•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dss isn't stacking when adding calibration frames

Beginner Astrophotography Software
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Idkwhatsgoingon

Idkwhatsgoingon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:52 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to astrophotography and astronomy as a while and I've been starting to have issues. I took images of m81 yesterday and after adding all of the images and the calibration frames to dss it says that only one frame will be stacked.

If I leave out the calibration frames then it lets me stack but the final result is completely white and no amount of stretching does anything.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

#2 Reece

Reece

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:05 PM

Have you tried reloading the default DeepSkyStacker settings? I have problems with DSS sometimes however this has always fixed them. On my version of DSS, this is done by going to the Options menu, clicking "Load" and then clicking "Restore Default Settings". As a last resort, you could try deleting the DSS application and reinstalling it. You will of course have to re-enter any changes you have made to the default settings if you follow any of these suggestions. Hope this helps!

Edited by Reece, 10 April 2021 - 02:06 PM.

#3 rj144

rj144

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:08 PM

Are you loading everything correctly?  Flats as flats, darks as darks, etc...?

• Stelios likes this

#4 StarBurger

StarBurger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:13 PM

We need a little more info here such as equipment used , camera, exp times, # of exposures etc. 

An image of at least one raw sub frame will help, otherwise we are all guessing.

• Mike in Rancho likes this

#5 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:29 PM

We need a little more info here such as equipment used , camera, exp times, # of exposures etc. 

An image of at least one raw sub frame will help, otherwise we are all guessing.

Yep!  Helpful also would be to tell us what DSS is thinking about your files.  If you load your saved list back in (if you saved it) or run registration without going straight into stacking, the file list will have a lot of details about what it found.  More so if you run "compute offsets" to fill in those columns too.

#6 Idkwhatsgoingon

Idkwhatsgoingon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:12 PM

I did not expect this many replies so quickly but i uploaded my files to drive so you guys can have a look. I know some of my images suck but it was quite windy last night.

Equipment: Meade Starnavigator 90mm refractor with tracking mount and a canon rebel t5 unmodified.

The pictures with the calibration frames: https://drive.google...usr?usp=sharing

Edit: looking at my frames I can see the issue is probably my focus. Whoops

Edited by Idkwhatsgoingon, 10 April 2021 - 03:13 PM.

• Reece likes this

#7 rj144

rj144

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:16 PM

Is it an Alt/Az mount?  It looks like there's field rotation which perhaps might be causing a problem.

#8 Idkwhatsgoingon

Idkwhatsgoingon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:18 PM

It is an alt/AZ mount but it worked before so idk if the field rotation is the issue.

#9 rj144

rj144

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:24 PM

It is an alt/AZ mount but it worked before so idk if the field rotation is the issue.

There seems to be a lot of field rotation though... pick a reference frame that's at an angle in the middle and see what happens.  This will most likely be in the middle of your lights.

#10 Idkwhatsgoingon

Idkwhatsgoingon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 03:49 PM

The issue is that it doesn't stack when I add my calibration frames. It says that only one frame will be stacked out of 259.

#11 rj144

rj144

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:05 PM

The issue is that it doesn't stack when I add my calibration frames. It says that only one frame will be stacked out of 259.

What are the offsets whe you stack with calibration?

#12 rj144

rj144

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:19 PM

The problem could be your out of focus stars that can't be registered or your field rotation.  I grabbed a few of your pics (not all) and tried.  With or without calibration, only one could be stacked because the offsets were too much:

offset.jpg

#13 Idkwhatsgoingon

Idkwhatsgoingon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:38 PM

The problem could be your out of focus stars that can't be registered or your field rotation. I grabbed a few of your pics (not all) and tried. With or without calibration, only one could be stacked because the offsets were too much:

offset.jpg

#14 Idkwhatsgoingon

Idkwhatsgoingon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:38 PM

Should I just chalk that up to a bad night and try again another time?

#15 Idkwhatsgoingon

Idkwhatsgoingon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:28 PM

One last question. Do you know how I could counter this issue? Would I just take shorter exposures or is it just the focus?

#16 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:51 PM

I downloaded 10 lights, like 1 out of every 10, and 3 each of the calibration frames.  I also could not make anything out of it.  Now, I don't normally use CR2 files, so I don't know if there are more optimal DSS settings to help with those.  Maybe not.

But no matter what settings I changed, the results were the same - DSS could not find out where it was.  Or where you were I guess.

Eyeballing things, I could.  There were stars and maybe a galaxy shape in there?  And I bumped the gain too, which helped a bit.  Nonetheless, even though in registration DSS said it was finding stars, I don't think it really was.  Not usable ones, anyway.  And the offsets it gave did not match up with the large field shifts I noticed just from looking.

Hovering the cursor over things, all the stars were in fact...donuts.  So focus probably explains most of it.  If that was better, we might be able to at least make something out of it, even if it was in mosaic mode.

So, first thing - let's hear your focus procedure and see what we can do about improving that.  Then maybe test for exposure length and star drift after that.

Neither the scope nor the mount will do you any favors, but, as long as you are aware of those limitations you should be able to get a little something.  And that might whet your appetite to move on to an EQ tracking mount, perhaps.

Googling it, other than the color it looks an awful lot like my old DS-2090.  Hopefully the focuser is better.  On the DS it was plastic and downright awful.  I eventually replaced it with a GSO Crayford.  The DS mount and Autostar was actually okay as far as GOTO and tracking for visual.  I also used it for "lucky imaging" movie clips of the moon, Jupiter, Saturn.  But I didn't try that 90mm achro for much deep space at all, until I put it on an HEQ5.

Oh, do you have any camera lenses for your Canon?  Unless you already have tried, it might be a little easier to learn the basics with that and even a static tripod.  That's how I got my first "legit" DSO with my Nikon.

Anyway...joined today...I missed that.  Welcome!

Edited by Mike in Rancho, 10 April 2021 - 08:53 PM.

#17 Idkwhatsgoingon

Idkwhatsgoingon

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:19 PM

I downloaded 10 lights, like 1 out of every 10, and 3 each of the calibration frames. I also could not make anything out of it. Now, I don't normally use CR2 files, so I don't know if there are more optimal DSS settings to help with those. Maybe not.

But no matter what settings I changed, the results were the same - DSS could not find out where it was. Or where you were I guess.

Eyeballing things, I could. There were stars and maybe a galaxy shape in there? And I bumped the gain too, which helped a bit. Nonetheless, even though in registration DSS said it was finding stars, I don't think it really was. Not usable ones, anyway. And the offsets it gave did not match up with the large field shifts I noticed just from looking.

Hovering the cursor over things, all the stars were in fact...donuts. So focus probably explains most of it. If that was better, we might be able to at least make something out of it, even if it was in mosaic mode.

So, first thing - let's hear your focus procedure and see what we can do about improving that. Then maybe test for exposure length and star drift after that.

Neither the scope nor the mount will do you any favors, but, as long as you are aware of those limitations you should be able to get a little something. And that might whet your appetite to move on to an EQ tracking mount, perhaps.

Googling it, other than the color it looks an awful lot like my old DS-2090. Hopefully the focuser is better. On the DS it was plastic and downright awful. I eventually replaced it with a GSO Crayford. The DS mount and Autostar was actually okay as far as GOTO and tracking for visual. I also used it for "lucky imaging" movie clips of the moon, Jupiter, Saturn. But I didn't try that 90mm achro for much deep space at all, until I put it on an HEQ5.

Oh, do you have any camera lenses for your Canon? Unless you already have tried, it might be a little easier to learn the basics with that and even a static tripod. That's how I got my first "legit" DSO with my Nikon.

Anyway...joined today...I missed that. Welcome!

Hi wow that was a lot of good info thank you! I didnt notice how bad my focus was until this morning so that was my bad.

I do have a few lenses for the camera so maybe that'll work better. There is an ad for a lightly used sky watcher star tracker so maybe I'll try to pick that up.

Thanks again

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Astrophotography, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics