•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

12nm Astronomik SHO filters v. Baader F/2 SHO filters? What's the difference and which should I buy?

Astrometry Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ArandomPilot

ArandomPilot

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winter Park, Colorado

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

Considering my last topic was on the Hyperstar v. RASA, and ultimately settled on the hyperstar, it's now time for filters. The hyperstar will provide the narrowband data and I may use a separate refractor of similar focal length for star data, still not sure. 

So browsing through the filter section on High Point Scientific, I saw a much cheaper brand of filter from Astronomik. Selling $129.95 each (1.25"), I can get SHO filters for a few hundred cheaper than the Baader filters. They're cheap and may work for my application because they're advertised to work down at F/1.2. 

Baader on the other hand offers the same size filter to work with F/2 systems or faster, however, its bandwidth transmission is unknown. It has a premium price (the SHO set is around $700) of about $130 more per filter but people say they are much better.

Since I don't have either of these filters since I don't have a use for them until now, I ask the people of CN to determine which filter set is better in terms of images. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrometry, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics