•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Those of us who are getting older--questions on downsizing.

Observing Reflector Refractor SCT Maksutov Classic
  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#76 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted Today, 09:21 AM

If you are approaching retirement and your hobby is an important part of your life, why not retire to dark or darker skies somewhere which also offers something for your partner.......

Alan Whitman

--

After reading thru all of these posts - it seems to me that what 'senior backyard astronomers' need is - not smaller easier to use telescopes - it is easy access to dark sky at a place where it is possible to store one's telescopes just a short flat distance from the observing area. Take note you 50 year olds!  ;)

• wrvond likes this

#77 KI5CAW

KI5CAW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Mountains, New Mexico

Posted Today, 09:34 AM

I am fortunate enough to live in a home with skies dark enough to see 5th mag. stars (used to be 5.5, but light pollution keeps increasing). My 12 inch Dob lives outside full time, under a roll off shelter and with covers for the optics. It takes maybe 90 seconds to set it up for use, but it still only gets used on clear nights with no moon or screaming winds (which are common in New Mexico). Small scopes that can be carries outside and used under any conditions, get used more often, and binoculars most frequently of all!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observing, Reflector, Refractor, SCT, Maksutov, Classic

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics