•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AVX mount settings

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Angel baby

Angel baby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:50 PM

Hi I have an ASIAIR pro that keeps slewing the mount the wrong way, even though I have Polar aligned after setting the marks on the mount. The telescope page on the ASIAIR tells me the coordinates are from the mount, which are massively off. I have read and reread the relevant manual but no where can I see how or where I can reset them, anyone know and can advise me please. I set my coordinates within the ASIAIR and they are displayed correct.

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:59 PM

Did you do a mount alignment after you turned it on?

#3 Angel baby

Angel baby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the reply but not sure what you mean. Is there a way of adjusting the coordinates on the mount to the (mine) correct ones if so how?

#4 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the reply but not sure what you mean. Is there a way of adjusting the coordinates on the mount to the (mine) correct ones if so how?

When you turn the mount on, the hand controller asks for the time, date, location, etc. Afterwards is should ask you to do an alignment. This syncs the mount position to the actual positions of objects in the sky. There are five options -

• Two Star Align uses the entered time/location information and allows the user to select which two alignment stars the telescope will automatically slew to.

• One Star Align uses the same time/location information but only uses one star for alignment.

• Solar System Align will display a list of visible daytime objects (planets and the Moon) available to align the telescope.

• Quick-Align will ask you to input all the same information as you would for the Two Star Align procedure. However, instead of slewing to the alignment stars for centering and alignment, the telescope bypasses this step and simply models the sky based on the information given.

• Last Alignment restores your last saved star alignment and switch position. Last Alignment also serves as a good safeguard in case the telescope should lose power.

#5 Angel baby

Angel baby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

Hi thanks for your reply and being patient with a real dumbo. I noticed when I opened the telescope page on my ASIAIR pro that the mount coordinates were massively off, somewhere in California USA, so after some research I managed to input my coordinates, not tried it yet as it is raining but I may try indoors.

#6 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:07 PM

You can easily try a Quick Align indoors. See if you can properly control the mount.

#7 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:41 PM

Also, the avx has a real time clock, which you might wish to use. 

#8 Kring

Kring

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:26 PM

Couple tips.

1. Practice indoors (as mentioned), but after you practice, do a factory reset from the hand controller because indoor practice will ruin the mount alignment and it will be all wrong when you go outside.
  2. for practice and setup there is iOS app called “PS Align Pro” for $4, lets you use your phone to setup your mount indoors or during the day.
  3. you can’t connect to ASIair until after your mount is fully setup and polar aligned and working. “AVG Ready” should be on hand controller
  4. ASIair is not fully compatible with Celestron mounts, very finicky, there’s many issues and it will fail often so it might not be you that’s the problem
  5. Have lots of patience, I’m new to this and quite technically savy and it is not easy and nothing goes as planned. In hind-sight, the ASIair and astrophotography adds a TON of complexity, you are in for a very challenging year ahead, so have a boat load of patience or maybe think about simplifying by shelving the ASIair for a few months.

#9 Angel baby

Angel baby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:07 PM

Hello everyone, just been testing in the house after updating the firmware on the mount and handcontroller. I did a star Alignment and slewed to a star in the East and the mount seemed to go in the general direction so I’ll have to try it outside when conditions allow. With one thing or another going wrong my patience is very thin. The one other thing I have been trying to do is connect SkySafari plus but no matter what I do it won’t connect, must be a setting I have that is not correct, I have watched a few videos on the subject and notice they give different port numbers, where would I find the port number?

Edited by Angel baby, 10 April 2021 - 01:16 PM.

#10 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:21 AM

Link to the video please. I’d like to watch it. 

#11 Angel baby

Angel baby

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:01 AM

Hi Maritime, if you tap ASIAIR pro it should take you to various videos. The one I like best is by Peter Zelinka.

#12 Maritime

Maritime

Viking 1

Posted 12 April 2021 - 09:05 AM

Thanks-I had hoped for a link to one mentioning port numbers so I could try to help you. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics