•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Photonewton collimation primer

Astrophotography Collimation Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tommy_nawratil

tommy_nawratil

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austria/Europe

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:11 PM

hi,

having experience with Newtonians and related instruments since long, I have developed a maybe new method for collimating them especially for imaging.

There is a basic collimation with laser, and finetuning systematically using the startest and the symmetry of offaxis aberrations, and with the camera as a measuring device.

That means the collimation is done with the very equipment you use for your photography, and therefore optimized for that.

I have described everything somewhat lengthy maybe, but for the sake to instruct newbies to the topics as well. 

https://data.tommyna...n_Primer_EN.pdf

I had great success using it for Takahashi Epsilon Astrographs, too.

First I developed it when finetinung the field correction of some FSQ106 samples that had problems with star forms at the corners.

So I think the method is applicable to any imaging system, if you know how to adjust them.

Hope it helps you! Your feedback is welcome!

best regards

Tommy

Edited by tommy_nawratil, 09 April 2021 - 02:28 PM.

• psandelle, gatsbyiv, vehnae and 4 others like this

#2 vakulenko_sergiy

vakulenko_sergiy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Kiev, UA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:50 AM

Thank you for this document! I'm also a big fan of newtonians and it would be helpfull

#3 Maurice Toet

Maurice Toet

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zoetermeer, Netherlands

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:57 AM

Excellent article with some eye openers for recognising types of errors. Thank you for sharing, Tommy. I will use a full Moon night to improve the collimation of my Epsilon-180ED.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Collimation, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics