•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Cave - Lots of questions

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:54 PM

Picked up the Cave 8" f/4.5 from the Classifieds today. OTA is really nice (paint has no marks, optics are pristine) but mount has some rust and paint loss. I will be fixing that. The scope came without tube straps but I happened to have some from a scrapped DS-10 so I chopped them down, drilled new holes and they fit the 8 perfectly. However, I have a few questions/concerns:

1. The scope doesn't actually balance with the two included weights, and it doesn't even have a finder or any heavy eyepieces. There isn't exactly room on the counterweight shaft for more counterweights. Um, what?
  2. There's no finder nor any holes for one. Is sticking a Telrad on here acceptable? Why aren't there holes for a finder? Was one expected to sight down the tube?
  3. What is the point of these wheels on it? I can't actually lock the scope in place, so it wobbles like crazy unless I were to take the wheels off, which brings the height low enough to be uncomfortable.
  4. What model is this?
  5. Why have I never seen another Cave without a motor drive? Would one from a Meade DS-10 mount fit?
  6. What's this worth currently? I see a really beat-up one on the Classifieds going for $400, but it has rotating rings and a finder, and a helical focuser (albeit it's in worse shape by far). 
  7. What's this worth if I clean it up?
  8. How could I add locks/levelers for the wheels?

Thanks!

IMG_9558s.jpg

• deepwoods1, Terra Nova, dgreyson and 3 others like this

#2 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:00 PM

They are not the factory weights so they are way too small I Telrad will be fine as wine. Could have been made that way from Cave without a finder at order.  Looks to be a stripped down strap ring model that was very basic to save on cost. They made a 10" for the same mount.  Not sure on model but maybe student standard. Wheels are on ok in the grass as they won't roll easy.  I would offer up $400 for the OTA alone.  Mount is way too small in my book for high power work.  I had a Parks 8" F/6 on their 1" shaft mount and it was junk as the scope had the shakes just looking at it.

Looks to be a later 70's made scope with the thicker end rings. Never in FL.

• Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#3 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:02 PM

They are not the factory weights so they are way too small I Telrad will be fine as wine. Could have been made that way from Cave without a finder at order.  Looks to be a stripped down strap ring model that was very basic to save on cost. They made a 10" for the same mount.  Not sure on model but maybe student standard. Wheels are on ok in the grass as they won't roll easy.  I would offer up $400 for the OTA alone.  Mount is way too small in my book for high power work.  I had a Parks 8" F/6 on their 1" shaft mount and it was junk as the scope had the shakes just looking at it.

Looks to be a later 70's made scope with the thicker end rings. Never in FL.

I was told it's from 1975.

#4 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:06 PM

That is about the time from mid to later 70's.  Test that mirror out.  A drive was never added at time of order. Not sure if other makers drives will fit the mounting holes. I fine them mounts much more smooth without a drive and the clutch slop at very high powers.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#5 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:09 PM

1. My 8" and 10" Caves have much larger diameter 'pancake' weights.

2. Look inside for possible patches for finder holes. Yours is a Rich Field so: YEA you just might be expected to eye sight it. 

3. Wheels are what it was. My 8" is the same, same legs.

4. I have no idea what model.

5. I've seen some without motors but haven't owned one. Wait, the one Chuck got from me may not have a drive. It happens, and being rich field makes visual easier without a drive. 

6. It's worth more than what you paid, easy. Smile.

7. Have fun and smile more.

8. Get some tight fitting boards. It's easy to lift a leg and slip a board under it.

Get the primary out and check the inscriptions for date and other info. Everybody likes to know that stuff. OOOHHHH AAHHHH, primary pictures.

I see your Table 6 Nagler sold quick.

Edited by apfever, 10 April 2021 - 07:15 PM.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#6 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:10 PM

My 1975 has cast tube end rings; thicker. My 1979 has the thinner aluminum ones.

Just for info', my 1955 has riveted on rings. Only did this for 3 - 4 years, I believe.

Student models are stripped down to keep cost down.

No motor, but locks on both axis. Small mount I suspect, also.

Clear Skies.

#7 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:13 PM

My 2 - 10" scopes have weights shaped like you have, only larger diameter.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#8 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:14 PM

Is the mirror marked?

#9 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 April 2021 - 07:37 PM

Sweet!

All I had was a print Cave catalog which was great if you didn't mind the stains of schoolboy drool.

Not too unlike the pages of most any copy of Playboy of the same vintage.

#10 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:32 PM

Looks like a practical scope for casual observing. Nice. Definitely needs heavier weights.
  • Terra Nova likes this

#11 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:36 PM

Mirror inscription

IMG_9563.JPEG

• deepwoods1, icomet, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#12 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:52 AM

My 1975 has cast tube end rings; thicker. My 1979 has the thinner aluminum ones.

Just for info', my 1955 has riveted on rings. Only did this for 3 - 4 years, I believe.

Student models are stripped down to keep cost down.

No motor, but locks on both axis. Small mount I suspect, also.

Clear Skies.

Mid 60's had the rivet on end rings.  They were all missed and matched over the years.  They were using Meade tubes near the end.

#13 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:59 AM

Picked up the Cave 8" f/4.5 from the Classifieds today. OTA is really nice (paint has no marks, optics are pristine) but mount has some rust and paint loss. I will be fixing that. The scope came without tube straps but I happened to have some from a scrapped DS-10 so I chopped them down, drilled new holes and they fit the 8 perfectly. However, I have a few questions/concerns:

1. The scope doesn't actually balance with the two included weights, and it doesn't even have a finder or any heavy eyepieces. There isn't exactly room on the counterweight shaft for more counterweights. Um, what?
  2. There's no finder nor any holes for one. Is sticking a Telrad on here acceptable? Why aren't there holes for a finder? Was one expected to sight down the tube?
  3. What is the point of these wheels on it? I can't actually lock the scope in place, so it wobbles like crazy unless I were to take the wheels off, which brings the height low enough to be uncomfortable.
  4. What model is this?
  5. Why have I never seen another Cave without a motor drive? Would one from a Meade DS-10 mount fit?
  6. What's this worth currently? I see a really beat-up one on the Classifieds going for $400, but it has rotating rings and a finder, and a helical focuser (albeit it's in worse shape by far). 
  7. What's this worth if I clean it up?
  8. How could I add locks/levelers for the wheels?

Thanks!

attachicon.gifIMG_9558s.jpg

Nice looking scope.  Congrats on a great find.

#14 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

Posted 11 April 2021 - 11:17 AM

Mid 60's had the rivet on end rings.  They were all missed and matched over the years.  They were using Meade tubes near the end.

My scope has round head rivets.

Clear Skies.

Attached Thumbnails

• email id 12.5_ f_7.jpg

• Bomber Bob, Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#15 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:12 PM

Thanks guys. I've really though about it and unfortunately I don't think I'm going to keep this. I've been researching motor drives and looking for counterweights and it seems like quite the investment to get it to a useful state and when I have an RV6 sitting here ready to go I don't feel like it's really all that worth it. Plus it takes up a lot of floor space.

• Mr Magoo, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#16 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:48 PM

Thanks guys. I've really though about it and unfortunately I don't think I'm going to keep this. I've been researching motor drives and looking for counterweights and it seems like quite the investment to get it to a useful state and when I have an RV6 sitting here ready to go I don't feel like it's really all that worth it. Plus it takes up a lot of floor space.

Gonna need a 1.25" Paracorr as well. If it were close and it had a super good mirror i would move the spider forward and have a low profile 2" focuser and get a mount that can really hold it well. Would love to have it but never in FL.

• Bomber Bob, Augustus and Defenderslideguitar like this

#17 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:57 PM

Sometimes you just gotta say, No Way.  When I got my 826, it made my RV-6 redundant -- let someone else enjoy this Classic.

• icomet and Augustus like this

#18 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:14 PM

That’s a really nice scope Zane. I hope you decide to fix it up the few things that need fixing and keep it. 

• Augustus likes this

#19 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:30 PM

That’s a really nice scope Zane. I hope you decide to fix it up the few things that need fixing and keep it. 

I certainly could but it would be a decent investment to locate the correct counterweights and a suitable drive, and I feel like I wouldn't use it much. The only use I can really see for it is as an outreach scope and I feel like it's overkill for that purpose and would seldom be needed for that. I'm glad I threw together straps so someone can actually use it and I think it deserves a better home.

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics