•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SW Evostar ed80 & TS PHOTOLINE 80 mm Doublet Apo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 the apostol

the apostol

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:19 AM

Hi all!

I have SW ed80 as my only scope. I am 100% visual observer . The only downfall is that its quite bulky for the aperture, and sometimes I play with the idea of more portable scope (dont have a car).

What do you guys think about TS photoline f7 ed80? 

https://www.apm-tele...on-focuser.html

Do you happen to have experience with both, or with comparable instruments? How they compare optically and any opinions about their usability differences?

Thank you!

#2 sg6

sg6

Voyager 1

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:23 AM

Well I would say the difference is not worth it.

Also APM have the data slightly wrong - an f/7 80mm scope was the last time I knew 560mm focal length, APM use some mathematics where 80*7 = 540, whereas I learnt the 80*7 = 560.

So you save (I hope) 40mm in potential length. Doesn't seem worth it.

Usability again I guess identical except you may have to add a short extension to the focuser as the scope is intended for imaging and an eyepiece would have to sit a little further out.

Focuser sounds better.

#3 the apostol

the apostol

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:24 PM

thanks for the answer! actually the difference is also the dew cap, retractable on TS versus fixed on Sky Watcher.. This might make it a lot more portable? 

#4 mrsjeff

mrsjeff

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:30 PM

thanks for the answer! actually the difference is also the dew cap, retractable on TS versus fixed on Sky Watcher.. This might make it a lot more portable?

Yeah, there's about 4-4.5" of difference in length for traveling, which could be significant if you're talking about, say, air travel.

#5 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:32 PM

The R&P focuser on the TS will also be mechanically better than the Evostar focuser.  The optics should be excellent on both. 

• mrsjeff likes this

#6 the apostol

the apostol

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:04 AM

Thanks guys! By the way, is there any notable difference between the performance of f7 and f7.5 scopes? Especially, is the performance on planets similar?

I heard that faster scopes are not as good with planets..

Edited by the apostol, 09 April 2021 - 12:06 AM.

#7 mrsjeff

mrsjeff

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cincinnati, OH USA

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:10 PM

Thanks guys! By the way, is there any notable difference between the performance of f7 and f7.5 scopes? Especially, is the performance on planets similar?

I heard that faster scopes are not as good with planets..

I have owned neither, so I am only speaking hypothetically. But I would think you would need a pretty keen eye to distinguish between the two, optically.

You might want to see if you can find any info on people comparing the SW 80ED with the discontinued Stellarvue Access 80, which is basically identical to the TS Optics photoline scope. 

Mary

#8 kklei940

kklei940

Explorer 1

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:31 PM

I can relate to the bulk and weight of the Skywatcher 80ed. I had one last summer and didn't realize quite how big and heavy it was going to be for an 80mm scope. Granted it was optically great and solidly built, but I just wanted something smaller. I eventually sold it and now just use my ST-80. Even with a 2" focuser it's much smaller and lighter on my smaller photo tripod and M1 mount.

I see the TS is a little shorter and 5 pounds lighter. That is definitely a good thing! Not sure how it is optically though.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics