•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reasonable prices for used astro cameras

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nyx

nyx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 06 April 2021 - 03:01 PM

Taking into account all the new monochrome CMOS cameras that were recently introduced, what would be a reasonable price for a used ASI183MM Pro or ASI1600MM Pro?

#2 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:19 PM

Value equals what a knowledgeable buyer, given enough time for a decision, is willing to pay to a knowledgeable seller, given enough time for a decision, for a particular object.

In a perfect world every transaction would be recorded for historical purposes and available to both future buyers and sellers. But, that is not the case and in reality it ends being for you to determine "is this price okay"?

Look at eBay, Astromart, here and anywhere else to hopefully find a sale of either camera. If no sales are available and you have a reasonable idea of the condition of a camera, then determine what is it worth to you and make an offer. If the seller counters with another offer to sell and that is in your decision range then you will have acquired the camera at a fair price to you and the seller.

You are asking a question only you can answer. Good luck!

#3 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:32 PM

Taking into account all the new monochrome CMOS cameras that were recently introduced, what would be a reasonable price for a used ASI183MM Pro or ASI1600MM Pro?

It would depend on condition, age, and completeness.

If it was still under warranty and in "perfect" condition, I would want at least 10-15% off to consider it (as a buyer).

If it was older, I would want at least 20% (and more likely around 30%) off to consider it.

When I mean price, I mean total price to me--so no Paypal fees or shipment costs. 

If there were issues (e.g. cooler problems) I wouldn't buy. If small parts (connectors) or case were missing I would want perhaps 5-10% extra discount. 

• cybermayberry and nyx like this

#4 cybermayberry

cybermayberry

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:38 PM

I have a feeling you may see a flood of ASI1600MM Pro soon, as the asi2600mm pro start arriving. Seems many are upgrading

#5 nyx

nyx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:39 PM

It would depend on condition, age, and completeness.

If it was still under warranty and in "perfect" condition, I would want at least 10-15% off to consider it (as a buyer).

If it was older, I would want at least 20% (and more likely around 30%) off to consider it.

When I mean price, I mean total price to me--so no Paypal fees or shipment costs.

If there were issues (e.g. cooler problems) I wouldn't buy. If small parts (connectors) or case were missing I would want perhaps 5-10% extra discount.

The ASI183MM Pro sells for 1240€ new and I've found one used around 800-850€.

The ASI1600MM Pro sells for 1590€ new and I've found one used for 850-900€.

Both cameras seem to be in good condition and fully functional.

I was just wondering if those offers are fair.

I am considering getting one for my 60/360 refractor.

#6 nyx

nyx

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:39 PM

I have a feeling you may see a flood of ASI1600MM Pro soon, as the asi2600mm pro start arriving. Seems many are upgrading

Yeah, waiting for the flood :)

#7 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:47 PM

The ASI183MM Pro sells for 1240€ new and I've found one used around 800-850€.

The ASI1600MM Pro sells for 1590€ new and I've found one used for 850-900€.

Both cameras seem to be in good condition and fully functional.

I was just wondering if those offers are fair.

I am considering getting one for my 60/360 refractor.

The ASI1600MM-Pro offer is spectacular. The ASI183MM Pro offer is decent. I assume much of the savings is out of not having to pay VAT? The new prices are insane compared to the US. 

The ASI1600MM-Pro is a *much* better camera than the ASI183MM-Pro (I own both cameras). Its only flaw is microlensing on very bright stars. Every time I think of selling and upgrading mine, I look at the images I have with it and change my mind. 

Make sure that the cooler and the fan work, and that there's no damage on the sensor or the window. It is important to be able to trust the seller. 

#8 stream41

stream41

Vostok 1

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:39 PM

I think COVID has flipped a lot of this on its head, with supply chains not being too reliable. I've sold a lot of AP gear lately, and it's all sold very quickly and for full asking price (which I thought were pretty ambitious prices at the time). Will be interesting to see how the trend continues as inventory levels start to normalize over the next year or so.

And Stelios - now you have me questioning my 183MM! It's on my SpaceCat and I usually love the results. I don't think I'd want to go any wider with that SpaceCat, which is why I love the 183's pixel size and FoV. But what might tempt me over to the 1600MM? Looks like the 2600 would be WAY wider, so I don't want to go that route.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics