•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which EP's to get....?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fenton, MI

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:43 PM

Just ordered a Zeiss from our friend Asenov13 here on the forum.... and I'm debating which EP's to get.

I will have to use a barlow in my TV85 to reach focus, and I want to widest field I can still get.

I'm torn between three or four sets...

TV 40mm Plossl's

24mm Panoptic

19mm Panoptic

16mm Nagler

Using FOV calculators, it looks like the 40mm plossl and 24mm Panoptic cover the same field - but obviously the Panoptic is more zoomed and a larger "apparent" field.

Same thing with the 16mm Nagler / 19mm Panoptic...  

So - a few questions.

1) I find that with Naglers, I need to "look around" a bit to see everything... which is cool for single eye viewing - but I can imagine it probably wont lend itsself well to bino viewing - is this in deed a fact?  i.e. should I go with the narrower apparent FOV ep's?  I've noticed not may folks use Naglers in bino's.

2) All things being equal - the 40mm TV Plossls are the best value as I've already shelled out a tremendous amount of cash for the setup...  but is the narrow 43 degree FOV going to feel too limiting?

Finally - from what I've read, the field stops of all of these shouldn't be a problem with the Zeiss Bino's as they have the larger prism's...  correct?

#2 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:55 PM

I have a pair of 24 Pans but I don't like them - they have too much pincushion for my taste. Useful alternatives are the TV 32 Plossl and the Tak 30LE. I have a pair of the Taks - they're among my most used eyepieces.

The 40 Plossl is great if you have a very dark sky. It gives you a large exit pupil but the image scale can be a bit small for extended objects. I tend to limit 40 degree eyepieces to the moon and planets.

I have a pair of 16T5's - really fine eyepieces if you don't need too much eye relief.

Field stops - it depends on which model of Zeiss binoviewers you've bought. Some have relatively small apertures but the so-called Sharpest model should be fine. The Mk V - a derivative of the Zeiss Giants - has no issues at all. In truth, vignetting is only really visible on the moon or if you have a bright sky.

• Escher and Paul Morow like this

#3 MarMax

MarMax

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:56 PM

You should verify your IPD and confirm that the larger body EP's are comfortable for you before buying. I'd recommend a 32mm plossl over the 40mm. Binoviewing with too much eye relief is almost worse than to little IMO.

I agree with you on the hunting around in the wide FOV EP's. Hunting is fine mono style but not desirable when binoviewing, again IMO.

I'd actually just start with a pair of Denk 32mm plossls for $200 and go from there.

• Deep13 and Escher like this

#4 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:18 PM

My APM 150mm binoculars came with a pair of APM 30mm UFF 2" eyepieces, having a 70 degree AFOV.  They are quite slender so my 63mm IPD works, (barely).  These eyepieces are magic in the big 150, and less expensive than others that are no better.  Highly recommended.

Rick

Edited by oldmanrick, 07 April 2021 - 06:22 PM.

#5 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2021 - 06:30 PM

You should verify your IPD and confirm that the larger body EP's are comfortable for you before buying. I'd recommend a 32mm plossl over the 40mm. Binoviewing with too much eye relief is almost worse than to little IMO.

I agree with you on the hunting around in the wide FOV EP's. Hunting is fine mono style but not desirable when binoviewing, again IMO.

I'd actually just start with a pair of Denk 32mm plossls for $200 and go from there.

IPD = 67mm.  Looks like 24mm pan's are 1.9mm diameter (48.26mm) so I should be ok if I go that route...  

These are the BV's I bought...

https://www.cloudyni...viewer-mirrors/

From his other posts here it looks like they have a 23mm internal field stop and show a bit of vignetting with 27mm FS EP's.

So - The 24mm Pan's and 32mm Plossl's both have 27mm field stops....

But the 19mm Pans have 21.3mm FS....

I also agree on the Eye relief - I tend to like the "goldilocks" amount.... long ER and I feel like I'm on my tiptoes... So again - the 19mm Pans seem to have the edge here with a little less ER..

Decisions decisions....

#6 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:25 AM

I have the Panoptic 24s as well as Tak LE 30, 18, 7.5 & 5 pairs.  Like 'Noisejammer', I find the Tak LE30 to be preferable to the Pano24.

The LE18 are also excellent.  I use the Pentax XF8.5, LE 7.5 & LE5 for higher powers  and for a bit of fun, the LOA 21mm 3D pair (makes for a few quizzical looks from seasoned viewers)

• Paul Morow likes this

#7 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:53 PM

... I want to widest field I can still get.

I'm torn ... 

16mm Nagler

1) I find that with Naglers, I need to "look around" a bit to see everything... which is cool for single eye viewing - but I can imagine it probably wont lend itsself well to bino viewing - is this in deed a fact?  i.e. should I go with the narrower apparent FOV ep's?  I've noticed not may folks use Naglers in bino's.

Nothing wrong with "looking around."  I do it all the time with Naglers in the collets.  It feels more natural for me to use Naglers than Plossls.  My eyes, head and neck are more relaxed when using Naglers. 

The 16mm Nagler Type 5?  I love the sharpness, contrast and clarity these gems deliver.  There is nothing better in that focal length that I can recommend.  Superb contrast on lunar Maria!      

• Escher likes this

#8 Escher

Escher

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:30 PM

Well - I took the plunge....  19mm pan's seem to tick the most boxes.  If not, I can always resell and get something else.

• Deep13 likes this

#9 betacygni

betacygni

Explorer 1

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:06 PM

Well - I took the plunge.... 19mm pan's seem to tick the most boxes. If not, I can always resell and get something else.

Trying and reselling is really the key. Even more so than mono eyepieces I think you will find differing opinions about preferred binoviewing eyepieces. Personal face structure, eyepiece upper barrel design, and ability to use wider AFOV seems to differ a lot. That said there are more popular options that tend to work well for many people, and that’s a very good place to start until you find what fits you the best.

Edited by betacygni, 08 April 2021 - 07:08 PM.

• Escher likes this

#10 Spikey131

Spikey131

Vanguard

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:13 PM

I have a pair of 24 Panoptics.  Like most humans, but unlike previous posters on this thread, I think they are simply fabulous in my binoviewers.  I guess I like pincushions.

I also have a pair of 19 Panoptics.  I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Rounding out my binoviewer collection is a pair of TV 32mm and 20mm Plossls that I use for H- alpha solar with a Quark and a pair of Baader Zooms.  At night, nothing beats the Panoptics.

#11 asenov13

asenov13

Vostok 1

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:19 AM

I would go with the 19mm Panoptic as the 24mm Pan have 27mm field stop which is too large for this bino.

I also love the 28mm RKE  in a bino.

Edited by asenov13, 10 April 2021 - 09:48 AM.

• Escher likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics