•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

one year in EAA - what a difference!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 GazingOli

GazingOli

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 05 April 2021 - 11:27 AM

I started with EAA almost exactly one year ago - not knowing what I am doing smile.gif The idea was to put together a simple and cheap EAA setup and observe with the camera aside the eyepiece. However things turned out to be not as simple as I thought and I spent night after night with really poor results:

M51 comp engl.jpg

M81 comp.jpg

M104 comp.jpg

When I watch these images I really wonder why I did not just give up. But it obviously payed to hold on and things improved in a way that I never believed it would be possible. Now EAA is really fun to me.

CS.Oli

• Ptarmigan, EmeraldHills, tjay and 33 others like this

#2 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 05 April 2021 - 11:43 AM

Yes I agree what a year has made in the images you have posted.waytogo.gif

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 05 April 2021 - 02:10 PM

Congratulations on making it for a year, Oli. Amazing progress. Do you have any tips for those new to the hobby, what things made a significant difference for you in that time?

#4 mikenoname

mikenoname

Apollo

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:07 PM

Way to stick with it Oli.Not only have your skills massively improved but you are an asset to this community.

• orionic and GazingOli like this

#5 Tiago Ferreira

Tiago Ferreira

Viking 1

• Loc: Algarve - Portugal

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:35 PM

Very nice!!

I'm having a lot of fun with EAA too. I keep the feeling it's my way to go, it fits what i like.

I've just came to do visual observations and then live stacked a bunch of galaxies with details impossible to see without a camera. And no need of saving loads of files, processing, etc. Just click and save the image as it is.

Enjoy a lot Mike's videos, this forum, and i'm learning more and more night after night.

• Lastinline likes this

#6 GazingOli

GazingOli

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:44 PM

Thank you Errol and Mike (see me blushing?)

I got a lot of inspiration from this board. Even if I did not understand how, you showed me that it is possible and made me keep on trying. Thank you all for that!

The rest is finding your own way: the equipment that fits you and the desired targets. Try out as much as you can rather than stick to rules. Who cares about image scale if an ASI178 (2.4 micron px) does such a good job for EAA with a C8 (2032 mm FL)? 

And be patient. EAA as is a good deal of experience.

CS.Oli

Edited by GazingOli, 06 April 2021 - 08:31 AM.

• mikenoname and Lastinline like this

#7 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 April 2021 - 10:51 PM

Looks like it was worth the effort and time you put in over the one year, so well done! The darks, flats and esp. stacking made a huge difference.

Steve

#8 Cey42

Cey42

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kirkland, WA

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:18 AM

I was just looking at images that I first captured 6 months ago when I started. Yes those results were "poor" but I still thought they were amazing at the time. Even now when I see the images that people like you post, I know that I can do better but I still appreciate how good my current images are. This is all a slow but fun learning process.

Cey

• jim kuhns, GazingOli, Tiago Ferreira and 1 other like this

#9 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:08 AM

I found when starting EAA that there were so many new things to figure out, it takes a while to get everything working and during that time things can be hit or miss. Once you are up and running, it is easier to add or change one thing at a time to see the overall effect on your set-up.  At least that is how it is for me.

#10 GazingOli

GazingOli

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2021 - 01:10 PM

True Errol! It was a very good advice of yours, when you told me to always keep one running unit untouched while trying out new things. Nothing worse than having a clear night, trying something new that you cannot get it working.

CS.Oli

• alphatripleplus likes this

#11 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 07 April 2021 - 01:49 PM

And Just to point something else out: a normal C8 with and without a FR is a killer EAA scope. Be it AZ or EQ mounted dollar for dollar (especially used) I am always amazed at what a C8 can do. I had mine 20 years in Jan. 21. Fine quick images and well worth the time to see them.

• GazingOli and hornjs like this

#12 GazingOli

GazingOli

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2021 - 02:09 PM

True! I love it!

CS.Oli

#13 Ambart3561

Ambart3561

Sputnik

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 01 May 2021 - 10:33 PM

You all have convinced me! After many years of visual only observation I am thinking about a transition to EAA to accommodate my aging eyes.

GazingOli, the transition shown in your images is simply amazing. It is everything I hoped one could achieve with EAA. I have started collecting software and hardware to begin my own transition. I hope to follow your example while figuring out the path that will work for me.

Inspiration can come from so many places. Thank You.

• GazingOli likes this

#14 GazingOli

GazingOli

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 May 2021 - 12:25 AM

Thank you waytogo.gif 

I am sure you will have a lot of fun with EAA! And there are so many helpful souls in this forum that will help you to overcome any trouble that may come up, when getting into EAA.

CS.Oli

#15 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 02 May 2021 - 07:36 AM

I started with EAA almost exactly one year ago - not knowing what I am doing smile.gif The idea was to put together a simple and cheap EAA setup and observe with the camera aside the eyepiece. However things turned out to be not as simple as I thought and I spent night after night with really poor results:

attachicon.gifM51 comp engl.jpg

attachicon.gifM81 comp.jpg

attachicon.gifM104 comp.jpg

When I watch these images I really wonder why I did not just give up. But it obviously payed to hold on and things improved in a way that I never believed it would be possible. Now EAA is really fun to me.

CS.Oli

Oli, you give me such hope. Friday night made three months for me -- 17 nights of observing. Sometimes, I'm so eager to learn more and be better. But you give us all hope! : ) EAA is a JOURNEY, not a destination. Thanks for inspiring us.

• GazingOli and hornjs like this

#16 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 02 May 2021 - 12:24 PM

EAA is a JOURNEY, not a destination. 

Very well said. Last night, for example, we had partly cloudy skies, but I had fun checking out a few Arp galaxies. If I had been trying to do AP, I would likely have not bothered given the sub optimal skies. For EAA, it was a fun exercise, and I was surprised at what I could see.

• hornjs likes this

#17 Mark Lovik

Mark Lovik

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 May 2021 - 09:53 PM

I started EAA a couple of weeks ago ... just took some time for delivery.  Your galaxy images with modest cameras and hardware has helped me getting started.  I have looked at EAA experiences by many others .. but your success started my path.

My first image of M51 knocked it out of the park.  Everything was wrong. .. but the image was great.

Thanks

• GazingOli likes this

#18 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:32 AM

It is good to start EAA with easy bright targets, and M51 certainly fits in that category.

• Mark Lovik likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics