•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comm ports and USB Hubs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Betelgeuse1958

Betelgeuse1958

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina USA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:25 AM

I did not know where to post this. I am not new, by any stretch of the imagination. Started Astronomy with my first telescope in the late 60's. But, I know some very knowledgeable and helpful people frequent this forum.

Here is my issue: I want to start using NINA. Great program, and I want to take advantage of it. My set up is:

6" Newtonian Astrograph

Celestron AVX mount

MyFocuser Pro 2

ZWO 30mm Guide Scope/Toupcam Guide Camera

4GB/2GHz mini PC running Windows 10 64Bit

A Sky dew control

Canon T6 DSLR for main imaging

A 9 Port 40A Connector Power Splitter Distributor Source Strip

So, the power comes onto the scope to the splitter/distributor, and goes from there to all devices requiring it. Stepped down in amperage where needed. So, only one power cord is hanging from the scope.

The mini PC has only two USB ports, 1 USB 2 and one USB 3. I put the USB 3 to a powered USB 3 hub. I should be able to access everything on the PC (via AnyDesk) through that hub. BUT, I cannot access both the mount, through CPWI, and the focuser. I have tried all com ports available in the focuser, but no dice. I cannot find in CPWI where I can assign a particular com port. AND, even if I plug the mount into the PC through the UBS 2 port, and the rest through the hub, it still does not play well together.

When I was using Backyard EOS, it was not bad. I just controlled my mount from my laptop, and everything else through the onboard mini PC. Still no extra cables hanging from the scope, because the mount is controlled from the base, and not the business end with the RA and DEC motors.

I don't' know if that is enough info to go off of, but can someone see where I may be able to fix this? Maybe I have too many amps for the available power from the 12V 10A DC power box.....maybe I am missing a com port configuration in CPWI....maybe I just need to forget the idea of using NINA (but, it's SO nice)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Betelgeuse1958, 08 April 2021 - 10:36 PM.

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:38 AM

If you connect the devices individually do they all work?

If you connect them in pairs do any of the devices stop working?

If your operating system is Windows (you don't specify) can you use Windows device manager to see what ports and interrupts are being used? Remember for instance that com port 1 and 3 and 2 & 4 share the same interrupts- thats why a lot of devices choose ports that seem to be at silly high levels like com 33 & 35 as starter ports.

If you can't see settings in the GUI there may be ini files that can be used to change settings- back up first & use with care.

There are a number of USB utilities and com port tools available as freeware that will tell you what is connected to what. I suspect that you have an interrupt or IRQ clash somewhere in the configuration- your going to have to dig a bit to find out what the issue is and whether it can be corrected through manual configuration. Have you tried any vendor support?

I use an Intel NUC I3 computer and because this works pretty much like a desktop in a box the size of 2 cigarette packets it has no issues like the ones you are seeing- is there anything different about your mini PC that suggests it is different from a main stream PC?

I know this is frustrating- good luck with your testing.

Edited by pyrasanth, 08 April 2021 - 11:45 AM.

• Betelgeuse1958 likes this

#3 Betelgeuse1958

Betelgeuse1958

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:05 PM

If you connect the devices individually do they all work?

If you connect them in pairs do any of the devices stop working?

If your operating system is Windows (you don't specify) can you use Windows device manager to see what ports and interrupts are being used? Remember for instance that com port 1 and 3 and 2 & 4 share the same interrupts- thats why a lot of devices choose ports that seem to be at silly high levels like com 33 & 35 as starter ports.

If you can't see settings in the GUI there may be ini files that can be used to change settings- back up first & use with care.

There are a number of USB utilities and com port tools available as freeware that will tell you what is connected to what. I suspect that you have an interrupt or IRQ clash somewhere in the configuration- your going to have to dig a bit to find out what the issue is and whether it can be corrected through manual configuration. Have you tried any vendor support?

I use an Intel NUC I3 computer and because this works pretty much like a desktop in a box the size of 2 cigarette packets it has no issues like the ones you are seeing- is there anything different about your mini PC that suggests it is different from a main stream PC?

I know this is frustrating- good luck with your testing.

Thank you so much for your input. It is Windows 10 64Bit. It works from a Intel Atom Z8350. I assume, that's like a Raspberry Pie, or Pineapple Upside-down Cake, or whatever the kids are using these days :-) I have tried vender support, but unfortunately, that reaped little to no results...even from Celestron. Very disappointing. I'll dig a bit, and see what's what. After further looking, I think I am overtaxing the amperage of the 10A power supply. I don't know enough about electronics to know if that may have some impact on the problem at hand, but it's something I should fix anyway. Maybe a 40A supply to go to the 40A distributor. 

Again, thank you for the reply.

Edited by Betelgeuse1958, 08 April 2021 - 01:38 PM.

#4 Lucas.Maguire

Lucas.Maguire

Vostok 1

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:05 PM

Nina has a USB data Limit setting that can be changed in the camera settings in the equipment tab. 

Try increasing the limit. this may help.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#5 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:07 PM

If you need a very good PSU then the PowerWerx 30 amp supply is excellent but I doubt that you are pulling in excess of 10 amps even with a camera and dew strips.

#6 Betelgeuse1958

Betelgeuse1958

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:25 PM

Nina has a USB data Limit setting that can be changed in the camera settings in the equipment tab. 

Try increasing the limit. this may help.

LOL....OMG, seriously. It never occurred to me to look at NINA. Thank you. I'll check that out after work today. (Yes, I should be working right now)

• Lucas.Maguire likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics