Picked up the Cave 8" f/4.5 from the Classifieds today. OTA is really nice (paint has no marks, optics are pristine) but mount has some rust and paint loss. I will be fixing that. The scope came without tube straps but I happened to have some from a scrapped DS-10 so I chopped them down, drilled new holes and they fit the 8 perfectly. However, I have a few questions/concerns:
- The scope doesn't actually balance with the two included weights, and it doesn't even have a finder or any heavy eyepieces. There isn't exactly room on the counterweight shaft for more counterweights. Um, what?
- There's no finder nor any holes for one. Is sticking a Telrad on here acceptable? Why aren't there holes for a finder? Was one expected to sight down the tube?
- What is the point of these wheels on it? I can't actually lock the scope in place, so it wobbles like crazy unless I were to take the wheels off, which brings the height low enough to be uncomfortable.
- What model is this?
- Why have I never seen another Cave without a motor drive? Would one from a Meade DS-10 mount fit?
- What's this worth currently? I see a really beat-up one on the Classifieds going for $400, but it has rotating rings and a finder, and a helical focuser (albeit it's in worse shape by far).
- What's this worth if I clean it up?
- How could I add locks/levelers for the wheels?