•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Edmund family gains another member!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:02 PM

New 6" in the front. Came with a complete set of RKEs. Not a clear night since I've had the 3 red ones... Now I have 2 with motor drives.

What am I going to do with them?!! They're taking up the whole living room!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1139359-Uh-oh.jpg

#2 tbourg

tbourg

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:23 PM

Hello,

That's a neat German mount on the 6". I believe I would like it better than the fork mount of the 8". The 8" Edmund I used recently has some flex in the fork and adjusting the latitude is difficult.

I really like RKE eyepieces, too. Did you get the barlow?

You are very lucky to have those great scopes.

Clear skies.

Tom B.

#3 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:26 PM

You, Sir, are an addict.

Keith (which is just fine by me)

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

Get a bigger living room.

#5 twhite

twhite

Vanguard

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:19 PM

You know, I've got that family's missing stepson, the 3" f/15 refractor. I'm sure they would like to have him back, even though he doesn't have a mirror... we can certainly arrange *something*. :)

#6 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:22 PM

Very nice collection, Jay! Congratulations!

#7 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:40 PM

You know, I've got that family's missing stepson, the 3" f/15 refractor. I'm sure they would like to have him back, even though he doesn't have a mirror... we can certainly arrange *something*. :)

Ouch! I feel eyes burning in the back of my head!!

#8 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:49 AM

I really like RKE eyepieces, too. Did you get the barlow?

You are very lucky to have those great scopes.

Clear skies.

Tom B.

Tom, I not only got the barlow (2.5x), but I now have 2 complete sets!

Right time/right place for these scopes. I suppose living in Philadelphia (relatively close to Barrington, NJ) makes me more likely to stumble upon them. Not including restoration costs for the 8"er, I've paid a total of $374 for the three scopes and lenses. The new 6"er needs no real work at all. The man (an ex-husband in this case) took really good care of it. I need to buy 1 replacement knob for the feet (so they all match), and I picked up an extra large Allen-wrench for adjusting the polar axis.

The new-scope curse has been hard on me, without a night out since the end of July, when I bought the first one.

Craigslist.com is a great place to find things like this, stuff people want to get rid of and have no idea what it is. The 6"er was listed under:

general: telescope:

8 inch Edmund Scientific Co
Medium Duty Equatorial Mounts
(Nos. 85,309 and 85,312)
Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx

I bought both the 8" and 6" from Craigslist, and the people were very happy that they were going to an enthusiastic person. They were just cleaning house and wanted to get rid of stuff... - j

Attached Thumbnails

• 1140230-two-sets.jpg

#9 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:54 PM

Is that the scope from craigs list that was in PA? I tried calling last night but nobody was home. Sure would have like to have gotten there first...

#10 Bob W6PU

Bob W6PU

Vanguard

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:01 PM

Quite a impressive collection Jay!

Do you take them all out and observe regularly with them, or do you just collect them?

Bob
10" Treckerscope...Circa 1956

#11 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 09 September 2006 - 06:22 PM

Darenwh - It was from Philadelphia, PA. Listed August 30th. Don't know how I missed it for that long!

Bob - Unfortunately, the scope curse works with classic scopes too. Since I bought the first one at the end of July, I haven't had a clear night. That was great as far as getting the 8" restored, but I'm REALLY getting antsy now! This week coming up looks good, so I hope to have the 8" AND the 6" out. I need to get a portable power solution, since these are AC motors and my car cigarette lighter has no power for my adapter. This viewing session may be on the sidewalk in front of my row-home!

I'm betting that I'm going to feel a bit guilty not taking enough advantage of them, so I may let them go out on long-term loans to friends and family who would. - j

#12 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

That's the one. Oh well, would have probably been difficult to impossible to get it sent to me in Wisconsin any ways. Enjoy the scope.

#13 Bob W6PU

Bob W6PU

Vanguard

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:48 PM

That's very good of you Jay. I hope that those beauties will be well taken care of by your friends and family. I am very possessive about my scope and eyepieces! :lol:

It's been raining or cloudy here, for the last month. Now that we have a clear night, the bloody moon is out. Ya just can't seem to win! :shrug:

Cheers!
Bob

#14 ForgottenMObject

ForgottenMObject

Soyuz

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:31 PM

Very nice! Sorry - I like red telescopes since I had a Tasco years ago... I also don't see what is wrong with them taking up the whole living room...

#15 jonnyastro

jonnyastro

Gemini

• ****-

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:02 PM

I really miss that company. Thanks for the nostalgia, i started out with a 3 inch F10 Edmund reflector!

#16 droid

droid

rocketman

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:26 AM

jay ; hey listen dude if you need the space that badly Ill store one for yah :grin:
Seriously though, I would kill for a set of RKE eps , I remember drooling over the edmund telescopes and thinking how cool the rke eps looked with theyre red bands.
But I guess Im dating myself a little bit ,lol.
Didnt thye used ot have a 3 inch too????

#17 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hello,

That's a neat German mount on the 6". I believe I would like it better than the fork mount of the 8". The 8" Edmund I used recently has some flex in the fork and adjusting the latitude is difficult.

Tom B.

Tom,

I had a chance to get both of these out the past two nights. I found the 6"'s GEQ susceptible to vibration and there's a little play in it that I'm hoping to fix. Not being that familiar with GEQs, I had a bit of difficulty with getting the finder and EPs in the right viewing spots. Planned Wilcox rings should ease this.

On the other hand, the 8" and its yoke mount were rock solid! (perhaps from really cranking the tension adjust between the legs). Great views, though I've found that my tube has bound itself to the felt pads of the cradle (darn paint!), so my Wilcox rings weren't able to show their stuff. If only it weren't such a pain to set up, but the looks from the neighbors were worth it!

On both scopes, I found myself wanting either a Telrad or red-dot finder. The 8" in particular was difficult to site down the tube. The fork just got in the way!

#18 tbourg

tbourg

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

Hello,

I'm very glad your fork mount is so solid! The one I used had seen better days and I believe it could have used some new bolts/screws, etc. It was donated to the local observatory and is in pretty good shape overall though. A number of the astronomy club members have remarked about how good it is optically, btw.

I've never seen an Edmund newtonian that I did not like. I hope your scopes give you a lot of hours of great views.

Clear skies.

Tom B.

#19 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:40 PM

Jay,
Well, I didn't get an edmonds but I got myself an RV-6 for just $100.00. It's in ver good shape per the seller and pics look great. Didn't come with all the eyepeices though, just one. It was right near my mom and dads place so they picked it up for me. I live in Wisconsin and have only seen pics so far of it though. I can't wait to pick it up. Unfortunately, that will probably have to wait till November. Glad to hear the scopes are working out well. They deffinately look excellent.

#20 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:16 PM

If you want yet another Edmund, there is a 12.5" F4 on Craigslist in South Jersey...

#21 jayscheuerle

jayscheuerle

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:16 PM

If you want yet another Edmund, there is a 12.5" F4 on Craigslist in South Jersey...

I sent the guy an email, even though I have neither the space nor the money for it ($2,500). He bought it for his son in elementary school in hopes that he would become a professional astronomer. Then his son discovered girls and the scope lost its appeal.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics