•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

celestron c8 edge hd focuser options

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iwols

iwols

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: doncaster uk

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:12 AM

hi all just looking at turning my c8 into an imaging set up,hopefully i can use my set up of my ts optics rig ie 414ex ,rotator,oag,filter wheel,but apart from the moonlite (which is well out of my league at the minute) what electronic focusers do i have option of,any advice really appreciated cheers

#2 Feccy

Feccy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Aberdeenshire

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:38 AM

I just fitted the ZWO EAF to my C8 (not edge) and despite absolutely ZERO fitting instructions it's working fine

Link below to the YouTube video that explains the installation - a life saver

https://youtu.be/IJErn8xQxS4

It seems to be one of the cheapest options out there. The (non) optional fitting bracket says the Edge is compatible

• iwols likes this

#3 iwols

iwols

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: doncaster uk

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:57 AM

I just fitted the ZWO EAF to my C8 (not edge) and despite absolutely ZERO fitting instructions it's working fine

Link below to the YouTube video that explains the installation - a life saver

https://youtu.be/IJErn8xQxS4

It seems to be one of the cheapest options out there. The (non) optional fitting bracket says the Edge is compatible

great shout feccy,does the bracket come with it cheers

#4 hornjs

hornjs

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:01 AM

great shout feccy,does the bracket come with it cheers

I ordered the bracket separately for mine (Agena I think).  Followed the video just as above and it was easy peasy, up and running in 5 minutes.  

• iwols likes this

#5 Feccy

Feccy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Aberdeenshire

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:24 AM

The bracket is a separate order - as a side note - the allen key/wrench size for the 3 screws that replace the 3 original screws holding the original focuser ring on to the OTA are a weird size - I'm guessing imperial - you get 2 allen keys (metric) with the EAF but neither fit - luckily I own an American made guitar and had one that fits for that otherwise I would have been stuck. I also didn't consider my DSLR - I am now restricted to camera angle but that's not a big deal. Also, to balance on the DEC axis I am at the limit of my OTA dovetail - but again, got away with it - see pics below

As a side note - I ordered the old model EAF but received the new version (no power supply required) so that's a bonus!!

Clear skies tonight so hopefully 1st light for the focuser, but I have been using it in the house in daytime and have to say it's a great piece of kit

5CF40C4E A7C2 4E74 82DB 5E7F7CB55F48

C7FB2F4E 8FA6 49B4 9C5D 4E088B87DFC9

• iwols likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics