•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

100Q/100SVQ Chromatic Aberration

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Poynting

Poynting

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:11 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a used TS-100Q scope. I had first light last night and noticed quite large bloating in my blue channel, using an ASI2600MC. Is this normal for such a scope? Any experiences appreciated, as I am kind of new to large refractors for imaging. It is a quadruplet with a supposed FPL-53 element.

gallery_207995_321_49607.jpg

#2 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Vanguard

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:35 PM

Yes, refractors and blue/UV don't go together well.  Refractive index - and thus also focus -  changes fast there.  So a UV cutoff filter is highly recommended, and best one with a higher blue cutoff.  I'd use something like an Astronomik L2 or L3 filter, as I don't have light pollution, maybe others can recommend specific LP filters with higher blue cutoff if that is an issue for you.

• Poynting likes this

#3 Poynting

Poynting

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:20 PM

Yes, refractors and blue/UV don't go together well.  Refractive index - and thus also focus -  changes fast there.  So a UV cutoff filter is highly recommended, and best one with a higher blue cutoff.  I'd use something like an Astronomik L2 or L3 filter, as I don't have light pollution, maybe others can recommend specific LP filters with higher blue cutoff if that is an issue for you.

Wow, I had no idea I would need one of those. I thought my ASI2600 had a sufficient filter on the window, but perhaps that is only effective for IR Cut.

#4 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Vanguard

• Loc: La Palma

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:35 PM

Wow, I had no idea I would need one of those. I thought my ASI2600 had a sufficient filter on the window, but perhaps that is only effective for IR Cut.

Well, there are people using reflectors that don't have that focus issue.  They wouldn't want to lose those valuable photons wink.gif

So it's (IMO) reasonable if the camera window has the widest range.

#5 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:49 PM

Are you sure these aren't blue stars with the center pixels saturated? Is the same thing observed on fainter stars?

#6 Poynting

Poynting

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:36 PM

Are you sure these aren't blue stars with the center pixels saturated? Is the same thing observed on fainter stars?

They seem to be blue stars, but in general the blue channel stars appear to be significantly larger than in the other channels, not just for brighter stars:

gallery_207995_8238_463611.gif

The above is from a 12x300" stack.

So in this I do see some stars that do not bloat in the blue channel. I guess my question is, should I expect my blue channel to be bloated compared to the others like what is shown? Would an L2 or L3 filter actually help with this? The ASI2600 manual shows that the window has the following bandpass which looks like an L2 filter.

a7TxtRY.jpg

Edited by Poynting, 08 April 2021 - 08:45 PM.

#7 Poynting

Poynting

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:20 PM

Would you consider this sample to have acceptable CA for a quadruplet (triplet with fpl-53 element, singlet flattener, f/5.8, 100mm)?

Perhaps my expectations are too high? Again I have been using a reflector for imaging, but I imagined these "APOs" would be better corrected? I'm ok with being wrong :)

#8 cedric_d

cedric_d

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:55 AM

Hi

Same issue with a f/4.4 94EDPH + ASI533MC : https://www.cloudyni...orrection-issue

I'm using an Astronomik L2, ordrered a L3, hope it helps.

• Poynting likes this

#9 Poynting

Poynting

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:36 AM

Hi

Same issue with a f/4.4 94EDPH + ASI533MC : https://www.cloudyni...orrection-issue

I'm using an Astronomik L2, ordrered a L3, hope it helps.

Interesting, I will be trying to get an L3 as well. Otherwise I love this scope, seems really well built, and the star shapes and flatness are great. I really want to love it.

#10 cedric_d

cedric_d

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:14 AM

I started some tests with L2 / L3 and without filters. L3 does not seem to help at all.

More details here : https://www.cloudyni...orrection-issue

#11 Poynting

Poynting

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:19 AM

I started some tests with L2 / L3 and without filters. L3 does not seem to help at all.

More details here : https://www.cloudyni...orrection-issue

Thanks for the reply. I just got my L3, and was able to test it last night, but it was very windy and only was able to get a few short subs. So far I think it is helping in my situation, though I will need to test more. I'm sorry to hear it didn't help yours.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics