•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2-in focuser fit on a 10-in meade starfinder without any modifications or or drilling required? drilling

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RunaboutCJ

RunaboutCJ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:15 PM

I have a 1994 10 inch EQ. has the original crap focuser on it looking for something else but I don't want to get into having to drill holes and that sort of thing. Wondering if there's something that will fit the existing holes.

Many many thanks

#2 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:50 PM

Pictures and hole pattern measurements.

These scopes often had a high focuser. You might have a focus problem if you replace one with a modern low profile focuser. 

• RunaboutCJ likes this

#3 Jim T

Jim T

Ranger 4

• Loc: Eastern MO

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:56 PM

Many years ago I replaced the crappy plastic 2" focuser on my 16" Meade Starfinder with a generic rack-and-pinion 2" from Orion.  The holes lined up distance-wise, but they were at a slightly different angle (like for a tube for an 8 or 10 inch scope).  A very small modification with a drill bit, touched up inside with some flat black paint.  Currently from Orion they only have a 2" Crayford, but it appears to be normal height and not low-profile, which is good.  You are not likely to find much experience from people compared to what is available from retailers today.  So very many of those old Starfinders got eventually re-built, mostly as truss style.  I practically wore the tube off of mine shoving it in and out of my car, and also the particle mirror cell board eventually warped.  I was very glad to give the heave-ho to that nasty spider/secondary combo that made collimation such a hated task.  If yours is still in good shape it must have been stored in the house and not used on many humid autumn evenings.

#4 RunaboutCJ

RunaboutCJ

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 April 2021 - 10:12 AM

Thanks

#5 sdedalus83

sdedalus83

Viking 1

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:11 AM

I’ve got a focuser from a DS10 and a Nihon Seiko focuser like the ones University Optics sold. The screw-on eyepiece holders are interchangeable and all of the other dimensions are close, if not the same. The NS focuser would need a 2.5” hole, with mounting holes spaced 1 9/16” between holes on each side and 2.75” from side to side.

#6 LDW47

LDW47

Cosmos

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:21 PM

Check out Agena Astro’s focuser page on sizing replacements, you will gain a lot of information that should help you determine the extent of what is required. It even has personal experiences / comments from fellow astronomers.

• Jim T likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics