•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Asking for your Abell planetary nebula observations!

Eyepieces
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SNH

SNH

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:14 PM

As long as I’ve been observing, I’ve always liked planetary nebulae. One the biggest reason for that is because they are some of the easiest of DSOs to see in binoculars. It wasn't until Steve Gottlieb's article in the July 2017 issue of Sky & Telescope titled "George Abell's Ethereal Bubbles" that I got hooked on trying to view Abell PNe with my 10-inch SCT. For several years I only had a 1.25" DGM NPB filter to help me but last year got a 2.0" Lumicon O-III. I have now seen 28, which is over one-third of all the true planetary nebula on Abell's list. And of those 28, I've seen all but eight of them without a filter!

If you didn't know it already, I'm interested in the "smallest aperture sighting" of most deep-sky objects. So would you all mind looking through your observing records to tell me what you've used to see an Abell PNe (with or without a nebula filter)? I am working on a project of what is the minimum it takes to see each one. If you check out this link, you'll see an Excel spreadsheet that I originally found at skyandtelescope.org listing out all the Abell PNe (I think Steve Gottlieb also created it). I've started to modify it for my purposes and included observations from several observers who have specifically sought out Abell PNe.

It will be interesting to see the results -- especially of what people have seen without a filter. But I won't lie -- Uwe Glahn and myself have seen a lot of them with telescopes no larger than 16-inches. So make sure to look at the list I've already created!

Here is a link to a PDF created by Reiner Vogul that plots all of them.

Thank you all, and I look forward to your responses! But even if you don't have anything to add, I hope you are at least inspired.

Scott

• j.gardavsky and MichoFreakshow like this

#2 Sasa

Sasa

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:26 AM

I saw not many Abell planetaries as my largest scopes are at 4-6" range.

IC1454 - probable but unsure observation with 130mm refractor + UHC, ať the limit of detection; sure observation with 150mm Cassegrain + OIII: very faint fuzzy spot preceding faint star, can be hold with averted vision for short moments only

NGC7076 - 150mm Cassegrain + OIII; faint fuzzy spot slightly elongated at PA~0°

That's it. From other difficult observations I would mention Jones1, which I was able to find in 95mm refractor with OIII.

Edited by Sasa, 10 April 2021 - 12:27 AM.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#3 KidOrion

KidOrion

Vanguard

• Loc: Eugene, OR

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:56 PM

I've done the following, Abell-wise, with a 12.5" f/5 (mostly at 112x):

Abell 70 (seen with no filter, greatly enhanced by OIII)

Abell 43 (seen with no filter, greatly enhanced by OIII)

Abell 55 (unseen without filter; best seen with DGM NPB filter)

Abell 65 (unseen without filter, greatly enhanced by UHC)

Abell 39 (seen with no filter, somewhat enhanced by OIII, best in UHC)

Abell 4 (seen with no filter, enhanced by UHC; greatly enhanced by OIII)

Abell 20 (seen with no filter, enhanced by UHC; greatly enhanced by OIII)

Abell 21 (seen with no filter, enhanced by UHC; greatly enhanced by OIII)

• Sasa, Astro-Master, j.gardavsky and 1 other like this

#4 SNH

SNH

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:03 PM

So, congratulations to both @Sasa and @KidOrion! They each have made a “minimum aperture” observation of an Abell planetary nebula that I had not heard of before. Sasa’s was seeing Abell 75 (NGC 7076) with his 5.9” telescope and a filter while KidOrion’s was seeing Abell 20 with his 12.5” telescope and no filter! I’ll update the spreadsheet as soon as I can.

As for myself, I’ve got five Abell PNe (10, 33, 39, 50, 81) I need to attempt to see with my 5.1” and filter in the next few months since Uwe Glahn has seen each of them with his 4” and a filter! You'll have to try them too, Sasa. Oh, and thanks for that observations of Jones 1 in a 95mm with a filter. I'll log it somewhere for future reference...

Scott

#5 SNH

SNH

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:31 PM

Oh, forgot to include a link to Uwe Glahn's excellent website, http://www.deepsky-visuell.de/

• j.gardavsky likes this

#6 timokarhula

timokarhula

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 12 April 2021 - 04:53 AM

Hi Scott.  I have seen one Abell planetary not logged by you according to the spreadsheet.  That is Abell 46 in Lyra.  I viewed it unfiltered with my 12-inch Dob and 188x magnification in August 2017.  Abell 46 was faint, quite small and had a pale disc.  Also the central star was faintly visible.

/Timo Karhula

• SNH, j.gardavsky and CMDRExorcist like this

#7 SNH

SNH

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 13 April 2021 - 06:40 AM

Hi Scott.  I have seen one Abell planetary not logged by you according to the spreadsheet.  That is Abell 46 in Lyra.  I viewed it unfiltered with my 12-inch Dob and 188x magnification in August 2017.  Abell 46 was faint, quite small and had a pale disc.  Also the central star was faintly visible.

/Timo Karhula

Brilliant, Timo! Thank you. Now it would appear that I should have no trouble spotting Abell 46 with a filter!!

I was able to see Abell 33 and 39 with my 5.1" and a filter, so I've updated the Excel spreadsheet.

Scott

Edited by SNH, 13 April 2021 - 06:41 AM.

#8 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Germany

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:55 PM

Hello Scott,

not many Abell planetaries so far, but here are at least five:

Abell 7: 6“ F/5 achro,  eyepiece Zeiss D 30x/40x B WW f=12.6mm, UHC averted, direct vision not steady, oval form, Bortle 4, 24.02.2017

Abell 12: 6" F/5achro, OIII Baader 10nm, eyepieces: Leica HC Plan S f=25mm, Pentax O-18mm, Baader Eu 10mm, Pentax XW 7mm: averted vision disc, Bortle 4, 21.04.2019

Abell 21 (Medusa): 15x85 binoculars with UHC filter, direct vision oval, Bortle 3-4, 07.03.2011

Abell 31: 15x85 binoculars with the blue(RGB)CCD filters, very faint disc, slightly irregular, averted to direct vision, Bortle 3-4, 27.02.2019

Abell 39: 6" F/5achro, UHC filter, eyepiece: Swarovski 10.2mm, very faint and difficult to keep with direct vision, Bortle 4-5, 07.08.2015

Clear skies,

JG

Edited by j.gardavsky, 13 April 2021 - 03:55 PM.

• Sasa, SNH and Voyager 3 like this

#9 SNH

SNH

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 14 April 2021 - 09:54 PM

Hello Scott,

not many Abell planetaries so far, but here are at least five:

Abell 7: 6“ F/5 achro,  eyepiece Zeiss D 30x/40x B WW f=12.6mm, UHC averted, direct vision not steady, oval form, Bortle 4, 24.02.2017

Abell 12: 6" F/5achro, OIII Baader 10nm, eyepieces: Leica HC Plan S f=25mm, Pentax O-18mm, Baader Eu 10mm, Pentax XW 7mm: averted vision disc, Bortle 4, 21.04.2019

Abell 21 (Medusa): 15x85 binoculars with UHC filter, direct vision oval, Bortle 3-4, 07.03.2011

Abell 31: 15x85 binoculars with the blue(RGB)CCD filters, very faint disc, slightly irregular, averted to direct vision, Bortle 3-4, 27.02.2019

Abell 39: 6" F/5achro, UHC filter, eyepiece: Swarovski 10.2mm, very faint and difficult to keep with direct vision, Bortle 4-5, 07.08.2015

Clear skies,

JG

Hey, thanks a lot Jiri! You've made some really good observations that beat many of mine. But Uwe Glahn had you on most of them...except for seeing Abell 31 in 15x85 binoculars and a filter(s)! So I've added it to my spreadsheet and will update it when I get a chance.

Again, thank you all for helping me,

Scott

• j.gardavsky likes this

#10 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Germany

Posted 15 April 2021 - 02:53 AM

Scott,

I can't beat you, and I can't beat Uwe, I just wanted to help.

Thank you very much for your kind lines,

Jiri

• Voyager 3 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics