•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SXD2 Tracking - impressive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:05 PM

Tonight I put my Mewlon 180B onto my Vixen SXD2 mount and took a 60 second exposure. Ignore the quality of the image; I didn't buy a Mewlon to take photos through, but for a 60 second exposure, unguided, with a 2160mm focal length telescope, is this pretty good or just par for the course?

To my eyes it looks fine so if I stick to taking photos through my SW 130PDS, I'm hoping I'd never need to think about guiding.

M51 Mewlon 1600.jpg

• payner, dUbeni, Ettu and 2 others like this

#2 teashea

teashea

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:21 PM

Very nice indeed.  I have two SXD2's but have my Mewlon 180C on a SX2.  Vixen does well.

M4.jpg

• osbourne one-nil and payner like this

#3 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: Kitchener, Ontario

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:42 PM

I would say it’s excellent results at that focal length.

Did you try going longer?
What method did you use for polar aligning ?
  • osbourne one-nil and teashea like this

#4 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:04 AM

Thanks both - I didn't go beyond 1 minute with the Mewlon because cloud came over, but the night before I took some 2 min exposures of the Leo Triplet with my 130PDS, so only 650mm focal length. 

Leo triplet 1600.jpg

My thinking is, because I find myself enjoying simple astrophotography FAR more than I ever thought I would....to get something like an R200SS. Seeing as that would only be 800mm focal length, I think it could be a great combination. 

• mcnamado and teashea like this

#5 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:56 AM

The most wonderful thing is that a mount capable of good unguided performances will be truly easy to guide.

If the mount is mechanically reliable the guider will have much less troubles; also, if opt for a closed system like the MGENs, you do not have to bother about software issues and the "complexity" of the process boils down to turning on the HC and starting the sequence.

• teashea likes this

#6 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:44 AM

A little RA drift but very impressive for 2160mm FL.

• teashea likes this

#7 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:33 AM

Thanks both - I didn't go beyond 1 minute with the Mewlon because cloud came over, but the night before I took some 2 min exposures of the Leo Triplet with my 130PDS, so only 650mm focal length. 

attachicon.gifLeo triplet 1600.jpg

My thinking is, because I find myself enjoying simple astrophotography FAR more than I ever thought I would....to get something like an R200SS. Seeing as that would only be 800mm focal length, I think it could be a great combination. 

Yes, at the shorter focal length of 650mm it seems the mount is tracking well enough to go unguided, at least for shorter sub exposures. If you venture into doing EAA with exposures that are typically shorter than a minute or two, you can certainly go unguded at that focal length with your Vixen mount.

I don't have a SXD2, but my old Super Polaris is not that good unguided, unfortunately.smile.gif

• teashea likes this

#8 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: Kitchener, Ontario

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:17 AM

I owned the original SXD mount many years ago and sorry I sold it. The fellow who bought it from me messaged afterwards and commented how smooth the periodic error was he was very impressed with the mount.
  • teashea likes this

#9 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 02:11 PM

Annoyingly it's clear tonight again. I say annoyingly because I'm very tired but I'll be brave and try some more tonight. 

I would say it’s excellent results at that focal length.

Did you try going longer?
What method did you use for polar aligning ?

I just used the spine-warping polar scope that comes with the mount. I've found it to be excellent to be fair. I then go and use the "align" function on 3 well-spaced stars and after that everything has always appeared bang in the middle of my camera's sensor, which is very handy!

• Tim, dUbeni and teashea like this

#10 teashea

teashea

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 12 April 2021 - 05:27 PM

Annoyingly it's clear tonight again. I say annoyingly because I'm very tired but I'll be brave and try some more tonight. 

I just used the spine-warping polar scope that comes with the mount. I've found it to be excellent to be fair. I then go and use the "align" function on 3 well-spaced stars and after that everything has always appeared bang in the middle of my camera's sensor, which is very handy!

That is a good procedure.

#11 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:44 AM

I just used the spine-warping polar scope that comes with the mount. I've found it to be excellent to be fair. 

You could always dabble with SharpCap if you have an appropriate camera. However, as your PA looks to be fine with the polar scope, the main consideration is probably how painful it is for your spine. smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics