•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vixen/Polaris mount

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fowlerville, MI

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:52 AM

I fell into a deal yesterday, a classic Celestron 4.5 on a Vixen/Polaris mount for $35. The mount is in good shape for the mkst part, nothing that a tear down, restro work and paint cannot fix, but it is missing the polar scope and adapter. Does anyone have one they are willing to part with? Does anyone know if any modern ones will fit it? I know the original one would be useless but I like things complete. The mount still has all stickers and the fine tracking works. The chrome parts need attention and not sure if will need to be rechromed. The exposed metal has some corrosion but nothing a brush and baking soda can fix, followed by paint. A complete tear down will be needed as it has been in a MI basement for awhile. The scope has the typical dents and I may redo it, not sure atm.  My initial plan is to use it for the fast 6" Newt I am currently grinding.

Attached Thumbnails

• PXL_20210409_143820636~2_copy_1070x1217.jpg

Edited by Moonbiter, 09 April 2021 - 10:22 AM.

• blakestree, photomagica, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#2 tbundy614

tbundy614

Explorer 1

• Loc: 35.7596° N, 79.0193° W

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:14 AM

That's a great little project right there, think you got a good deal...would love to see it after you've cleaned it up smile.gif

#3 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:37 AM

Just so you know  the polar scope was an  accessory. So  the mount most likely didn't come with it. The polarscope for the Polaris is different the ones for the Super Polaris so if you find one make sure it for your mount and it does work well. 

By the way Hammertone Black paint will match the original paint very well. 

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 09 April 2021 - 11:19 AM.

• Jon Isaacs and Bomber Bob like this

#4 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for tbe paint recomendation. I guess I can just deal with the problem areas then maybe.

#5 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:32 AM

Pictures or even descriptions of the exploded R.A. assembly would be interesting.

There is a way around the glued in sheet metal end cap if that is still solid. 

#6 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:48 AM

Congrats on your find. They are a sweet and classic mount to be sure. I have a Polaris as well and I was lucky to have another CN member sell me a PAS he had (Thanks Russ!). The problem I ran into is that I was unable to find a PAS even close to the size of the Polaris item. This pic shows a size difference between an EQ-4 (left), CG-5 (right, illuminated) and the Vixen Polaris (right). I haven't been able to find a suitable reticule for replacement either.

You might hit the CN classifieds as I did and see if your have any luck.

Clear skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• PAS_800x600.jpg

#7 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:23 PM

What are the tube diameters of all 3? I am considering 3d printing a tube and find a modern reticle and make my own adapter. Pretty sure there is a way to make a new adapter that can use modern reticles.
  • GreyDay likes this

#8 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:42 PM

The Polaris PA scope small tube diameter is .710" and the thread bore in the RA axis on the mount is .805" . The CG-5 is .925 and so it's too big to begin with. The EQ-4 is .758". The EQ-4 PAS will slip past the threads but right past them there is a reduced diameter. The PAS will insert about .9" and stops. Hope this was helpful.

Clear skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• pas_1_400.jpg
  • pas_2_400.jpg

#9 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:47 PM

The optical tube diameter is 0.7005"  = 17.79mm. I noticed that Bluemoon's Polaris is set partway back in the collar.  All of mine have the tube flush to the face of the collar.  All of mine are also frozen in that position so the three set screws in the collar don't do anything. I'm not going to force them.  The optical tube is 3.53" long not counting the eyepiece and about 3.83" total with the eyepiece focused. 

I pulled a Super Polaris and put it back. It was huge by comparison to the Polaris. 

Edited by apfever, 09 April 2021 - 02:04 PM.

• BlueMoon likes this

#10 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:19 PM

I noticed that Bluemoon's Polaris is set partway back in the collar.

Thanks for noticing that. I though it was a bit too far extended and any altitude setting much above 50* was going to smack it into the mount. I'll have to look to moving it inwards a bit.

[EDIT] Fortunately the grub screws were easily loosened and the tube moved inwards.

Clear skies.

#11 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:18 PM

For the modern reticles, are they a standard diameter? If so what is it?

#12 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:29 PM

For the modern reticles, are they a standard diameter? If so what is it?

I don't believe there is a standard size for them. Seems that all the scope manufacturers just do their own thing.

#13 Moonbiter

Moonbiter

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:34 PM

It appears they are all 1 piece, that you cannot just buy the reticle eyepiece. Specifications for these things is not very descriptive lol

#14 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:55 PM

That's funny, i also bought a Polaris yesterday.  I would love to find a solution to mounting a polar scope to these things.

#15 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Surveyor 1

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:56 PM

It appears they are all 1 piece, that you cannot just buy the reticle eyepiece. Specifications for these things is not very descriptive lol

That's the rub. Some are, some aren't. Just finding the information on how to use that particular set of setting circles on the Polaris was difficult. Another CN member had instructions from the Atlus mount, which used a similar set-up and he sent me a .pdf. It really ended up being not in any documents about the mount itself, but in the owners manual for the C4.5! I've had a really tough time finding out much at all about the Polaris.

The reticule design itself is simple but one would be hard-pressed to find an image on the 'net. It's a cross-hairs with a circle centered on them. There is a smaller circle to place Polaris in where one of the cross-hairs intersects the circle. That's it. No constellation hints, graduated scales, nothing.

I would love to find a solution to mounting a polar scope to these things.

It's a tough nut to crack. I've even considered a Polemaster at one point but I'm not in that deep ... yet.

Clear skies.

#16 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 28 April 2021 - 03:53 PM

The polar scope has to be removed to use the mount in Alt/Az. I had a few and they always sold well and for more than the OP paid for this mount. I doubt the mount will ever produce results that justify attempting better polar alignment than you'll get from sighting Polaris through the finder bore. 

The Polaris is a great small mount for use with a long FL 114 mm Newt, a short FL 5-6" reflector or SCT. Best mod is to make the saddle dovetail friendly. Then maybe a RA drive. 

P1016307.JPG

#17 mpsteidle

mpsteidle

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:16 PM

Then maybe a RA drive. 

DEFINATELY an RA drive.  I have 3 polaris's and have the basic Celestron boxy RA drive on all of them.  Best small mount ever made.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics