•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What did you NOT observe with your classic telescope today?

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#51 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:39 PM

It’s easy to get in a rut and hard to get out of one but the effort proves worthy! I can never remember a night out under the stars when I thought ‘gee, I’d rather be inside watching television.’ I need to keep that in mind.

• steve t, deepwoods1, paul m schofield and 7 others like this

#52 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:59 PM

This is when a reasonable flow of telescopes is good to keep interest high.

Especially when its not possible to observe. 

A new craig's list find can feed you with sweet candy or a sour lemon drop!

We are hunter gatherers by nature always on the lookout and we take it back to the

cave and make it shinny again.

Robert

:waytogo:

I think having enough scopes of enough different sizes and types makes for a variety of choices that can keep things interesting.. of course that $55 Craigslist find is a nice shot in the arm... 

Now Matty S.. he's working his rear off.. he's got other needs and priorities.   But he's probably young enough that there will years of less stress ahead..

OK.. Now here's the Biggie I know I've been guilty of..  It's clear, maybe not a great night or even a good night but it's good enough I know in my heart I should be out there at least for a while..

But instead.. I'm reading the Cloudy Nights forums and typing away...

Jon

• Pete W, steve t, paul m schofield and 4 others like this

#53 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:59 PM

Also Mag 5 skies don't help with deep sky. My avg nite is Mag 3.5. So even globs in a 18" just don't look good.

• steve t, paul m schofield, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#54 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:01 PM

It’s easy to get in a rut and hard to get out of one but the effort proves worthy! I can never remember a night out under the stars when I thought ‘gee, I’d rather be inside watching television.’ I need to keep that in mind.

That is so true. The hard part is just getting out there.

#55 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:37 AM

That is so true. The hard part is just getting out there.

After all these years i can get out there in a mins time and not lift a thing.  I just roll the 18" Obsession out and fine tune collimation and i am ready to go. I am so lazy i even leave the handles on the scope. Once i am done i just roll it in and that is it.

If i could get a 20" F/6 to fit thru the door and roll out that would be my dream planet scope.

• steve t, paul m schofield, rcwolpert and 3 others like this

#56 Pete W

Pete W

Viking 1

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:26 AM

So tonight I went out with my Pentax 12x50 binoculars on my super Manfrotto tripod (way overkill) with the Far-Sight mount and illuminated finder. M42 and M43 were very nice. Then on to Sirius, M41 and M47. Views were great and so much easier than setting up the telescope.

Bob, saw this  post of yours  in the ”What did you observe” thread.  Any time observing is time well spent... bino viewing may be a great substitute for lugging out a scope.   Bino doubles?  Bino opens?

• rcwolpert likes this

#57 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:20 AM

I have just got plain lazy, that is all there is to it.  I can see why people put up an observatory.  All you got to do is walk out and enjoy.

Edited by starman876, 08 April 2021 - 09:22 AM.

• steve t, deepwoods1, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#58 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:47 PM

I have just got plain lazy, that is all there is to it.  I can see why people put up an observatory.  All you got to do is walk out and enjoy.

Yes! And the older I get, the lazier I get! lol.gif

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#59 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:50 PM

So tonight I went out with my Pentax 12x50 binoculars on my super Manfrotto tripod (way overkill) with the Far-Sight mount and illuminated finder. M42 and M43 were very nice. Then on to Sirius, M41 and M47. Views were great and so much easier than setting up the telescope.

Bob, saw this  post of yours  in the ”What did you observe” thread.  Any time observing is time well spent... bino viewing may be a great substitute for lugging out a scope.   Bino doubles?  Bino opens?

Thanks, Pete!  I did get some satisfaction from using the binos. Any only 1 trip down and up the stairs!

• Pete W and steve t like this

#60 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:13 PM

I woke up at 4:00 this morning and couldn’t sleep so I grabbed my CZJ 10x50 binocs and went out for a while on the deck and my lower observing pad. It was peaceful, quiet, and dark with so much in the way of ambient light turned off. It was also warm and balmy with a southerly wind. I was quite comfortable just in my nightgown. A multi-layer cloud deck was racing across the sky but in intervening sucker-holes, the entire Summer Triangle was exposed. After waiting a bit, holes opening further down to the south and the associated star fields of Scorpius and Sagittarius came in to view. There is a wonderful magic about the solitude of a private backyard in the small hours of the morning, as the rest of the world slumbers before the days activities begin. Shortly there after, more clouds obscured the view. The birds were just waking and beginning to talk. By then it was 5AM. I came inside and went back to bed, and gradually fell asleep. While dropping off I remembered doing this very thing as a teenager just entering our wonderful hobby. Were it not for this thread, I would have just remained in bed no doubt, tossing and turning and feeling guilty for letting myself miss out. Just remember, if taking out the telescope feels like to much, grab a pair of binoculars.

• Jon Isaacs, davidmcgo, Vesper818 and 16 others like this

#61 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:59 PM

I woke up at 4:00 this morning and couldn’t sleep so I grabbed my CZJ 10x50 binocs and went out for a while on the deck and my lower observing pad. It was peaceful, quiet, and dark with so much in the way of ambient light turned off. It was also warm and balmy with a southerly wind. I was quite comfortable just in my nightgown. A multi-layer cloud deck was racing across the sky but in intervening sucker-holes, the entire Summer Triangle was exposed. After waiting a bit, holes opening further down to the south and the associated star fields of Scorpius and Sagittarius came in to view. There is a wonderful magic about the solitude of a private backyard in the small hours of the morning, as the rest of the world slumbers before the days activities begin. Shortly there after, more clouds obscured the view. The birds were just waking and beginning to talk. By then it was 5AM. I came inside and went back to bed, and gradually fell asleep. While dropping off I remembered doing this very thing as a teenager just entering our wonderful hobby. Were it not for this thread, I would have just remained in bed no doubt, tossing and turning and feeling guilty for letting myself miss out. Just remember, if taking out the telescope feels like to much, grab a pair of binoculars.

Love it!!

• Terra Nova likes this

#62 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Soyuz

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:06 PM

Ditto    on the binocs....

Meanwhile this thread motivated me to get up and out

I drove 10 miles north to the farm    guess that's a story for the other thread

• steve t, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 2 others like this

#63 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:20 AM

You brought many nice memories from my early days in astronomy. I used to wake up in the early hours of the morning to observe new objects that would not be available during the nights for months. On one of these occasions I woke at 4:00am to get my first view of Saturn. It must have been May or June of 66. My grandma, who always rose at 4:00am, tugged at my feet that morning, I jumped out of bed, picked up my Sears 60mm f/11 placed it in the driveway looking toward the south side of the house. The sky was crystal clear and Saturn was up there much brighter than I can see it this days. I pointed the telescope at the planet with the 15mm .965" Huygens in place. Then came that moment of awe when I focused the little image of the planet at 47x and saw the rings. The 4mm "Special Ramsden" provided a larger view. I remained pasted to the eyepiece until the sky began to brighten and I heard my mother looking for me. That experience sealed astronomy as my lifetime hobby. My guess is that a lot in this wonderful group had a similar experience. I think that I will repeat this during next month or in June when Saturn is almost at the same place in the wee hours of the morning. This thread is bringing all my "excuses" for not observing crumbling down.

• Jon Isaacs, Vesper818, Pete W and 10 others like this

#64 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:40 PM

I frequently use binocs or a small scope for a bit pre dawn or just before bed most nights if it is clear.  An Edmund Voyager or Astroscan are out in no time at all.  Especially if the waning Moon is well placed.

Even my C5 and Meade 2044 are one trip out since I can just put them on the pier for the 10” Celestron and each has a diagonal and a couple of eyepieces in their case.

Dave

• steve t, rcwolpert and Defenderslideguitar like this

#65 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Soyuz

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:45 PM

plus one for that little 63 mm Edmund Voyager

I took it out for a short while several nights ago and I am always impressed with the great optics in the ultimate grab and go     hard not to do even when there are more excuses not to       the voyager is quick and easy   I do not apologize for not listening to my many excuses not to use it,,,,just do it

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 12 April 2021 - 07:46 PM.

#66 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:32 PM

I have a confession to make. This is really embarrassing. Over the last few years I’ve really started to try to come up with reasons to NOT take my classic telescopes outside to do some observing. I look for distant clouds that might possibly come rolling in. Perhaps it’s a bit too hot and humid. That’s certainly true for the summer months here in Florida. Too many bugs! That’s a good excuse! Too much light pollution - can't forget that! But to be totally honest, it’s usually just that I don’t have the motivation and would rather sit in front of the TV and stream some movie with a glass of good bourbon in my hand.

I wasn’t always this way. Until the time I was 30 I was totally dedicated and there was nothing that could keep me from getting outside with my scope. I’d clear 2 feet of snow with a path and telescope setup area and go out in single digits with 5 layers of clothes on and stay out there until my toes and fingers were totally numb. Not anymore. Now below 65 degrees is another really good excuse not to take my classic scope out.

Maybe it’s my age (71), or the fact that it takes me 5 trips up and down the condo stairs to get all my equipment out there, or the fact that I can seldom see stars dimmer than 9th magnitude with any of my remaining classic telescopes, but I now finding myself always looking for reasons NOT to observe with my classic scopes.

Just wondering if there is anyone else here who has found themself looking for reasons NOT to observe with your classic scopes. Maybe we need a support group! smile.gif

Not just age.  With houses at over $1M a pop in major cities now (and backyards to go with them), I expect many will be condo-bound or apartment-bound as time goes on and without a balcony, observing sessions would be fewer and far between.  However, before the covid  thing, I did see a guy arrive at a star party with a scope and tripod in a backpack and the guy had biked in.  Obviously, it wasn't a huge scope.  :)

• steve t and rcwolpert like this

#67 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:26 AM

My wife says i spend more time looking at telescopes than looking through them which with our local weather is true. Whenever i need an excuse not to go outside in the cold weather i start tinkering with one of the many project scopes i have lying around, promising myself i'll take the scope outside for a test. Of course the repairs drag on until bedtime, especially when you have one eye on the tv or stop to post here on CN.

#68 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:27 AM

My wife says i spend more time looking at telescopes than looking through them which with our local weather is true. Whenever i need an excuse not to go outside in the cold weather i start tinkering with one of the many project scopes i have lying around, promising myself i'll take the scope outside for a test. Of course the repairs drag on until bedtime, especially when you have one eye on the tv or stop to post here on CN.

lol.gif Love it!  Often the tinkering is the most fun and best excuse . . . Especially with the tv and a pint sitting there!

• steve t, Terra Nova, GreyDay and 2 others like this

#69 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Soyuz

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:08 AM

Being cold is a real excuse......Must admit that cold weather bothers me more now than when I was younger. It kills me to watch the younger generations  going outside in the winter with just a sweatshirt. We did not do that even when we were teenagers and twenty somethings       We had snorkel jackets   and denim jackets for spring and fall.

Rich   yes so  when one downsizes  the idea of  a condo with a garage, a balcony,   and can we find one facing south?

For me   when it is winter cold     observing is less frequent and short in duration

Binoculars do a good job in the cold  or going out with the dogs.....

#70 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:33 AM

A multi-level condo would be a definite no for me. I loved being on the third floor of a historic brownstone walkup when I lived in Cincinnati in the city within a short walk of Eden Park but those days are gone. I love the 1927 craftsman bungalow I now own, but with both an upstairs and a walkout basement, there’s still a lot of stairs to climb. It’s going to be a no-go in another ten years I’m sure. I do like the idea of a single-level patio home all on one level where several units are attached and each has a garage and a nice big patio. My sister has one. That does appeal to me. My daughter and I have also been talking about getting a duplex at some point.

• steve t, rcwolpert, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#71 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:46 AM

I've been very tempted over the last few years to sell this condo on an island with a beautiful view (see below) and purchase a home that's much further inland and has dark skies. If my wife would go for it, I'd put up the For Sale sign and begin the house hunt.  But it's not easy giving up this view and location. There are a lot of tradeoffs here. If I were single, the decision would be easy - forget the ocean and get a mountain cottage with the darkest skies I can find.

med_gallery_211497_4490_165517.jpg

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 4 others like this

#72 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:53 AM

Last night was a very nice, moonless night. However, the TV and a delicious martini kept calling my name, so my classics did not observe anything last night, and I'm sure they all feel pretty left out.

But I have an idea! I'm going to put the Questar and Meade mount away and set up my Mayflower 815 for grab and go operations once again!  I may even set up the 816. That takes only two trips to get it outside and set up, and I sacrifice nothing in the views it gives me in comparison to the Questar.

(Note: You're probably thinking why not just keep all of them set up and ready to go. Answer: No room. bawling.gif)

• steve t, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 3 others like this

#73 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE Tennessee

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:02 AM

Or, sometimes in Spring... the Peepers are too loud!... bugeyes.gif

Oh, yes, New Hampshire!

For years each springtime, I looked for the bad bearing...

• rcwolpert and Matty S like this

#74 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Soyuz

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:21 AM

I've been very tempted over the last few years to sell this condo on an island with a beautiful view (see below) and purchase a home that's much further inland and has dark skies. If my wife would go for it, I'd put up the For Sale sign and begin the house hunt.  But it's not easy giving up this view and location. There are a lot of tradeoffs here. If I were single, the decision would be easy - forget the ocean and get a mountain cottage with the darkest skies I can find.

Awesome view....there is nothing like being on the water... Love marinas  sailing, fishing, boat watching ,people watching, weather watching, storm watching......as a guy with a sailboat    that is an ideal place to live for me.......Everything is  a trade off   but   seeing things more clearly from your view     I would not move    just  observe when you want    play guitar when you want   have a drink when you want  (is that  an ES 335  in blonde I saw in  post 41 lurking behind  the Q?)

Ideally    you run into some more money  an get a small cabin or trailer or cottage    what do they have in Florida anyway?       ...   out in the middle of nowhere where you can take a scope or two, observe into the darker night and have that good night drink and have a place to crash so you don't fall asleep on the way home....EDIT   I just looked up where Hutchinson Island is     traveling west towards Okeechobee it might get darker.... 

but it would make no sense to sell that lovely place   

go with the Mayflower move as stated above

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 13 April 2021 - 10:29 AM.

• steve t, Terra Nova, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#75 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 13 April 2021 - 10:29 AM

How is the viewing from your balcony Bob?

• steve t likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics