•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clicklock vs Twist-on 2" diagonals

EAA Equipment Eyepieces Observing SCT Solar Moon
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:28 PM

Hello. I have an odd question about diagonals. Specifically, diagonals that DON'T use thumb screws. Short Version: Is there anything anyone has, in 2", that is better/easier than the Baader Clicklock?

Long Story: TBI caused lots of problems, but of concern here is the shaky hands and lack of fine motor skills; thumb screws hurt, don't get tight enough (my fault) and I keep losing the screws! So, going to upgrade the diagonal. The 2" Baader Clicklock is what I have been using as a measuring stick but it is quite costly ($310). I don't do any imaging, if that makes a difference. I've perused past CN threads and found nothing but some grumpy folks who can't imagine a world without thumb screws, thus my Long Story. If the Baader is the cat's pajamas, so be it. However I am certain someone has already solved this requirement.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Mike

• teashea likes this

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:32 PM

I believe APM has a cheaper twist lock diagonal. It might not work quite as well, but could be an option.

Twist lock is nice, and seems advantageous for your circumstances.

Scott
  • teashea likes this

#3 wrvond

wrvond

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:39 PM

I’ve had the William Optics 2” Roto-Lock with 1.25” adapter and the Baader 2” Click Lock with 1.25” adapter. 
The WO Roto-Locks work quite well, but it does feel like quite a bit of twisting is require to lock or unlock the eyepiece. The Baader Click Lock only requires 1/4 turn to lock or release the eyepiece. The Baader has a lever that allows you to turn the lock with one finger.

I much prefer the Baader system over any other I’ve looked at.

On my SCT I have the 2” Click Lock visual back, a 2” diagonal and the 2” Clicklock with 1.25” adapter. I also have it on my 120mm refractor and it’s going on my 12.5” Dob build.

IMG 4218
IMG 3846
FeatherTouch 2525HD 002

Edited by wrvond, 08 April 2021 - 08:43 PM.

• blakestree, Orion68, AJK 547 and 1 other like this

#4 PJBilotta

PJBilotta

Mariner 2

• Loc: Portland, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:05 PM

Yeah, the Baader is that good. So easy to use, incredibly solid and secure, and super convenient.

There now are some very good alternatives that cost significantly less but are still very nice. The new Celestron/Orion twist lock dielectric is very nice for around $200, and APM also has 2" models with twist lock mechanisms that are even nicer. Agena also carries some nice Antares options including a twist lock 2" visual back for $40 that can also double as an EP holder in a diagonal with a thread adapter.

Good news is that there are some good non-Baader options available for less, but the Baader's are so good, you also won't regret the investment if you choose to spend more.
  • blakestree, wrvond and teashea like this

#5 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:32 PM

I've fitted a Baader Clicklock to each of my scopes.

One holds a 2kg load absolutely securely. It's easy to use, even when gloves are necessary.

In all seriousness, it's a good product. The only reasonably priced 2" diagonal I'd recommend ahead of the Baader would be an Astro-Physics (but that uses a thumb screw.) There are a few more expensive models but I'm happy with my Baader and my A-P.

• RedzoneMN and teashea like this

#6 Orion68

Orion68

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

I just bought the Baader clicklock diagonal as well as the Clicklock visual backs for both my C8 and C11. So far I'm very impressed, beautiful fit and finish. Time will tell how long they keep working well, probably a long time.

One issue I have had (minor) with the C8 clicklock visual back is that it wants to loosen on the C8 rear cell threads when rotating the clicklock visual back rubber ring to remove the diagonal. There is no way to easily grab onto the visual back to tighten it onto the rear cell threads, it's a small shoulder on the visual back so tough to get a good purchase on it when screwing it onto the cell threads. I'm sure someone smarter than me has figured this out, maybe they will chime in.

Also, I have seen in print a complaint that the Clicklock does not really center the diagonal/eyepiece as advertised. This may be true and if it is, just a little bit disappointing. One of the reasons I bought mine is for the self centering feature. 

Also, the rotation needed to tighten down on the diagonal/eyepiece seems less that 1/4 of a turn to me. One quarter turn would be 90 degrees and I'm not turning the rubber ring any where near that much to tighten the Clicklock. It's a very small turn that is needed and it does hold securely.

I'm not familiar with the Rotolock so can't comment on that.

Good luck

• teashea likes this

#7 DavidSt

DavidSt

Explorer 1

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:18 PM

One thing to take into consideration is that some adapters remove more in travel focus than others. As much as I liked the ClickLock, the Williams RotoLock took a bit less and allowed me just enough to get all my eyepieces into focus using either a 2” mirror diagonal or 2” 45* diagonal where the ClickLock did not. It was just 1 or 2 mm short of me getting there. It’s easy to make up back travel. It’s not so easy to get more in travel. And though RotoLock takes a bit more than a quarter turn to fully lock down, it seems just a bit easier to get just the right amount of tension you want for holding onto accessories without them twisting out of alignment or falling out without applying too much pressure.

Edited by DavidSt, 09 April 2021 - 09:21 PM.

• teashea likes this

#8 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:07 PM

Thank you, all, for your assistance and expertise. In the final decision, I went with the Baader for my particular needs. For others who are following this thread, I compared the usual suspects from Baader, Celestron, Apertura, WO models that are easily found. Some of the less recognized products I also considered an APM (https://farpointastr...rism-fast-lock/), and a group of 6 offerings found in Britian. Article here: (https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/reviews/six-of-the-best-2-inch-dielectric-diagonals-99-200/).

Thanks all, again, for your time and willingness to readily share hard-won experience. 

Mike

• wrvond likes this

#9 Chris K

Chris K

Messenger

• Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:31 PM

I have the Apertura twist lock. Works great for me. It takes between 1/4 and 1/2 a turn. I have another on backorder.

• wrvond likes this

#10 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:17 AM

... Also, I have seen in print a complaint that the Clicklock does not really center the diagonal/eyepiece as advertised. This may be true and if it is, just a little bit disappointing. One of the reasons I bought mine is for the self centering feature. ...

This is odd - I use my (Mk V) binoviewers with eyepieces as short as 5mm and powers of ~275x. If the eyepieces were not being correctly centred, I'm pretty certain I would identify that they were misaligned. I use them with smooth sided eyepieces (Zeiss, Masuyama, Tak, Meade, Svbony) as well as Televue (old & new safety grooves),  Pentax XL and Vixen LVW.

My guess is that the Clicklock or the eyepiece that caused this problem was faulty.

• AJK 547 likes this

#11 Orion68

Orion68

Viking 1

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:36 PM

This is odd - I use my (Mk V) binoviewers with eyepieces as short as 5mm and powers of ~275x. If the eyepieces were not being correctly centred, I'm pretty certain I would identify that they were misaligned. I use them with smooth sided eyepieces (Zeiss, Masuyama, Tak, Meade, Svbony) as well as Televue (old & new safety grooves),  Pentax XL and Vixen LVW.

My guess is that the Clicklock or the eyepiece that caused this problem was faulty.

I also like the clicklock a lot. 

After reading a post on CN I looked at the mechanism and it did appear that when engaging the twistlock the brass ring did not expand evenly around the entire circumference of the eyepiece opening. However, to be fair, this was without an eyepiece inserted in the twistlock adapter so maybe it would be different with an eyepiece installed. That's why my post said "may not" center the eyepiece.

Glad to hear that your experience with centering of eyepieces is positivewaytogo.gif   

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EAA, Equipment, Eyepieces, Observing, SCT, Solar, Moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics