•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Disassembling/re lubrication Celestron CGE PRO - help needed

Mount Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Sweron

Sweron

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:44 AM

Hi,

I'm a happy owner of a CGE Pro mount since half a year. I'm the second owner of the mount, but it was barely used by the previous owner. 

The mount behaves and tracks very good, but during some of the cold nights I have become a bit worried. Even if tracking has been good, I get a little worried about the stress on the motor, as the rotation of the RA axis becomes super stiff in the cold. As soon as the temperature approaches 0 degree Celsius, the lubrication seems to stiffen up. 

I have started to think about taking the mount apart and re-lubricate with something that keeps soft in the cold, as I do not want the motor to break up (as they are no longer available for sale!).

So my question, is there someone that has pictures or advises on the disassembling of these mounts? I have searched the Internet but is not able to find any pictures or videos showing this being done on this specific mount. Or should I stop worrying about the motor? Perhaps they can take a lot of stress without taking harm?

Any input is appreciated. smile.gif

Clear skies everybody!

//Ronnie, Sweden

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics