•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3 Binocular-Bright Nova's in the Morning Sky!

Binoculars Charts DSO Observing Report
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SNH

SNH

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:10 AM

Thanks again to the AAVSO for their Alert Notice 739, I was able to go out this morning and observe - incredibly - a third nova in binoculars! Designated V6595 Sgr, it is the second one discovered in Sagittarius in the last few weeks and easily outshines the other one (V6594 Sgr). Heck, it's only second to V1405 Cas in brightness! With my 8x56 binoculars, I was able to see all three of them within a minute -- a feat I've never done before.

I believe it was @j.gardavsky who was the first person to bring to my attention the red color of V1405 Cas in his post Nova V1405 Cas, and farewell to the winter nebulae before Easter Holidays. With 59x in my 130mm reflector, I found that it did indeed look orange.

Capture.JPG

Map from Micheal Vlasov's excellent and free printable Deep Sky Hunter Star Atlas.

With the Moon gone from the morning sky, I hope everyone gets up a little earlier than usual to catch all three novas. And remember, four novas equal one supernova! wink.gif

Scott

• Dave Mitsky, Kimbo_2112, therealdmt and 6 others like this

#2 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:34 AM

How bright is this new one.... come in 3’s like buses!
Thanks for the heads-up, always good to catch temporary sights!

PEter

#3 SNH

SNH

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:51 AM

It was around +8.2, but strangely V1405 Cas seemed much brighter...though the AAVSO reports don't indicate that.

Scott

#4 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Vanguard

• Loc: Germany

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:06 AM

Hello Scott,

this is a super achievement of yours, congratulations!

The V1405 Cas nova has revealed its red color during my dark adaptation, thanks to the mesopic vision.

To the end of the observing session, the dark adated scotopic vision has shown much less color contrast, as you describe it.

The reference star has been the nearby C9 Carbon in OSS 254.

Thank you for sharing your report,

JG

#5 PEterW

PEterW

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:31 AM

You need to be able to see stars quite a bit fainter scotopically to get to see colour in the brighter ones, which binoculars were you using? I guess practice is also required, I know a chap who said he’d trained himself to see the colour of stars, didn’t say what he did.

Peter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Binoculars, Charts, DSO, Observing Report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics