to mention that it limits the imaging circle. There are Boren-Simon fast Newtonian astrographs, but that a more complex reducer/corrector (and for not so large sensors). Also replicating same focal length of a Newtonian with a refractor is rather pointless as the bigger aperture will be always better - more photons, better resolving power if needed etc. Using small one like that FRA400 is a good idea.

#12 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:47 AM

A good 7"APO may come close to a super well made 8" Newt. But will cost AROUND 40K or so with a mount and be much bigger and much more weight.

#13 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:11 AM

Newtonians have little backfocus and adding a focal reducer limits it even more not to mention that it limits the imaging circle. There are Boren-Simon fast Newtonian astrographs, but that a more complex reducer/corrector (and for not so large sensors). Also replicating same focal length of a Newtonian with a refractor is rather pointless as the bigger aperture will be always better - more photons, better resolving power if needed etc. Using small one like that FRA400 is a good idea.

That is not true, because we are talking about imaging, i saw people mixing different apertures of scopes even types and they got very nice results, so either they have a secret, or they don't care, or you only follow your perfect facts and want others to do the same.

When i was thinking about matching a refr with a Newt it was mixing data, so i can use few filters or even a camera with one scope and another filters and camera with the another, and if i get same FL from both scopes then i just try to use same cameras with both, what i will do is i will use my newer better quality camera with my 90mm and my old camera with this larger aperture Newt 6", this way i combined each pros and cons, after all it is all about the data and processing, convince me it never happen or it is impossible to do, but i am very clear of what i was talking about.

#14 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 11:17 AM

A good 7"APO may come close to a super well made 8" Newt. But will cost AROUND 40K or so with a mount and be much bigger and much more weight.

No chance, i can go with smaller scopes refractors only, i only care about focal length here, because it is imaging, many times with sky conditions and processing we can hide things or can match by software, i wasn't asking to have perfect light bucket scope next to my 8" F/5, after all i will use this 8" for RGB or OSC only, so with small scope i will use Ha, this filter can forgive all scopes, i don't need to use another 8" refr or even 7" refr only to make that Ha perfect to match RGB from 8".

I asked somewhere if anyone can show me an easier or best way to match the spikes from two same Newt, no one answered and then they say go for very expensive scope, in this case i will go with cheaper affordable scope and accepting the issues, i can't afford or spend that much, i don't know why it is impossible to match 8" reflector RGB with 4" refractor Ha, i saw people did, maybe for different purpose, but if no one did it and facing bad issues then i can try to do it myself, i will mostly image galaxies and clusters, so i can always try and see if it works, maybe the best way is to find data from 8" Newt and another data of same exact target from a smaller refr then i try to combine/stack them and see if that will work or not.

#15 PiotrM

PiotrM

Soyuz

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:49 PM

That is not true, because we are talking about imaging, i saw people mixing different apertures of scopes even types and they got very nice results,

When i was thinking about matching a refr with a Newt it was mixing data, so i can use few filters or even a camera with one scope and another filters and camera with the another, and if i get same FL from both scopes then i just try to use same cameras with both, what i will do is i will use my newer better quality camera with my 90mm and my old camera with this larger aperture Newt 6", this way i combined each pros and cons, after all it is all about the data and processing, convince me it never happen or it is impossible to do, but i am very clear of what i was talking about.

Stars will be different, aside of their size Newtonian will have spikes while refractor will not so processing can be a nightmare. Aside of that Newtonians actually have short backfocus. And you shouldn't just look how many telescopes people use but also why and when.

i don't know why it is impossible to match 8" reflector RGB with 4" refractor Ha, i saw people did, maybe for different purpose, but if no one did it and facing bad issues then i can try to do it myself, i will mostly image galaxies and clusters, so i can always try and see if it works, maybe the best way is to find data from 8" Newt and another data of same exact target from a smaller refr then i try to combine/stack them and see if that will work or not.

Because of spikes, different star size due to different optics, seeing effects, focus etc. Plus scaling and rotation for perfect alignment. If you will be imaging galaxies or star clusters then you will want higher resolution than nebulae and other other bigger objects - there a 8" Newtonian will be way better, while small APO would be good for widefield shots of bigger things that don't require/use such resolution. 4" telescope will be slower for same focal length or will be imaging at lower resolution.

And do you have any images from your existing cameras and telescopes? By now you should have like 100 of processed images with all that gear. Or are you just buying to buy it?

Edited by PiotrM, 06 April 2021 - 03:50 PM.

#16 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:25 PM

1. Stars will be different, aside of their size Newtonian will have spikes while refractor will not so processing can be a nightmare. Aside of that Newtonians actually have short backfocus. And you shouldn't just look how many telescopes people use but also why and when.

2. Because of spikes, different star size due to different optics, seeing effects, focus etc. Plus scaling and rotation for perfect alignment. If you will be imaging galaxies or star clusters then you will want higher resolution than nebulae and other other bigger objects - there a 8" Newtonian will be way better, while small APO would be good for widefield shots of bigger things that don't require/use such resolution. 4" telescope will be slower for same focal length or will be imaging at lower resolution.

3. And do you have any images from your existing cameras and telescopes? By now you should have like 100 of processed images with all that gear. Or are you just buying to buy it?

1. That was the goal, to have one scope with spikes and the other without, so if you mean that if using two different scopes will make the stars shifted or bloated or the main target is upside down? I can't understand your saying at all until i can see that in results by others myself.

2. Tell that to people who used multiple scopes even different sizes, so they must didn't know about the difference, it can be issues there, but it can be done, who knows what worse it can be as well, i am having wide field scopes, but i am also buying long FL scopes for different targets, i already mentioned that i am waiting my 90mm and i will pair this with another scope later mainly it will be FRA400 with a reducer, i can use 90mm at native next to 6" F/5 Newt, but this is not a priority, i am more care about something in 250mm-300mm first, almost there, and then at 900mm-1200mm, something in middle like 400-600mm isn't a big deal for me, i want to focus more at wide field side and long focal length side, later i can add more beyond those two.

3. I have images of course, but i didn't process them, i saw the issues, i addressed what i needed, so that i am asking for more gear, i wasted three years already, i learnt from that, now i am planning something and later my real serious work will be shown, i am not in rush like some who want results in one month or less than 1 year, since 2017 until 2019 i didn't use guiding and all my results are just crap because of it, i was so focusing on long exposures and i failed in balancing and guiding, but by end of 2019 i learnt about guiding and i made balancing better, that alone opened so much possibilities to me, and then i got busy on testing filters only or cameras or scopes, one time test is enough for me, so i decided to stop and buy more and more, so later i can put all together, waste time to manage all at once, setup everything at once, then i take my time, i am happy of what i did so far, and that 90mm triplet actually wasn't my main plan, i was planning to buy a large dob for visual and imaging, but the site i was using shocked disappointed me, so i moved to plan B which is a scope for DSO, by coincidence my eyes or search came to that 90mm i saw so i clicked for it and i am still waiting since September, my plan for large scope is still going on, and this i will make it this year with awaiting budget, but i only focus now to receive that 90 and ordering APS-C OSC camera and FRA400 and later by end of summer a large dob, then i am done, next year will be my plan for this second scope next to 8" Newt and another EQ mount.

I don't blame people when they don't know my plans, also i have so many people to follow, if someone here said No impossible someone else did it successfully so i follow that one, who knows, for this 8" F/5 Newt i might add another 8" scope whatever it is, i looked at 8" SCT actually, but i don't know how good that will be, i hear many stories about SCT, between great and bad, so i won't rush getting SCT until i know it will be a better pair/match over other options i mentioned up here, i didn't buy much stuff yet, 3 mono cameras are making me happy and flexible, one more OSC and i am done with cameras, it will be only a game of scopes and mount, i also want to buy Ha 3nm, then i am all set, the problem is that i know those items since  years, i wanted to get them all at once or quick, but i couldn't so that i didn't make any images much, only tests, and i keep waiting budget and saving, and many people believed in my skills and talent, so going out every single night imaging only to tell you and world here i am imaging every night won't solve it, and if i know there are something missing or a lot of things missing then imaging over and over also won't fix it, you already remember me when i was asking about cameras and filters and scopes for planetary, that is done almost just waiting the scope, and that i was first spending money for in last 2 years, now i am trying to finish setup for DSO as well, will take time, but i keep going, you don't know who long i spent asking for a first refr scope for DSO, i remember i was asking from 2018, so i waited until 2020 to make the call.

#17 PiotrM

PiotrM

Soyuz

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:40 PM

1. That was the goal, to have one scope with spikes and the other without, so if you mean that if using two different scopes will make the stars shifted or bloated or the main target is upside down? I can't understand your saying at all until i can see that in results by others myself.

2. Tell that to people who used multiple scopes even different sizes, so they must didn't know about the difference, it can be issues there, but it can be done, who knows what worse it can be as well, i am having wide field scopes, but i am also buying long FL scopes for different targets, i already mentioned that i am waiting my 90mm and i will pair this with another scope later mainly it will be FRA400 with a reducer, i can use 90mm at native next to 6" F/5 Newt, but this is not a priority, i am more care about something in 250mm-300mm first, almost there, and then at 900mm-1200mm, something in middle like 400-600mm isn't a big deal for me, i want to focus more at wide field side and long focal length side, later i can add more beyond those two.

3. I have images of course, but i didn't process them, i saw the issues, i addressed what i needed, so that i am asking for more gear, i wasted three years already, i learnt from that, now i am planning something and later my real serious work will be shown, i am not in rush like some who want results in one month or less than 1 year, since 2017 until 2019 i didn't use guiding and all my results are just crap because of it, i was so focusing on long exposures and i failed in balancing and guiding, but by end of 2019 i learnt about guiding and i made balancing better, that alone opened so much possibilities to me, and then i got busy on testing filters only or cameras or scopes, one time test is enough for me, so i decided to stop and buy more and more, so later i can put all together, waste time to manage all at once, setup everything at once, then i take my time, i am happy of what i did so far, and that 90mm triplet actually wasn't my main plan, i was planning to buy a large dob for visual and imaging, but the site i was using shocked disappointed me, so i moved to plan B which is a scope for DSO, by coincidence my eyes or search came to that 90mm i saw so i clicked for it and i am still waiting since September, my plan for large scope is still going on, and this i will make it this year with awaiting budget, but i only focus now to receive that 90 and ordering APS-C OSC camera and FRA400 and later by end of summer a large dob, then i am done, next year will be my plan for this second scope next to 8" Newt and another EQ mount.

I don't blame people when they don't know my plans, also i have so many people to follow, if someone here said No impossible someone else did it successfully so i follow that one, who knows, for this 8" F/5 Newt i might add another 8" scope whatever it is, i looked at 8" SCT actually, but i don't know how good that will be, i hear many stories about SCT, between great and bad, so i won't rush getting SCT until i know it will be a better pair/match over other options i mentioned up here, i didn't buy much stuff yet, 3 mono cameras are making me happy and flexible, one more OSC and i am done with cameras, it will be only a game of scopes and mount, i also want to buy Ha 3nm, then i am all set, the problem is that i know those items since  years, i wanted to get them all at once or quick, but i couldn't so that i didn't make any images much, only tests, and i keep waiting budget and saving, and many people believed in my skills and talent, so going out every single night imaging only to tell you and world here i am imaging every night won't solve it, and if i know there are something missing or a lot of things missing then imaging over and over also won't fix it, you already remember me when i was asking about cameras and filters and scopes for planetary, that is done almost just waiting the scope, and that i was first spending money for in last 2 years, now i am trying to finish setup for DSO as well, will take time, but i keep going, you don't know who long i spent asking for a first refr scope for DSO, i remember i was asking from 2018, so i waited until 2020 to make the call.

1. If you combine an RGB or LRGB image of differently looking images then the colors will be falsified/crazy. If you use Newtonian spike version as L where as refractor for RGB then the spikes will have no color data and will look weird, especially when RGB will have black there. And when the size will differ you will have color fringes around stars and it will be super hard to scale that in a way that non-star objects match. In short it's processing nightmare. Refractor + Refractors are more likely, although they should have similar characteristics so that so you don't have to fight with star sizes. Or just shoot L in bin1 while RGB in bin2 from one scope.

2. Having multiple scopes is not equal to using every on the same target for the same image. You blindly follow image tooltips or somebody hardware list.

3. Wasting 3 years = hardware isn't the problem, rather that inexperienced user. Many years ago I just bought a good starting kit and got to planetary imaging night one, took some time to get used to the whole process but I did not had to buy and buy stuff, then I bought Meade DSI III Pro as super entry level DS camera, hooked my planetary camera as guider and had M27 first night - it didn't looked like from a $10 000 setup but it was clear and sharp. You don't need extremely complex hardware to do DS imaging - and in other threat you literally asked for no replies other than those agreeing with your shopping spree. And you moved from asking in astrophotography forums to low traffic hardware forums where is less likely to get proper responses.

Don't buy, just ask for help with problems, as 99% of the time you don't have to buy to solve them.

• StarDust1 likes this

#18 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:14 PM

1. If you combine an RGB or LRGB image of differently looking images then the colors will be falsified/crazy. If you use Newtonian spike version as L where as refractor for RGB then the spikes will have no color data and will look weird, especially when RGB will have black there. And when the size will differ you will have color fringes around stars and it will be super hard to scale that in a way that non-star objects match. In short it's processing nightmare. Refractor + Refractors are more likely, although they should have similar characteristics so that so you don't have to fight with star sizes. Or just shoot L in bin1 while RGB in bin2 from one scope.

2. Having multiple scopes is not equal to using every on the same target for the same image. You blindly follow image tooltips or somebody hardware list.

3. Wasting 3 years = hardware isn't the problem, rather that inexperienced user. Many years ago I just bought a good starting kit and got to planetary imaging night one, took some time to get used to the whole process but I did not had to buy and buy stuff, then I bought Meade DSI III Pro as super entry level DS camera, hooked my planetary camera as guider and had M27 first night - it didn't looked like from a $10 000 setup but it was clear and sharp. You don't need extremely complex hardware to do DS imaging - and in other threat you literally asked for no replies other than those agreeing with your shopping spree. And you moved from asking in astrophotography forums to low traffic hardware forums where is less likely to get proper responses.

Don't buy, just ask for help with problems, as 99% of the time you don't have to buy to solve them.

1. RGB or OSC will be done with the Newt, Newtonian is perfect for colors, and i will get spikes ion color, Lum and Ha will be with the refr [or any second scope, if you know how can i match another 8" F/5 Newt spikes with first one please go ahead and i will buy that second 8" F/5 in no time for L and Ha or half filters of LRGB].

2. I follow somebody list is nice and i like it, he or they told me they came long way and they made it and it can be done, actually they told me not listen to others who said it is not possible or not practical, so i listen to those who did it, and not necessary i have same gear list as theirs, but they used multiple setup just fine, i can give it a try first before i continue to more setup gear, 90 APO is my first ever triplet refr, it will be my main refr over my ST80, and i will buy FRA400 because i like it with and without a reducer, if i managed to match both scopes together in results successfully then i can do the same for more, if i failed on that then very simple i won't do that for 6" or 8" scopes, it will be a waste, but i didn't try/test yet, why giving up before i start just because you said so?!!!

3. I looked at your link, you are doing fine, but i didn't see something that telling me about all your comments to me are valid or well taken, i feel like you only giving advises based on what you read and searched and maybe your own experiences, so if you failed in something you tell others also not do it, i have to admit that the three years was my fault, but gear also cooperated for that fault/fail results, so i didn't want to depend in my skills and let the gear do the job, i improve and learn my skills by the time, but i want my hardware to be as good, and when i saw what people can do with processing even a so so not good data i just ignored my skills and only thought about to buy certain gear according to my budget, i have no regret of buying 180 Mak, no regret for that 8" and 6" Newt, they were so **** cheap anyway and bought them right time, now waiting this 90 triplet to be added to the collection and see, someone had better gear than me and spending also years and didn't get that results which those gear should be for, i asked him, he said he doesn't care to have high quality APOD like results, he bought those and keep imaging, and he told me that i am doing better than him and i should keep buying gear to what i think, i didn't spend fortune yet anyway, 2 cheap scopes[$200-300] and another 2 at reasonable prices [$1000-1300] isn't a big deal, heck even my ST80 i am happy with.

Problems are there with high end gear and low end gear, i didn't ask about problems, i already asked about problems while ago another places, got answers, so i moved now from problems solved to buy more stuff for fun, it is not only about buying more to solve more issues, you got that by yourself not from me, sorry if that what you thought about me or from my questions, but i myself have to tell you that i am buying more only because i like to buy more, and others couldn't solve all problems anyway, sometimes some problems is my own and i have to do my way, again, dual imaging isn't a crime or bad, i am sure you are so scared about doing it because of issues, that is limiting, using one scope even so fast one never fixed my time problem as well, this problem time needs different approach, if you don't like it then let/leave others to do and let them face their business, i did use my Canon 135mm lens at F2 with only LRGB and Ha filter all at F2, you know what, i spent 3 nights collecting data and i am still not happy and i was so tired, and many just telling me go with RASA because it is fast, if a lens at F2 didn't make it for me about time, why a scope at F2 will do then, but when i tested ONLY ONCE my ST80+0.8x reducer next to my Canon 300mm at f2.8, i got bad data, but guess what, i go the data in 2 hours that i have to spend like 4-5 hours to do, that is alone what made me to keep this multiple imaging system plan going, don't ask me why bad data, it wasn't a test for having good data, it was a test about the time of collecting data, i collected Ha and OIII and SII data in 2 hours, when i was using Canon 300mm at f2.8 alone i spent like 2-3 nights to collect SHO data, and it wasn't any better anyway over two scopes/cameras in one night.

Back to my topic, if my soon coming system working as dual imaging system, then what i can get for 8" Newt for dual imaging system as a scope? Easy question really.

#19 PiotrM

PiotrM

Soyuz

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:43 PM

based on what you read and searched and maybe your own experiences,

You are only interested in hearing what you want to hear so any other advice is pointless. It's your money, your time and your addiction so I don't really care if you waste yet another $10 000. I can give you advice, you have gotten a lot of advice on the imaging forums but you didn't liked it and moved here - if you don't want advice then don't expect that we will care or encourage you to do things we do not recommend.

#20 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

You are only interested in hearing what you want to hear so any other advice is pointless. It's your money, your time and your addiction so I don't really care if you waste yet another $10 000. I can give you advice, you have gotten a lot of advice on the imaging forums but you didn't liked it and moved here - if you don't want advice then don't expect that we will care or encourage you to do things we do not recommend.

Explain that!!!

#21 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:50 PM

This person used two scopes for this result, i don't know how, is that wrong? Or is it only possible with his gear? I can ask him, but if i asked and he told me and i came here then i will hear and read same your comment, that i don't care and i don't listen, thanks for this reply really.

https://www.astrobin...gztk3l/?nc=user

Scopes:

Zeiss APQ130

AOM 160 + 0.75x

I can post more from others, but i think you also don't care about my points and my questions or my searches and only you judging me according to your advises and others here.

#22 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:54 PM

This person also i kept watching him for years, he is using so many systems, i even don't know what he has currently since years, so this image he used data from a Newt, a doublet and a triplet, flattener, reducer, corrector, what else he needs to add there???

https://www.astrobin...e=22065&nc=user

Edited by TareqPhoto, 06 April 2021 - 05:55 PM.

#23 PiotrM

PiotrM

Soyuz

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:56 PM

This person used two scopes for this result, i don't know how, is that wrong?

Color fringes on stars. Galaxy is nice, but stars are really bad.

Edited by PiotrM, 06 April 2021 - 05:56 PM.

#24 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:00 PM

Color fringes on stars. Galaxy is nice, but stars are really bad.

Yes, i saw that, i know, i don't care about it, i really like it, and i will be happy with results like this anyway, he was using refr only, i said i will use a reflector for RGB and a refr for another channel, i said there will be issues, but i am fine with that, i am not talking about IOTD or APOD results.

#25 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 06:05 PM

Hee he was using 3 lenses, what he can do about lenses anyway? I have Canon lens 300mm, i won't give it up as well, i can't just magically making it super quality free CA for astro, so i should use it as it is, same with scopes.

https://www.astrobin...e=48237&nc=user

If one day i want only super quality free of issues or CA stars then i will use only one scope, either a triplet or a Newt, this is always possible, but for fun and collecting data and having results in no time i like to go with multiple imaging system, many results i will keep it for myself, who knows, i might have nice results with this multiple better than others, i have quality filters and nice cameras, those also have factors or roles to play here.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics