•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Desiccant for Outside Scopes on Piers w/ Covers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zedron

zedron

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:38 AM

Its starting to get humid here in FL and am going to need to add a desiccant to my setup. I put a pier in and use a TeleGizmos 365 cover. Is there a specific one anyone recommends? Rechargeable would be preferred but not required if it doesnt work. Just whatever keeps my equip safe.

I may also need to take everything inside once the heat starts rolling in as it will be well into the hundreds under that cover. Does anyone have any recommendation on how/what to do to keep it cool and keep the moisture out from the cover? I would prefer to not have to take everything down because putting the pier in and leaving everything outside and all setup has been the best thing ever. I have got more imaging time in the last 8 months then the previous 5 years.

I currently run an extension cord but plan to add hard wired power to the pier this year sometime when I get a chance so I can have something and leave it plugged in.

Thanks,

Will

Edited by zedron, 08 April 2021 - 08:40 AM.

#2 lee14

lee14

Apollo

• Loc: CNY

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:01 AM

I used a canister type desiccant for many years in an observatory that was rechargeable by heating in the oven. For maximum effectiveness it was sealed with the scope in a large heavy duty trash bag. Seal the scope and canister with a bag, and still use the other cover to keep the heat at bay. These are still available here:   

https://www.dehumidi...t-dehumidifiers

Lee

Edited by lee14, 08 April 2021 - 09:05 AM.

• zedron likes this

#3 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:11 AM

Hi

A few ideas Will that I’ve learned about in preparing to set up a permanent pier outside:

- in combination with some pretty hefty desiccant bags you’ll change every week or so, place a thick towel or two on top of the scope to keep the cover from touching and condensing on the scope. You might also want to invest $50 in an outside model of the wifi Sensor Push temperature, humidity and ‘dew point’ monitor. It’s about 1.5”x1.5”x.75”. 

- build a simple, small, roofed enclosure on rollers with one side hinged to swing open and allow you to roll it away from the scope for use. There should be louvered openings on two opposite sides ( not the swing away side) to allow air to flow through and keep condensation from happening. Probably the desiccant makes sense for the summer. This gives a bit more security to the scope than the cover does if that’s important.

- leave only the mount set up and aligned under a simple cover and bring the OTA inside. That eliminates risk to the OTA and saves part of the setup time. 

You might check out the video by Cluiv the lazy Geek and how he uses a cover successfully in Tokyo - arguably more humid than Florida.

https://youtu.be/Gk9I6yfZ0KU

good luck
Gary

• bobzeq25 and zedron like this

#4 zedron

zedron

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:47 AM

Hi

A few ideas Will that I’ve learned about in preparing to set up a permanent pier outside:

- in combination with some pretty hefty desiccant bags you’ll change every week or so, place a thick towel or two on top of the scope to keep the cover from touching and condensing on the scope. You might also want to invest $50 in an outside model of the wifi Sensor Push temperature, humidity and ‘dew point’ monitor. It’s about 1.5”x1.5”x.75”. 

- build a simple, small, roofed enclosure on rollers with one side hinged to swing open and allow you to roll it away from the scope for use. There should be louvered openings on two opposite sides ( not the swing away side) to allow air to flow through and keep condensation from happening. Probably the desiccant makes sense for the summer. This gives a bit more security to the scope than the cover does if that’s important.

- leave only the mount set up and aligned under a simple cover and bring the OTA inside. That eliminates risk to the OTA and saves part of the setup time. 

You might check out the video by Cluiv the lazy Geek and how he uses a cover successfully in Tokyo - arguably more humid than Florida.

https://youtu.be/Gk9I6yfZ0KU

good luck
Gary

Thanks Gary.

Where I am at and Tokyo are pretty much the same in July/August in regards to "muggyness". Luckily for them those two months are all they get, whereas here its like that 6 months of the year then "tolerable" the rest. Ill take the wetness over the dry air any day because if I go where it is somewhat dry my nose bleeds, chap lips, and my skins gets all ashy, lol. Ive visited Japan in the Summer once because it was cheaper (guessing most tourists dont like the Summers there) but it felt like home to me, ha.

I see a bunch of sensors but this one seems to be the one with the features you mentioned. Do you have any experience with it?

https://www.sensorpu...products/p/ht-w

I saw some plans for a roof type design but I cant remember where I saw them..... This was something I was planning on eventually doing but with my schedule who knows when I would be able to get it to. It took me 4+ years to put my pier in.

#5 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:55 AM

That is the little guy I was referring to. It’s a great app and the device seems durable and well made. The 2 slightly more pricy outdoor versions are US made while the base unit may be Asian. I’ve had mine 4 months and it’s great for checking temp, humidity and dew point.

There’s also something called vpd that relates to plant watering. I think this can be finagled to give an alert if the dew point approaches the outside temp. I’m experimenting to find out if that works. You can always check it manually but an alert might be nice.

#6 zedron

zedron

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:02 PM

That is the little guy I was referring to. It’s a great app and the device seems durable and well made. The 2 slightly more pricy outdoor versions are US made while the base unit may be Asian. I’ve had mine 4 months and it’s great for checking temp, humidity and dew point.

There’s also something called vpd that relates to plant watering. I think this can be finagled to give an alert if the dew point approaches the outside temp. I’m experimenting to find out if that works. You can always check it manually but an alert might be nice.

Awesome. Ill order it. Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics