•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do you have solar imaging tips to share?

Astrophotography Solar Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LuntSolar

LuntSolar

Vendor (Lunt Solar Systems)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:21 AM

Hi all,

What are people using to image the sun these days?  We know of a few popular camera models and imaging software that many are using but we'd love to hear about your setup!  If you're so inclined to share some of your imaging secrets please comment with your scope, camera and software choice.  

Sunny Skies,

Lunt Solar Team 

#2 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:20 PM

I’ll give it a go :

Hardware: Lunt 60mm Tilt Tuned with Moonite Focuser and Pegasus focus cube, using ASI178MM and Skywatcher SolarQuest mount.

Software: Firecapture, Autostakkert 3!, IMPPG, and Photoshop.

Next steps: Stop using artificial flats and use the newly acquired solar flat panel I got recently!

Tips: Use the stacking option in Firecapture to smooth out changes in seeing (I stack 5 images per second) to help increase focusing accuracy. Also, you would be surprised how much the native image apps on Android and iOS help to tweak the final product that comes out of Photoshop.

And an image of our closest star with the above hardware and software - however the sharpness and clarity is affected by CN image compression algorithm, so be kind smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• E31A6208-3184-4B02-803B-643CCBB9AE2A.jpeg

• TorstenEdelmann, Doug Culbertson, Alterf and 4 others like this

#3 LuntSolar

LuntSolar

Vendor (Lunt Solar Systems)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:25 PM

Hello Nick, 

This is excellent, thank you for sharing your process.  Many of our new customers want to try imaging because they've seen photos like what you posted here.  I can see why someone would want to be able to produce images like yours.  I also know that it can take some time to nail down the process.  Any help in making this something within reach for new solar imagers is always welcome.  Thanks again Nick!

#4 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:38 AM

I have used the excellent tutorials of Malveaux and I am working on refining my workflow as I want to emulate the work of Alan Friedman.

However, I am happy to share my workflow and notes which change as time goes by, and I DO need to update my notes for recent changes to my workflow but as is, if they are of help to someone, I attach them.

Attached Files

• gozer and fiston like this

#5 fiston

fiston

Explorer 1

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:19 AM

I’ll give it a go :

Hardware: Lunt 60mm Tilt Tuned with Moonite Focuser and Pegasus focus cube, using ASI178MM and Skywatcher SolarQuest mount.

Software: Firecapture, Autostakkert 3!, IMPPG, and Photoshop.

Next steps: Stop using artificial flats and use the newly acquired solar flat panel I got recently!

Tips: Use the stacking option in Firecapture to smooth out changes in seeing (I stack 5 images per second) to help increase focusing accuracy. Also, you would be surprised how much the native image apps on Android and iOS help to tweak the final product that comes out of Photoshop.

And an image of our closest star with the above hardware and software - however the sharpness and clarity is affected by CN image compression algorithm, so be kind smile.gif

Do you mind sharing the model of solar flat panel that you are referring to?

Thanks

Fiston

#6 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Administrators

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:17 AM

Hi Fiston - this one. 

Yes, I could do the same with a rubber band and a cereal bag (partial to frosties cereal, but it’s the bag we are interested in!), but I prefer something more decent looking!

• fiston likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Solar, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics