•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Az motor issues with 4SE and momentary power glitches

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hanahan SC

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:55 PM

I've got an older Nexstar 4SE (circa 2011) that has over the past several months started to develop some issues with the az motor, specifically going in ccw direction.  After the mount is first switched on, moving the Az motor in CCW direction results in very strained and inconsistent movement, with movement almost coming to a halt.  Eventually, after 30 seconds or so, the motor will seem to "warm" up and will operate at full speed.  This is while it is plugged in using the Nexstar AC adapter, so I'm sure it's not a power issue.  Seems to only be at rate 9.  Movement in clockwise direction seems fine and so does Alt movement.  If you continue to press the button and slew, the motor will eventually kick into what seems to be normal rate 9 speed and work fine. 

The other night, while the motor was straining, there also seemed to be some momentary losses of power while slewing that resulted in the "verifying packages" message.  I'm not sure the two are related or not.  Seems like that message has been due to the AC input port being faulty but I'm wondering if it could be overloading something due to the straining motor.  I have never disassembled the 4SE mount.  Is it difficult to remove the azimuth motor and re-lube the gears?  Or should I just order a new az motor assembly?  Thanks!

#2 M11Mike

M11Mike

Apollo

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:26 PM

10 years old - sounds like it's time for a "lube" job to me.  Since it is working fine in ALT and "clock-wise" AZ - I think that rules out power issues. 

I'm not a tech - but from what I understand - replacing a motor is not beyond the average Joe.  May however just be the gears need to be cleaned and re-lubed if it's problematic / in only one direction.  ???   I'd try that first.

Maybe someone here on CN's who has done this can help???

Good luck.

M11Mike    

#3 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:03 PM

We had to replace the ALT motor on our 4SE. Here is a link for an AZ motor, if you need to replace it.

. https://www.highpoin...cBoC2dwQAvD_BwE

Edited by ShaulaB, 08 April 2021 - 03:04 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics