•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1.25” to 2” adapters for all eyepieces

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati Ohio

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:16 PM

Hello. I think I read that some people buy several 1.25” to 2” adapters and permanently connect them to their 1.25” eyepieces so that they can treat all of their eyepieces as 2” when putting them into the focuser.

I’m curious as to whether that is a good idea and if so, what type of adapters are generally used. Basic ones? Or advanced ones such as the Parallizer or Baader Clicklock?

#2 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:44 PM

That is what I have done.  Tonight I had 2”-1.25” adapters on the 17.5mm, 9mm, and 6.5mm Morpheus and used the 2” 32mm University Konig as my finder eyepiece.  The biggest advantage I find using this approach is the 2” caps are easier to find and handle in the dark with gloves on.  I buy the soft yellow 2” caps.  

My preferred adapter is the blue fireball twist-lock adapter available from Agena.  

• buddy ny and 25585 like this

#3 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:59 AM

Getting confusing.
First post asks for a 1.25" to 2" adaptor, reply talks of 2" to 1.25" adaptor.

From the initial description I am not sure what it wanted is "possible", says: "so that they can treat all of their eyepieces as 2” when putting them into the focuser. "

If the opening at the diagonal/focuser is 2" you cannot put a 1.25" eyepiece in  The hole is just bigger then the eyepiece so it is loose - very very loose.

If you have a 2" hole you need a 2" to "eyepiece size" (1.25") adaptor, that effectively reduces the hole from 2" to 1.25", however then you cannot then put a 2" eyepiece in as the hole is now for a 1.25" eyepiece so is too small, so you would have to remove the adaptor.

If you buy a 2" diagonal they have in my experience all come with a 2" to 1.25" adaptor, most eyepieces in general use are 1.25" so they more or less have to cater for them. So if the original question is kind of around the wrong way - easy to do - then you cn use a 2" to 1.25" adaptor and it is sort of common. But it only makes sense that when you swap eyepiece formats you have to swap the adaptor out or in.

• Jimceez likes this

#4 speedster

speedster

Astronomy Architecture and Engineering at McCathren Architects

• Vendors
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:18 AM

He's considering an adapter stuck on each 1.25 eyepiece.  I don't see any advantage to anything beyond the most basic adapter.  Mine seem to multiply in the parts drawer and I probably have half a dozen even though I don't use but one.  A want ad in the classifieds might turn up all you can use at a good price.  The only advantage I see is that you could fiddle with the EP location in the adapter and get all EPs parfocal.

• Sarkikos, 25585 and eblanken like this

#5 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:19 AM

It's a good idea if you have more than one or two 2" eyepieces you want to use, otherwise, more troubles than benefits, IMO. E.g. if you're planning to use a Barlow. I personally don't like bulky 2" Barlows, but the adapters prevent from using 1.25".  There could be some issues with filters as well. To prevent 2" filters from touching by 1.25" long barrels you'll need to add additional extension tube(s). Plus it depends on observing habits, how many 1.25" eyepieces you normally use. For example, in addition to 3-4 wide angle EPs I like to use small form factor minimal glass EPs like Orthos, RKEs etc. e.g. on binary stars or planets, so it make no sense to me adding significant weight to multiple small EPs. I liked this approach initially, even bought some Antares twist-lock adapters from Agena, but than decided to keep the things simple smile.gif. Plus, I prefer using Howie Glatter Parallizer for short focal length 1.25" EPs for high magnifications

Edited by CeleNoptic, 08 April 2021 - 02:24 AM.

#6 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:07 AM

I have done this a few times.  The problem that it creates for me is that the eyepiece racks on my Dob mounts only have one spot for a 2" eyepiece and three for 1.25" eyepieces.  

#7 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:14 AM

I have added 2" adapters to all my Delos series and by using different ones for the 14 and 17.3mm Delos, I managed to make them all parfocal as well......

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_7725.jpg

Edited by Kunama, 08 April 2021 - 04:18 AM.

• Allan Wade, STE411, wrvond and 5 others like this

#8 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:05 AM

I use the zero undercut smoothies, cheap & once on they stay on. Check whatever you buy has correct/any filter threads, so buying a couple first is sensible.

• thecelloronin likes this

#9 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:45 AM

What are zero undercut smoothies?

I’m looking at the Antares Twist-Lock and Blue Fireball. They are about the same price. Is one better than the other?

https://agenaastro.c...ce-adapter.html

https://agenaastro.c...ce-adapter.html

#10 Frenchy

Frenchy

Sputnik

• Loc: Battle Ground, WA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:59 AM

I’m looking at the Antares Twist-Lock and Blue Fireball. They are about the same price. Is one better than the other?

I used that blue fireball one on a couple delos and delite and is a great adapter for the price.

#11 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Vanguard

• Loc: The Emerald Coast

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:18 PM

I like the Blue Fireball twist-lock adapters [from Agena Astro]. I use them as a permanent solution for my XW's and Delos'. They are pretty good quality, and I like how they're solid black without any logos or brand stickers. They seem to become more as a part of the eyepiece than an addition.

However, if I am observing with smaller style 1.25" eyepieces, such as ortho's & plossls, I find a Baader 1.25-2" ClickLock to be more useful when swapping out eyepieces in the diagonal. 

Attached Thumbnails

• xw10.jpg
  • xw 10.jpg

• 25585 and DeWynter like this

#12 Gschnettler

Gschnettler

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:01 PM

Do the blue fireball adapters have enough clearance so that you can use 2” filters on them, such as with Pentax or Morpheus eyepieces?

#13 DeWynter

DeWynter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:24 PM

Do the blue fireball adapters have enough clearance so that you can use 2” filters on them, such as with Pentax or Morpheus eyepieces?

I've got GSO 1.25"-2" adapters on my Pentax XW's and I believe it's the same as the Blue Fireball one. No, it doesn't have enough clearance for 2" filters. I recently even posted a thread here on the issue: https://www.cloudyni...parfocal-rings/

If I put a filter most likely it would scratch the filter and the barrel of Pentax EP is exactly at the level of the barrel of the adapter. So either 14mm Baader Hyperion tuning ring is required or some really small (1mm) washer like rubber O-ring etc.

#14 ewave

ewave

Vanguard

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:45 PM

Getting confusing.

From the initial description I am not sure what it wanted is "possible", says: "so that they can treat all of their eyepieces as 2” when putting them into the focuser. "

If the opening at the diagonal/focuser is 2" you cannot put a 1.25" eyepiece in  The hole is just bigger then the eyepiece so it is loose - very very loose.

If you have a 2" hole you need a 2" to "eyepiece size" (1.25") adaptor, that effectively reduces the hole from 2" to 1.25", however then you cannot then put a 2" eyepiece in as the hole is now for a 1.25" eyepiece so is too small, so you would have to remove the adaptor.

If you buy a 2" diagonal they have in my experience all come with a 2" to 1.25" adaptor, most eyepieces in general use are 1.25" so they more or less have to cater for them. So if the original question is kind of around the wrong way - easy to do - then you cn use a 2" to 1.25" adaptor and it is sort of common. But it only makes sense that when you swap eyepiece formats you have to swap the adaptor out or in.

Not entirely true if Baader has something to say about that.

If you have the Baader 2" clicklock diagonal and all of your 1.25" eyepieces are exclusively Morpheous or Hyperions , well they just happen to perfectly slide in the 2" clicklock along with any 2" eyepiece you own.  No need for any other adapters.  But if you have other brands, yeah, then see the other solutions mentioned above.

• Kunama likes this

#15 PJBilotta

PJBilotta

Vostok 1

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:14 PM

I use the Antares adapter specifically because it is a little longer than the Blue Fireball/TPO adapter and does have enough depth to use a 2" filter.

One fantastic but pricier option is the Orion Self Centering Adapter. It has plenty of depth for filters and uses a bearing lock mechanism like the Baader, instead of a compression ring. https://www.telescop...pter/102820.uts
  • RedzoneMN likes this

#16 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:05 AM

If I'm viewing with my 10" Dob, I keep one 1.25"-2" adapter in the eyepiece rack on the mount.  When I use a 1.25" eyepiece, I put it in the adapter.  Not a big deal.  If I'm using several 1.25" eyepieces, I just keep the adapter in the focuser.   I have a lot of 1.25" eyepieces.  I'm not putting adapters on all of them.  

Also, sometimes I observe with a 1.25" diagonal in refractors or Cats.  If you're only viewing planets or double stars, you don't need a 2" diagonal.  Having to remove 1.25"-2" adapters from a series of 1.25" eyepieces would be a PITA.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 09 April 2021 - 08:19 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, CeleNoptic and rowdy388 like this

#17 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:11 AM

Getting confusing.

Same thing, depending on which direction you're coming from:  the eyepiece or the focuser.  shrug.gif

I've seen the terms used interchangeably.  Not confusing, as long as you know the context.

On the other hand, I know there are adapters which allow you to use 1.25" eyepieces in a 0.965" focuser.  I have a couple. 

Maybe there are also ones which allow 2" eyepieces to be used in a 1.25" focuser?  Yep, here you go:  https://www.amazon.c...N6Q9Q8ETYX8MP1R  They call it a 1.25" to 2" eyepiece adapter.  Yes, confusing unless you know the context.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 09 April 2021 - 08:15 AM.

• Jon Isaacs and eblanken like this

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:37 AM

If I'm viewing with my 10" Dob, I keep one 1.25"-2" adapter in the eyepiece rack on the mount.  When I use a 1.25" eyepiece, I put it in the adapter.  Not a big deal.  If I'm using several 1.25" eyepieces, I just keep the adapter in the focuser.   I have a lot of 1.25" eyepieces.  I'm not putting adapters on all of them.  

Also, sometimes I observe with a 1.25" diagonal in refractors or Cats.  If you're only viewing planets or double stars, you don't need a 2" diagonal.  Having to remove 1.25"-2" adapters from a series of 1.25" eyepieces would be a PITA.

Mike

:waytogo:

I have barrel extenders for the 13 mm, 10 mm and 8 mm Ethos eyepieces. They're already big and bulky and the barrel extenders allows them to be parfocal with the 21 mm Ethos and 31 mm Nagler.  It makes a nice set for deep sky..

But with my 1.25 inch eyepieces, they're smaller and more compact. The added adapter would significantly increase their bulk and weight, they'd be less handy, there wouldn't be room for them in the racks and they'd no longer fit in their slots in the case.  

Many nights I'll go with just one two inch for low power wide field and the rest are 1.25 inch..  swapping the adapter in and out is no big deal.

Jon

• esd726, Sarkikos and CeleNoptic like this

#19 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Ranger 4

• Loc: West of the Twin Cities

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:24 PM

waytogo.gif

I have barrel extenders for the 13 mm, 10 mm and 8 mm Ethos eyepieces. They're already big and bulky and the barrel extenders allows them to be parfocal with the 21 mm Ethos and 31 mm Nagler.  It makes a nice set for deep sky..

But with my 1.25 inch eyepieces, they're smaller and more compact. The added adapter would significantly increase their bulk and weight, they'd be less handy, there wouldn't be room for them in the racks and they'd no longer fit in their slots in the case.  

Many nights I'll go with just one two inch for low power wide field and the rest are 1.25 inch..  swapping the adapter in and out is no big deal.

Jon

Are these 2 inch barrel extenders and did you custom size them to make them par-focal?

Edited by RedzoneMN, 09 April 2021 - 12:24 PM.

#20 rowdy388

rowdy388

Skylab

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:57 PM

I have done this a few times.  The problem that it creates for me is that the eyepiece racks on my Dob mounts only have one spot for a 2" eyepiece and three for 1.25" eyepieces.  

I have two eyepiece racks on my 12.5". One has 5 spaces and the other 4 spaces for 2" eyepieces with no 1.25" holes. I put adapters in three of those holes

(a Glatter Paralizer is most used) for use with 1.25" eyepieces. That solved my problem of not having enough 2" spaces. Ryan from New Moon custom made

the 5 hole rack for me. 

#21 buddy ny

buddy ny

Viking 1

• Loc: USA N.Carolina8

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:31 AM

I have both the Baader Clicklock & a few Blue Fireballs from Agena
Other than the nice build of the Badder, I found no difference in performance. Both are strong

B

#22 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:21 AM

Are these 2 inch barrel extenders and did you custom size them to make them par-focal?

They're TeleVue Barrel Extenders. They make the 13 mm and 10 mm more or less Parfocal with the 21 mm, at least for use in the Paracorr 2. The 8 mm requires a Parfocalizing ring. 

https://agenaastro.c...r-ebx-2120.html

Jon

#23 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:45 AM

I fitted the Blue Fireball adaptors permanently to my Delos. I like the addition a lot. 

1.jpg

• STE411 likes this

#24 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:47 AM

The newer Blue Fireball adaptors are slightly longer and have plenty of room to attach filters without the bottom of the eyepiece hitting the filter.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics