•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron out of stock everywhere...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ctortolini

ctortolini

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:21 PM

There is a shortage on pretty much everything astro related these days... I have a 9.25 Edge on backorder since early January... Perhaps there is someone from Celestron around here to give us an idea when supplies will start going back to normal? (or what to expect)...

Thanks!

• teashea likes this

#2 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:40 PM

Unfortunately it’s not if we can look into a crystal ball or anything and predict the furture!? Because we cannot.there is a ration on all amateur Astronomy related items,and this topic is comming up now quite often almost daily infact.no one knows at the moment and I can imagine this is go to at least happen to most part of the year and at best things might go back to normal in the earlier part of 2022.

Edited by Supernova74, 07 April 2021 - 12:41 PM.

#3 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:46 PM

What does the selling retailer say?  Well, that's not a fair question because it really depends on (1) when the next boat arrives from China with astro gear aboard, and (2) is any of that astro gear allocated to your selling retailer.  The Celestron mother ship in the U.S. is pretty much in the same position.  Then there is the world wide shortage of microprocessors (shouldn't effect you if you ordered only the OTA).  There are probably other issues I have forgotten or of which I am unaware. 

Edited by Sandy Swede, 07 April 2021 - 12:47 PM.

#4 Stu Todd

Stu Todd

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern New Zealand

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:53 PM

There will be a swell of graphics cards, CPUs and telescopes when the Ever Given finally docks! grin.gif

• mgn and ShaulaB like this

#5 Joe1952

Joe1952

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 01:08 PM

I ordered a Celestron Evolution 8 HD with Starsense on October 9, 2020. My six-month anniversary is this week. I’m next on the list to receive one, if one magically arrives. That actually happened to the customer ahead of me about a month ago! Waiting until the end of the year really hurts my head. Patience is a virtue.
I’ve been collecting some accessories along the way, since they have also been in short supply.

#6 Joe1952

Joe1952

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 01:08 PM

I ordered a Celestron Evolution 8 HD with Starsense on October 9, 2020. My six-month anniversary is this week. I’m next on the list to receive one, if one magically arrives. That actually happened to the customer ahead of me about a month ago! Waiting until the end of the year really hurts my head. Patience is a virtue.
I’ve been collecting some accessories along the way, since they have also been in short supply.

#7 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 April 2021 - 01:21 PM

Ha! Ha! I've got a Telescope and you don't! Na-Na-poo-poo! Neener-neener!....for God's sake don't listen to him...He has gone insane because he hasn't observed in months...forgive him for he is Coo-coo for Co-co-puffs!

Seriously though! I feel terrible for everyone out there who has been waiting and waiting and waiting. Believe it or not I was in the same boat (from China LOL!) back in the bad old Halley Days. I ordered my Meade 10-inch 2120 LX5 SCT Telescope in early Sept. 1987 and it finally arrived in the middle of April 1988 !!! I know and understand the frustration all you must be feeling. This difference being that there is a good chance that when you do take delivery that you  will have a quality product with good optics!

Such was not the case with my telescope. Sure, it looked great on the outside, beautifull actually and tracked flawlessly. But the optics? Does the term "canine" mean anything to you. Yes, the optics were the worst that I had and have ever seen! Jupiter may have been a Pita bread. Saturn showed thje rings a bit better than Galileos scopes and the great opposition of Mars in Oct. 1988 I could only enjoy in other observers telescopes. It might as well have been a round, red Christmas tree light.

I trully hope that the story has a happy ending for everyone waiting and anticipating! Please, please be patient if you can! And when your scope does arrive I hope it has the best optics you have ever enjoyed!

And if you feel the need to take your frustrations out on someone, just remember that I am not the maker of your particular telescope or the Captain of the Container ship or the creator of the Novel Corona / Covid 19 virus. I just work here!

Clear skies and keep looking up!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#8 Kaydubbed

Kaydubbed

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City, Missouri

Posted 07 April 2021 - 03:45 PM

I'm glad I had the foresight to get my EdgeHD 11 March of last year. There were rumors of Synta and other producers in China just shutting down without warning to vendors.

It's been a hard year for logistics and east asian production. Hold out a bit longer if you can, or start some other projects with existing gear.

#9 Joe1952

Joe1952

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:00 PM

I know I’m clearly not the only person waiting for a scope. No alternate gear at this time, so... I’ll just continue to be patient and observe vicariously through all of you on this forum. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to collect the accessories and learn all I can until that happy day arrives!

Clear Skies to all of you!

#10 Jarno

Jarno

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:11 AM

Ha! Ha! I've got a Telescope and you don't! Na-Na-poo-poo! Neener-neener!

Just one? I've got four. neener.gif Anyone interested in buying an Intes-Micro M706? grin.gif 

Kidding aside, everything "made in China" currently has long delivery times or is simply not available - and unfortunately that means almost everything. I just read that there might even be a toilet paper shortage after all because there aren't enough containers and ships to move the wood pulp to the factories. Imagine if there's a three month delivery time on toilet paper... Better start saving up those old newspapers, just in case - and watch out for paper cuts. lol.gif

Jarno

• Starsareus likes this

#11 Sandy Swede

Sandy Swede

Viking 1

• Loc: Delaware beaches

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:42 AM

Just one? I've got four. neener.gif Anyone interested in buying an Intes-Micro M706? grin.gif

Jarno

Sounds like you were kidding about selling your Intes.  If not, please PM me with your price!

Edited by Sandy Swede, 08 April 2021 - 06:42 AM.

#12 oldthor

oldthor

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:49 AM

Guess it's what we should expect when nothing is built anywhere but the far east. We have shortages on just about all electronic, furniture heck even toilet paper why would astronomy parts be any different. We are a society of buyers not makers

#13 mgn

mgn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:39 AM

Kidding aside, everything "made in China" currently has long delivery times or is simply not available - and unfortunately that means almost everything. I just read that there might even be a toilet paper shortage after all because there aren't enough containers and ships to move the wood pulp to the factories. Imagine if there's a three month delivery time on toilet paper... Better start saving up those old newspapers, just in case - and watch out for paper cuts. lol.gif

Jarno

and there was me going to sell my MN86 to fund a RASA 11v2 tongue2.gif needless to say I decided not to sell it, and just order a v2 anyway..and I have just discovered this thread...omg 

#14 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:47 AM

and there was me going to sell my MN86 to fund a RASA 11v2 tongue2.gif needless to say I decided not to sell it, and just order a v2 anyway..and I have just discovered this thread...omg 

Lol it be quicker to source the parts yourself and make it!? Um!? I’ve seen one of thease for sale recently intes!? Yeah Russian 8” mak

#15 Battlestamps

Battlestamps

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:27 AM

I heard directly from Celestron that they are out of the StarSense systems themselves until 2022. If your dealer doesn't already have access to it already you might be waiting for a long time.

#16 Supernova74

Supernova74

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:28 AM

As i mentioned in the other thread!?

thease are just toys at the end of the day and patience is a virtue,the night sky is not going anywhere not in all cloudy nights members ages combined.

#17 mgn

mgn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:41 AM

As i mentioned in the other thread!?

thease are just toys at the end of the day and patience is a virtue,the night sky is not going anywhere not in all cloudy nights members ages combined.

no, but I'm getting older and my wifey points are running out

• RossW likes this

#18 teashea

teashea

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

There is a shortage on pretty much everything astro related these days... I have a 9.25 Edge on backorder since early January... Perhaps there is someone from Celestron around here to give us an idea when supplies will start going back to normal? (or what to expect)...

Thanks!

I think that to a large measure even Celestron  probably does not know in most cases.  There are so many suppliers involved.  It is going to remain rough sledding.

#19 harbinjer

harbinjer

Viking 1

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:05 PM

Time to cut some glass people!  Maybe someone will invent an even better new type of telescope. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics