•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron / Vixen C100 User manual or collimation instructions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cambutton

cambutton

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tacoma Washington

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:03 PM

Hello Cloudy Nights.

I ordered a cheshire eyepiece to check the collimation on my refractor.

I have no idea how to adjust the objective.

Would someone post a link to the user manual or good collimation instructions for this awesome refractor from the 80s?

Thank you for your help.

Cam

• mfoose likes this

#2 mfoose

mfoose

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:59 PM

Hello Cloudy Nights.

I ordered a cheshire eyepiece to check the collimation on my refractor.

I have no idea how to adjust the objective.

Would someone post a link to the user manual or good collimation instructions for this awesome refractor from the 80s?

Thank you for your help.

Cam

Hey Cam,

I have one of these Vixen made 102mm f/9.8 achros. Some of these models have a collimatable front lens cell which makes collimation straight forward. Mine is one that does not have the collimatable lens cell. I have found two ways to collimate mine.

First is the 3 screws that hold the focuser in. If you loosen all of them the focuser has a little wiggle to it. While the screws are just slightly loose I grab the focuser and manually tilt it until I am collimated. The other way is to loosen the bolts in the focuser that apply pressure to the teflon pads and the focuser drawtube. I have found that tightening them back one at a time shifts collimation slightly. If you use trial and error you can slightly adjust the alignment, but more as a way of fine tuning. These ways are not ideal, but they do the job.

I do use different collimation tools though: a glatter laser collimator and a translucent collimation mask.

If you have the lens cell with collimation bolts then just use those. 

Below is a picture of my lens in its cell. No collimation bolts. The second picture is the collimation mask with glatter laser in operation.

Attached Thumbnails

• 121359810_3525404887537546_4370876018638500150_n-min.jpg
  • image_67184385-min.JPG

• cambutton likes this

#3 cambutton

cambutton

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tacoma Washington

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:11 PM

Thanks mfoose.

I have the adjustment screws on the cell.

I didn't think about the focuser screws, glad that you mentioned them.

That is a high speed mask. I may try something like translucent paper with a laser for the focuser.

Cam

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics