•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SV M2C Mount System

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Virtus

Virtus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Coastal NC

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:43 PM

I purchased a Stellarvue M2c complete mount system from the classifieds and just received it. This is my first foray into decent mounts and this thing is SOLID! Pictures do not do it justice. The tripod alone weighs twice what my complete StarPro 90 (tripod, mount, and OTA) setup does! lol.gif

Can't wait to use this beast with my new C6 and Astro Devices Nexus II and encoders!

• Ken Sturrock, NC Startrekker and PirateMike like this

#2 Virtus

Virtus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:40 PM

One question. How necessary is the eyepiece tray/spreader?

#3 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:09 PM

I have a M2C mounted on an Oberwerk TR3, which I love. What tripod are you using? The mount pairs wonderfully with the Nexus II. I have a suction cup holder on the mount for an iPad running skysafari. I think you're going to be really pleased with the setup. Post a photo once you get things all set up. 

The eyepiece tray depends some on your tripod. I have a tray and find that I don't use it much. The reasons I might want a tray are to add rigidity to the tripod and to hold eyepieces. The TR3 is already rigid and the tray does not seem to make it more so. I find that I prefer using my R-sky observing vest for holding eyepieces more than the tray. You might elect to get a few sessions in before you decide if you want to order a tray. 

You can read up on the R-sky vest here if you're interested. https://www.cloudyni...t-hood-arrived/

#4 Virtus

Virtus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

I have a M2C mounted on an Oberwerk TR3, which I love. What tripod are you using? The mount pairs wonderfully with the Nexus II. I have a suction cup holder on the mount for an iPad running skysafari. I think you're going to be really pleased with the setup. Post a photo once you get things all set up.

The eyepiece tray depends some on your tripod. I have a tray and find that I don't use it much. The reasons I might want a tray are to add rigidity to the tripod and to hold eyepieces. The TR3 is already rigid and the tray does not seem to make it more so. I find that I prefer using my R-sky observing vest for holding eyepieces more than the tray. You might elect to get a few sessions in before you decide if you want to order a tray.

You can read up on the R-sky vest here if you're interested. https://www.cloudyni...t-hood-arrived/

Thanks for the response. I got the complete mount system which comes with a stainless tripod. I believe I read it's the same one Celestron uses for the CGEM mounts. It comes with the tray/spreader but it would be a bit of a pain to take on and off every time I moved it. I can carry it out easily with the scope attached and the legs closed. Would probably just leave it off if it's okay without. Seems like it would be but just wanted to check.

That's the exact setup I'm going for with an iPad mini and SkySafari. What mount do you use and where exactly do you attach the suction cup? I ordered a new inexpensive mount from Amazon that I think I can attach to the tripod but unsure how secure it will be.

Will definitely post some pictures. Serge called me yesterday to let me know my order shipped and should be here Monday or Tuesday.

#5 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the response. I got the complete mount system which comes with a stainless tripod. I believe I read it's the same one Celestron uses for the CGEM mounts. It comes with the tray/spreader but it would be a bit of a pain to take on and off every time I moved it. I can carry it out easily with the scope attached and the legs closed. Would probably just leave it off if it's okay without. Seems like it would be but just wanted to check.

That's the exact setup I'm going for with an iPad mini and SkySafari. What mount do you use and where exactly do you attach the suction cup? I ordered a new inexpensive mount from Amazon that I think I can attach to the tripod but unsure how secure it will be.

Will definitely post some pictures. Serge called me yesterday to let me know my order shipped and should be here Monday or Tuesday.

This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The suction cup is incredibly strong. I would never have anticipated how strong it is! I have trouble removing it when I want to. I'll take a picture of the whole setup and how I have the iPad mount configured when I get a chance. 

#6 Boomanbb

Boomanbb

Lift Off

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:32 PM

I have the same mount, the eyepiece tray isn’t necessary unless you are experiencing movement with high magnification. I also use a C6 but I don’t have encoders yet.

IMG 3300

Edited by Boomanbb, 08 April 2021 - 07:36 PM.

• DXT_Shooter and Virtus like this

#7 Virtus

Virtus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:50 PM

I have the same mount, the eyepiece tray isn’t necessary unless you are experiencing movement with high magnification. I also use a C6 but I don’t have encoders yet.

Awesome! That's what I assumed with the tray as solid as the tripod is.

How do you like the C6 on it? Any troubles tracking at higher mags or navigating without the encoders? My first order of business is to get rid of that terrible 6x30 finder scope and mount a red dot finder of some kind.

#8 Virtus

Virtus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:53 PM

This is the one I use: https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The suction cup is incredibly strong. I would never have anticipated how strong it is! I have trouble removing it when I want to. I'll take a picture of the whole setup and how I have the iPad mount configured when I get a chance.

Yes, please do. It was my understanding that the Nexus and encoder kit would take up the two open sides of the mount head so definitely interested where/how you're attaching.

I imagine it would be helpful for the iPad to rotate with the head instead of stationary on the tripod.

#9 Boomanbb

Boomanbb

Lift Off

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:01 PM

Awesome! That's what I assumed with the tray as solid as the tripod is.

How do you like the C6 on it? Any troubles tracking at higher mags or navigating without the encoders? My first order of business is to get rid of that terrible 6x30 finder scope and mount a red dot finder of some kind.

I just received mine from the classifieds a week before you. I took the head apart and cleaned the bearing surfaces and once balanced, it is quite smooth. Not had much chance for high mag yet. I plan on installing encoders at some point.

#10 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

I've used mine with a Nagler 3-6 zoom and enjoyed it so the mount is pretty rad in terms of smoothness. It does take some getting used to before I was able to control it that way but now that I've learned it's ways my goto just gathers dust. Aligning the Nexus is so much easier and I don't experience the random mysterious inaccurate slewing that always seem to come out of nowhere with goto. The M2C+Nexus II is just a match made in heaven. 

You'll see in the pics that the I attach the suction over the logo portion of the mount head which has worked well. It turns with the mount. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0246 (2).jpeg
  • IMG_0247 (2).jpeg
  • IMG_0248 (2).jpeg

• eros312, KJL and DXT_Shooter like this

#11 ken30809

ken30809

Mariner 2

• Loc: Midwest

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:28 PM

You can read up on the R-sky vest here if you're interested. https://www.cloudyni...t-hood-arrived/

I am thinking about pairing my M2C mount with the Oberwerk TR3. Will the tripod handle about 25 ibs payload? Just wondering. Would love to see a pic of your rig. Thanks.

Ken

#12 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:51 PM

I just saw your post :-) I just ordered one with the std 3/8" bolt

I absolutely love mine. I went with the TR3 as opposed to the SV Denali for a variety of reasons posted elsewhere and I'm really happy with the combo. Congrats!

• ken30809 likes this

#13 Virtus

Virtus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:00 PM

I've used mine with a Nagler 3-6 zoom and enjoyed it so the mount is pretty rad in terms of smoothness. It does take some getting used to before I was able to control it that way but now that I've learned it's ways my goto just gathers dust. Aligning the Nexus is so much easier and I don't experience the random mysterious inaccurate slewing that always seem to come out of nowhere with goto. The M2C+Nexus II is just a match made in heaven. 

You'll see in the pics that the I attach the suction over the logo portion of the mount head which has worked well. It turns with the mount. 

Thanks for the pictures; that's a cool setup! Where do you mount the Nexus?

• ken30809 likes this

#14 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

Posted 09 April 2021 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the pictures; that's a cool setup! Where do you mount the Nexus?

There is a small flat platform that comes with the suction cup iPad mount. You can attach it anywhere along the snake arm of the iPad mount. It's intended use is to balance the snake arm on a dashboard I think. I placed a piece of velcro on it and attach the Nexus that way. Once the encoder cable is plugged in all components move together so there is no stress on the cables. Let me know you want a pic.

#15 Virtus

Virtus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

There is a small flat platform that comes with the suction cup iPad mount. You can attach it anywhere along the snake arm of the iPad mount. It's intended use is to balance the snake arm on a dashboard I think. I placed a piece of velcro on it and attach the Nexus that way. Once the encoder cable is plugged in all components move together so there is no stress on the cables. Let me know you want a pic.

Makes sense and that's a really good idea! Just ordered one; thanks for the recommendation.

#16 Kutno

Kutno

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:39 PM

For me, it is very necessary.  It does add to the stability of the steel tripod and facilitates moving the whole mount, extension column and tripod around the deck during a viewing session.

#17 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:59 PM

I am thinking about pairing my M2C mount with the Oberwerk TR3. Will the tripod handle about 25 ibs payload? Just wondering. Would love to see a pic of your rig. Thanks.

Ken

The TR3 is rated to handle 40lbs. It's been nothing but solid as a rock. I would say the M2C is the weakest link in the setup and it's not weak at all! I have exceeded 25lbs and dance right around that weight anytime my 152mm is mounted. Once I got the hang of it the setup handles that weight nicely. If I mount my AT80ed it's a piece of cake. 

• ken30809 likes this

#18 Virtus

Virtus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:29 PM

The TR3 is rated to handle 40lbs. It's been nothing but solid as a rock. I would say the M2C is the weakest link in the setup and it's not weak at all! I have exceeded 25lbs and dance right around that weight anytime my 152mm is mounted. Once I got the hang of it the setup handles that weight nicely. If I mount my AT80ed it's a piece of cake.

Is vibration damping the primary advantage to wooden tripods?
  • ken30809 likes this

#19 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Mariner 2

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:18 AM

Eh, I've heard different explanations but I'm not sure. If memory serves there's a massive debate that gets WAY into the weeds of the molecular structure of different tripod materials somewhere on CN. lol.gif

• ken30809 likes this

#20 ken30809

ken30809

Mariner 2

• Loc: Midwest

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:11 PM

I like wooden ones because they're generally easier to manage IMHO. Especially for grab `n go equipment

#21 weis14

weis14

Ranger 4

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:15 PM

Maybe, but I've always thought the primary reason for wooden tripods was that they looked good!
  • ken30809 likes this

#22 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:44 PM

A properly designed hardwood tripod looks good, can be light weight, can handle very high payloads (200 lbs+), cheap to built but very expensive to buy and is ROCK SOLID.

My home built ASH tripod can easily handle 70+ lbs of my scope + counterweights + hand grenade eyepieces.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0315-a.png

• Kutno, ken30809 and DXT_Shooter like this

#23 photoracer18

photoracer18

Skylab

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:06 PM

It really makes the mount steadier to me.

• Kutno and ken30809 like this

#24 luxo II

luxo II

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:29 PM

Yes.

#25 luxo II

luxo II

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 13 April 2021 - 11:35 PM

Not the only advantage. Yes they damp vibrations better, but in addition for portable mounts the Berlebach UNI and Planet are also stiffer than the usual stainless steel tube tripods which are comparatively weaker in respect to vibrations in azimuth.

I’ve also had a Wild-Heerbrugge one specifically because it was tall - very tall - which was great with a refractor. None of the commercially available metal ones were anywhere near as tall.

Then there are the “survey” tripods, not pretty but they do the job quite well; many are wooden.

But Berlebach are a bit different:

- a wide range of head configurations to suit many mounts, and in some cases adapters so you can use the one tripod with different mounts, eg eq or altaz, grab & go vs an imaging rig, etc.

- many options - double clamps for extra rigidity, pointy tips, rubber tips, spreaders, accessory trays, clamps that grip a leg to support other gadgets (phone/iPad/laptop) etc that simply don’t exist for other tripods. Yes you can DIY, but the Berlebach stuff is beautifully made.

- parts for their tripods, sold separately; no other manufacturer does AFAIK.

And making use of the options and parts available, being wooden means you can customise these tripods in ways that aren’t possible with metal ones.

Wife was eyeing off my UNi8 with a view to putting a lamp on top.

Edited by luxo II, 14 April 2021 - 12:02 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics