•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

This is not good.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:04 PM

Interesting and disturbing news bit. But not surprising:

https://www.yahoo.co...-163002560.html

Edited by DSOGabe, 08 April 2021 - 02:06 PM.

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:10 PM

The Kessler syndrome will take care of it.

https://en.wikipedia...tical-mass area.

Hopefully it will all burn up on early re-entry, or it'll be a cloud we'll never see or travel through. Unfortunately it's another case of human litter.

• Jim Waters and Starsareus like this

#3 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:23 PM

Yeah, but that's pretty much old news.

For disturbing, try this  https://www.dni.gov/...g6h5OeGJPVLXxPk

• bobzeq25 likes this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Cosmos

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:19 PM

Alas; Good Depressing News Article and very accruate forecast.

Amateur and professional astronomy will soon be only a memory of more innocent times. Now would be a good time to take a few last nostalgic looks at our favorite Deep Sky favorites... and then sell off the gear, before it goes the way of buggy whips. I guess astronomy will still be done from satellites like JWST and others that may still be able to escape Earth before the Space Junk becomes too much of an impermeable dense hazard. First the terrible Light Pollution (which Thomas Edison said would never happen) and now Space Junk (which Elon Musk says will never happen). Famous Last Words resurrected and the Earth's Population still in denial.

Here's my prescient artist's rendition of what an amateur astronomer's attempt at imagery will look like in a couple of decades.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 23 Average Future Deep Sky Images Satellites.jpg

• Dynan and Coronal Mass Affection like this

#5 Starsareus

Starsareus

Mariner 2

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:42 PM

Well, lets see! We ruined the dirt, then ocean, then the Air and then the our FOOD! So Whats left !! Yup, SPACE!  

• TOMDEY likes this

#6 LuscombeFlyer

LuscombeFlyer

Explorer 1

• Loc: Lakeland, FL

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:59 PM

Without swerving into a whole bunch of topics that have no place here on CN, I will simply say that I'm quite satisfied that I'm 60'ish rather than 20'ish. I really prefer the world I grew up in over the hot mess that my beloved grandchildren will have to endure crazy.gif

• leonard, mich_al, havasman and 1 other like this

#7 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:14 PM

And to our grandchildren, these will be 'The Good Ol' Days', just like they were for us. I think they'll be ok.

Edited by Dynan, 08 April 2021 - 11:48 PM.

#8 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:27 PM

Here's my prescient artist's rendition of what an amateur astronomer's attempt at imagery will look like in a couple of decades.    Tom

By then it will be a trendy art form and will be a program to process it of which some of the photos will fetch millions..tongue2.gif

#9 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

<snip>

post-226662-0-16489900-1617913098_thumb.

Honestly, using digital imaging with an adequate number of subs and kappa-sigma stacking, no satellite tracks would be present in the final image, the stacking algorithm would reject the pixels as outside the standard deviation specified in the setup configuration, and replace them with either the average or median value from the other subs depending on which software you use and its settings.

Edited by EJN, 08 April 2021 - 07:59 PM.

• Dynan likes this

#10 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:37 PM

Without swerving into a whole bunch of topics that have no place here on CN, I will simply say that I'm quite satisfied that I'm 60'ish rather than 20'ish. I really prefer the world I grew up in over the hot mess that my beloved grandchildren will have to endure crazy.gif

A though I've echoed many times.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics