•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question for Servo-Cat Users.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:27 AM

I'm planning to use my new (Sept '21) 20-inch dob to measure visual binary stars.  To establish an E-W line to measure the Position angle of the pair involves letting the pair drift across the field with the drive off just before turning the drive back on to take the video for stacking.

Question:  Is there an easy way to turn the drive off and on again using the hand paddle?

that's it.

Thanks,

Dave

#2 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Cosmos

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:39 AM

I'm not certain, but BSTOP (press any 3 buttons) initiates an emergency stop from slew.

(Edit: I just read one of the ServoCAT manuals I have and it appears that pressing any 3 of the 4 direction buttons will stop both drive motors. To return to the alt/az "driven" state, push any one of the direction buttons.)

Edited by Vic Menard, 08 April 2021 - 11:10 AM.

#3 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:52 AM

I'm not saying there isn't. But I haven't found it in 15 years of use. The only way I know to stop the drive is disengaging the servocat or turning either the SCat computer or DSCs off. It's hard to turn those right back on obviously.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone knows how and answers here.

#4 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:54 AM

The three button technique should also work while it is tracking?  Hope so...

thanks,

Dave

#5 City Kid

City Kid

Soyuz

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:00 AM

You can always just disengage the clutches once you have the target centered.

#6 a__l

a__l

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:35 PM

You can always just disengage the clutches once you have the target centered.

The question is how easy it is for your telescope to slide along the axes. This can be a problem at high magnifications.

I'm not sure if the three-button emergency stop is stopped by star tracking. Never tested it.

It is possible to turn off the power to the ServoCat if you are using a separate cigarette socket (on the battery).
In this case, the DSC runs on its own lithium battery.

Attached Thumbnails

• Пит_кабель.JPG

Edited by a__l, 08 April 2021 - 07:51 PM.

#7 mccarthymark

mccarthymark

Mariner 2

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:50 PM

SkyTools has a "disable tracking" command (in the Real Time tab, telescope control) -- I use it all the time at high power to stop my ServoCAT tracking (with double stars in the field at high power) to estimate the position angle by drift.  It's great because there's no shake to the scope at all -- it just stops.  Then when I'm ready I just click "engage tracking" on the laptop and it starts up again.

Probably other programs which can control telescopes have the same type of command.

#8 a__l

a__l

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:11 PM

ServoCat almost always freezes (once or twice a night). Therefore, a connector is required. I use it without any problem.

There is no such button when operating from the standard remote control (stopped by star tracking).

#9 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:29 PM

OK, from the folks at Servo Cat:  

"Yes! From the HC just hit 3 buttons and you'll turn off tracking, it will indicate this on the HC by 2 blinking red lights... to turn it back on you hit one of the buttons (yellow motion buttons) a couple times and it will return to tracking. The lights on the HC will go back to normal.

its intended both as a semi-emergency stop but also as a means to turn off the motors if say you are walking away from the scope and don't want it tracking."

I believe this is the answer to my questions.  Press 3 buttons.  Tracking stops.  Press yellow button, tracking resumes. 

Ta Daaaaa!

I don't suppose it would be possible for one of you to try this out on my behalf?

Dave

#10 a__l

a__l

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:15 PM

There are different versions of the ServoCat software. Perhaps this is the case. I have not updated this. I bought it many years ago (7-8?). Ask Gary a question.

Edited by a__l, 08 April 2021 - 10:16 PM.

#11 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:10 AM

I don't suppose it would be possible for one of you to try this out on my behalf?

I have done this. Many times, typically when forgetting to reposition my ladder and realizing the it lies between the scope and my next target. As fatigue sets in, these things happen.

I don't know if I hit three buttons or all of them - I just mash down on the hand pad!

It works. Great feature.

You can as mentioned alternatively disengage the clutches and go Old School.

As long as you don't power down down your unit, the DSC's know where the scope is at when you are ready to resume normal operations.

#12 a__l

a__l

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:18 AM

DSC also knows where the telescope is when you turn off the power to the ServoCat.

In addition, nuances are possible depending on who controls the ServoCat. Nexus or Argo. These are just my guesses.

Edited by a__l, 09 April 2021 - 12:51 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics