•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recorded PPEC to EQ6R-Pro; How to get rid of Sidereal + PEC?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Western NC mountains

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:22 AM

It seems to be the simplest things that trip me up!  So, I ran a 7-cycle PEC curve in EQMOD and recorded it to the mount, then enabled PPEC in the Dev area.  Three flashing lights, check.  I also disabled "Auto Apply PEC" in the PEC Setup area.

I still have only "Sidereal + PEC" available to me under Tracking, and I know I'm now supposed to just be running Sidereal-only with PPEC in place on the mount.  How?

My only options in EQASCOM for tracking are Stop, Sidereal + PEC, Lunar, Solar, Custom.  

Sidebar... 3 flashing lights from the mount now, in perpetuity?  Really?  Guess I need to cut myself a little square of electrical tape....

*** Adding... yes, the pec txt file. I considered deleting that, but when I went to exactly the directory location indicated by EQMOD... no such file to be seen.

Edited by Tim0116, 08 April 2021 - 10:26 AM.

#2 Eye stein

Eye stein

Explorer 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:37 AM

In my opinion the pec instruction is not very well  written . After 6-7 cycles I don't know how to get it to work...I have tried everything and have given up on that.(I did have it working  a couple years ago but never good.) 

I use PHD2 and after careful polar alignment get very nice tracking and flat line .Much better.!

Good luck

JL

• Tim0116 likes this

#3 KTAZ

KTAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:38 AM

Currently I run sidereal+PEC using a modified PEC file through PecPrep. I don't really see any advantage to the PPEC correction residing in the mount since I always use a laptop.

PPEC is located on the mount, therefore EQMOD knows nothing about it. I would recommend that you do a baseline of your PEC using PHD2 guiding assistant or another program to record your curve. Run your PPEC training then record again. If you see the improvement then PPEC should be running.

I would not expect a "selection" in EQMOD since it has no further interface to the mount loaded curve once it is uploaded. I could be wrong, so hopefully someone else can confirm.

Edited by KTAZ, 08 April 2021 - 10:40 AM.

• Tim0116 likes this

#4 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:44 AM

I'm reacting to the below statement from CN user AhBok who kicked off a thread a few years ago about PPEC on the mount, after someone else said "Just remember to clear the PEC curve out of EQMOD, or EQMOD AND the mount's motor controller will both be trying to apply the PEC curve at the same time."

"Yes, or do as I do and set EQASCOM to Sidereal tracking and the select Enable PPEC in the Development area. Either will prevent the two curves from “fighting”.

#5 KTAZ

KTAZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:49 AM

Well, I don't have access to EQMOD at the moment. But if you only have sidereal+PEC then the file that EQMOD loads at startup needs to be cleared. If you cannot see the file in the directory, change the default directory to someplace else so no file is available.
  • RossW likes this

#6 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:55 AM

Well, I don't have access to EQMOD at the moment. But if you only have sidereal+PEC then the file that EQMOD loads at startup needs to be cleared. If you cannot see the file in the directory, change the default directory to someplace else so no file is available.

Thanks.  Agree that's the most sure-fire way to solve the issue.  Will have to do a deep-dive when I get back to that imaging laptop.

#7 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:48 AM

Searched the entire PC for any file with a .txt extension, or anything named pec.txt.  Nothing whatsoever.

Went back into the PEC setup area and found a little X button staring me in the face-- this removes the curve.  Yes, I am an idiot.  Now the tracking mode reads simply Sidereal again.

Sorry to eat up the bandwidth here... carry on wink.gif

• KTAZ likes this

#8 Between17

Between17

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Here on the wet coast of Canada

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:40 AM

I think you select the red X to switch back to Sidereal only. Select the red dot to go back to Sidereal + PEC.

• Tim0116 likes this

#9 Tim0116

Tim0116

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:18 AM

I think you select the red X to switch back to Sidereal only. Select the red dot to go back to Sidereal + PEC.

I believe you're right!  Appreciate it. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics